• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Liverpool 0 Chelsea 1

On 05/03/2021 at 9:49 AM, thevelourfog said:

I think the written law broadly is (although maybe your head can also be offside ... Which reads very oddly said like that!). It's the application that needs changing. Last night was a particularly egregious example of this kind of VAR decision, but it was just another in a long line made this season for and against various teams.

For me it's a matter of remembering why we have an offside rule; what possible advantage does a potential goalscorer have over a defender if they are a negligible, humanly imperceptible distance ahead of them*? And if the answer is none (and it is), why do we need to legislate against it? 

*Aware the consensus for this specific example is that Werner wasn't actually ahead of Robertson, but I think they key to not making bad decisions like this is just not second-guessing them. If it's not completely clear, let it go.

Like I stated before, indeed hands should not be considered. Werner was CLEARLY ONSIDE and yet it was ruled out. 

The only body part that was offside was his hand. Hands and arms cannot be offside according to the FA. 

Offside position

It is not an offence to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:

• any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
  • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent
  • The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered.

A player is not in an offside position if level with the:

• second-last opponent or
  • last two opponents

paulw66   
2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Like I stated before, indeed hands should not be considered. Werner was CLEARLY ONSIDE and yet it was ruled out. 

The only body part that was offside was his hand. Hands and arms cannot be offside according to the FA. 

Offside position

It is not an offence to be in an offside position.

A player is in an offside position if:

• any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
  • any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent
  • The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered.

A player is not in an offside position if level with the:

• second-last opponent or
  • last two opponents

Yes, you are right, that is word for word on the FA website........... I don't know what to make of it. 

21 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Yes, you are right, that is word for word on the FA website........... I don't know what to make of it. 

They have redefined the arm - armpit/sleeve is not part of the arm anymore!

paulw66   
44 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

They have redefined the arm - armpit/sleeve is not part of the arm anymore!

of course!

chara   
4 hours ago, paulw66 said:

of course!

And I understand there is a suggestion that the goal posts be moved..on an individual game basis....makes sense.

chara   

Hmm...thought a bit more about the goal post issue...a perfect example of VAR usage....depending on the game VAR "officials" will decide if the actual goal line is the goal line and if in fact it is further back than defined by the outdated use of white pitch markings....progress is all.....