• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 0 Manchester United 0

Ham   
9 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

And AND he looks like a young Harry Enfield

'e doesn't wanna do wing back like that..... He wants to do it like Marcos. That's what 'e wants to do...... 

3 hours ago, Ham said:

Alonso still offers more if we're sticking with 3 at the back. 

Yep. And my guess is that we will be, at least until the end of the season. 

7 hours ago, Ham said:

Alonso still offers more if we're sticking with 3 at the back. 

Agree against most teams However against the dipper he's a huge gamble due to his lack of pace and defensive acumen.  Terrance Trent D'arby and Salah will look to utilize the space behind him. and overload Rudiger.

paulw66   
14 hours ago, Ham said:

If we're looking for someone to accept a pass on the touchline and eventually pass it back whence it came for 90 minutes then he's right up there. 

He looks bereft of ideas and lacking in confidence. Alonso still offers more if we're sticking with 3 at the back. 

Bit harsh on Chilwell. He did set up the games best chance 

Jasonb   
7 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Agree against most teams However against the dipper he's a huge gamble due to his lack of pace and defensive acumen.  Terrance Trent D'arby and Salah will look to utilize the space behind him. and overload Rudiger.

I see it like that too, Alonso too much of a risk and instead Chilwell with more defensive pace yet probably less goal threat. 

22 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I thought he was unadventurous and negated his attacking responsibilities , however that may be team orders from Tommy Trinder . 

He certainly isn’t the same player at WB as he is at LB. it’s subtle differences, but they are there nonetheless. 

I still think we should go with a more attacking LWB - such as Pulisic. Could he one way for us to be better in the final third. I don’t see any reason at all to have two FBs at WB. That’s too defensive. 

Rob B   
1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

He certainly isn’t the same player at WB as he is at LB. it’s subtle differences, but they are there nonetheless. 

I still think we should go with a more attacking LWB - such as Pulisic. Could he one way for us to be better in the final third. I don’t see any reason at all to have two FBs at WB. That’s too defensive. 

Yep I’ve made this point before on LWB too.  If we are going to persist with 3 at the back, and any two of Kante, Kova and Jorg in central midfield then we need full backs that can attack - and I don’t just mean whip a good ball in, but take people on, run beyond defenders etc. 

Edited by Rob B

Diddymen   
8 minutes ago, Rob B said:

Yep I’ve made this point before on LWB too.  If we are going to persist with 3 at the back, and any two of Kante, Kova and Jorg in central midfield then we need full backs that can attack - and I don’t just mean whip a good ball in, but take people on, run beyond defenders etc. 

I think TT played Pulisic some minutes as a LWB towards the end of the wolves game, but he has been so out form recently that it would be a huge risk

1 hour ago, Diddymen said:

I think TT played Pulisic some minutes as a LWB towards the end of the wolves game, but he has been so out form recently that it would be a huge risk

Pulisic actually came on as RWB and CHO switched over. In fact pretty much all Pulisic's performances under TT have been on the right which I don't think suits him. I guess the issue is Werner is more comfortable from the left and playing much better. 

bert19   
2 hours ago, Rob B said:

It's a big problem.  We have 7 of the outfield 10 that won't break further forward than 30-40 yards from the opposition goal.  Kovacic and Jorginho will never make runs that either break defensive lines or take shots from outside (or inside) area.  Reece sometimes overlaps the forwards to get crosses in, but no one else ever does (outside of CHO being a forward playing at WB). 

We need a CM or two that are willing to shoot, or just make runs into the penalty area to a) increase numbers getting into the oppo area and b) create some variation to the runs that are made.  We also need both WBs to be willing to make a combo of overlapping runs, direct runs into the box to pull defenders out of position and be the spare man at the back post when the build up is from their opposite wing.  All of those things would help to vary our attacking play and make us harder to defend against.  

We also need more of our defenders and particularly our CMs to play the ball forward a lot quicker.  Don't receive, look up, take another touch, then pass - the pass needs to be in mind before they receive the ball.  Fabregas was a master of this, Jorginho barely does it. 

Mount could fulfill that role I suspect, but TT seems determined to use him as part of the front 3, but moving him back to CM when we're searching for a goal could be highly effective.  His instinct is always to pass forward, he makes runs into the box and he has a decent shot on him.  

I'd also like to see CHO, Reece, Alonso & Chilwell showing real willingness to test goalkeepers much more often than they do.  Cut in and shoot, shoot first time across the goalie when that overlap is played in etc.