• Current Donation Goals

JaneB   

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our Premier League match against Everton at Stamford Bridge before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 18:00 hours on Monday, 8th March 2021 (Local UK time/date) (Live on BT Sport)

Must win game .

Lol.

Diddymen   
On 02/03/2021 at 2:43 PM, Mark Kelly said:

Must win game .

Lol.

It is!

But I think more so for Everton

Chrisb   

A good chance to avenge the defeat at their place earlier in the season. 

Ham   
39 minutes ago, Chrisb said:

A good chance to avenge the defeat at their place earlier in the season. 

As long as we are cute enough to cut off the supply from the creator in goal and mark the other two Everton players, we'll be fine. 

Sciatika   

I expect to see a few people telling us how hard this game will be but, if we win, informing us that the result tells us nothing because Everton were rubbish. Plus ça change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It’s a big game this, if we win then it really puts us in pole position for a top 4 space, which I genuinely didn’t think we’d achieve this season. The trouble is, we seem to have a habit of dropping points the match after a big win against a rival, so the inevitable ‘Chelsea nerves’ are kicking in for this one.

Interesting to see who TT picks for this one, I suspect he has quite a few decisions to make...

Silva back in for Christensen? Be a big call to drop Christensen, but Silva is too good to not come straight back in if he’s fit, surely? Especially with Atletico on the horizon. Although as he wasn’t on the bench for Liverpool maybe he isn’t going to be quite ready yet and may make an appearance from the bench.

CHO or James? I would expect James to get the nod again, we’ll need a bit more defensive solidity for this one and as Richarlison generally likes to start slightly left I would think Azpi and James will be asked to do a job on him.

Alonso or Chilwell? Tricky one again as I can see TT being tempted by Alonso’s height for this game, with DCL and Richarlison both good in the air, but Chilwell has proved he’s back on form in the last couple of games  and I just believe he is the better player.

CM pairing? Got a feeling it’s going to be Kante +1 for the remainder of the season and I think Kovacic may be the plus one in this game, I suspect TT will want his ability to beat the man from the centre of the pitch.

Front 3? I’d love to see Werner play as the CF again, but not sure he’ll get the space in behind like he did vs Liverpool so we may we’ll see Giroud come back in and Werner drop back alongside Mount.

So I’m expecting to see:

Mendy

Azpi Christensen Rudiger

James Kante Kovacic Chilwell

Mount Werner

Giroud

2 hours ago, Sciatika said:

I expect to see a few people telling us how hard this game will be but, if we win, informing us that the result tells us nothing because Everton were rubbish. Plus ça change.

That will depend on which Everton turns up. 

Blue Rod   
3 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

It’s a big game this, if we win then it really puts us in pole position for a top 4 space, which I genuinely didn’t think we’d achieve this season. The trouble is, we seem to have a habit of dropping points the match after a big win against a rival, so the inevitable ‘Chelsea nerves’ are kicking in for this one.

Interesting to see who TT picks for this one, I suspect he has quite a few decisions to make...

Silva back in for Christensen? Be a big call to drop Christensen, but Silva is too good to not come straight back in if he’s fit, surely? Especially with Atletico on the horizon. Although as he wasn’t on the bench for Liverpool maybe he isn’t going to be quite ready yet and may make an appearance from the bench.

CHO or James? I would expect James to get the nod again, we’ll need a bit more defensive solidity for this one and as Richarlison generally likes to start slightly left I would think Azpi and James will be asked to do a job on him.

Alonso or Chilwell? Tricky one again as I can see TT being tempted by Alonso’s height for this game, with DCL and Richarlison both good in the air, but Chilwell has proved he’s back on form in the last couple of games  and I just believe he is the better player.

CM pairing? Got a feeling it’s going to be Kante +1 for the remainder of the season and I think Kovacic may be the plus one in this game, I suspect TT will want his ability to beat the man from the centre of the pitch.

Front 3? I’d love to see Werner play as the CF again, but not sure he’ll get the space in behind like he did vs Liverpool so we may we’ll see Giroud come back in and Werner drop back alongside Mount.

So I’m expecting to see:

Mendy

Azpi Christensen Rudiger

James Kante Kovacic Chilwell

Mount Werner

Giroud

Very good points made. 

It would be a shame to drop Christensen just as he is starting to live up to his promise. I think we do now have a good set of defenders across the back. Rudiger leads the pack when it comes to full-contact, man to man, sticky defending. He comfortabky pocketed Mo Salah. I  put Azpi and young James in this pack. Silva leads the more tactical, space-orientated defending. Christensen is pretty good here as well. And then there is Zouma, a pretty solid all rounder.

The midfield remains a conservative part of our set-up, imo. It seems that TT is keen to keep it that way. A fit Kante is No1 in any of his combinations.

Upfront, I also agree; Werner's best position is centrally. His choice of final balls makes his good runs down the flanks a bit of a waste most of the time. His best chance of returning to form is as a CF.

I would like to see us inject more urgency into getting a goal. It sometimes seems like we are sleep-walking into a draw.