• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Leeds United 0 Chelsea 0

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

don't understand that comment at all.

We play Atleti 3 days after Leeds. There is no doubt that game will play a part in the selection process. 

I am sure when TT took the job his only remit was to get a top four place. 

Progressing in the CL is a bonus rather than a must win.

IMO being KO’d of the CL would be a blessing in disguise allowing TT to focus solely on the top four position.    

3 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

James, pulisic , ziyech all in front of Havertz for this game. 

This could be an interesting test for the defensive side of our game.  

Most likely I misunderstand you so I apologise in advance. Surely you don’t mean that James, Ziyech and Pulisic would be ahead of Havertz for the false 9? 

If you mean that they should play in the starting XI with either Werner or Giroud at CF I suppose that would hold some merit based on performances this season. But it’s not like Ziyech or Pulisic has produced much in the role behind the striker or that CHO has been pulling up trees in that position either (enabling James at RM). 

In short, I disagree with you. I think that Havertz showed real promise in that false 9 role and based on potential I don’t see anyone playing that role better than him. The real plus is that it lets Werner make those deep vertical runs behind the defense.

What I want to see is a trio of Mount, Havertz and Werner. On paper our most exciting front 3 imo supported by a midfield of Hudson-Odoi, Jorginho, Kovacic and Alonso. 

James, Kante, Chilwell and Giroud being the main rotation options. 

Defense my first choice would be Azpi-Silva-Rudiger but that is ridiculously harsh in Christensen who’s been excellent since Silva’s injury. Perhaps Silva can be an option for Azpi/Rudiger? I’d like to see him there against Leeds. 

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I wonder how much the Atletico game will impact selection.

Mount and Jorgi suspended, so they will surely play, and play 90

I would expect a lot. It would, on paper, be a good option to play Kante against Leeds.  But with Jorginho and Mount suspended Id be amazed if he risked N’Golo. 

I also think that he will play Silva here to see if he is fit enough for Atletico. 

I suppose Mendy, James, Azpi, Rudiger, Alonso, Kante, Kovacic and Werner are definite starters against Atletico. 

Mendy

Azpi - Christensen/Silva - Rudiger

James - Kante - Kovacic - Alonso

Pulisic/Ziyech - Werner

Giroud/Havertz

So a few decisions to make, Christensen vs Silva, Pulisic vs Ziyech and Giroud vs Havertz. 

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

I would expect a lot. It would, on paper, be a good option to play Kante against Leeds.  But with Jorginho and Mount suspended Id be amazed if he risked N’Golo. 

I also think that he will play Silva here to see if he is fit enough for Atletico. 

I suppose Mendy, James, Azpi, Rudiger, Alonso, Kante, Kovacic and Werner are definite starters against Atletico. 

Mendy

Azpi - Christensen/Silva - Rudiger

James - Kante - Kovacic - Alonso

Pulisic/Ziyech - Werner

Giroud/Havertz

So a few decisions to make, Christensen vs Silva, Pulisic vs Ziyech and Giroud vs Havertz. 

I don't think Silva plays both Leeds and AM within 3 days off the back of an injury. I expect Christensen to play Saturday then Thiago back for the champions league. Mount and Jorginho certain to play given their suspensions for mid-week.  

Edited by Willian Dollar Baby

Ham   
2 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

IMO being KO’d of the CL would be a blessing in disguise allowing TT to focus solely on the top four position.    

We used to laugh at arsenal for that approach. 

4 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

I am sure when TT took the job his only remit was to get a top four place. 

Progressing in the CL is a bonus rather than a must win.

I think we could win it. No way would it be any sort of blessing getting knocked out, possibly one of the weakest years the competition has ever seen.

Rob B   
22 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

I think we could win it. No way would it be any sort of blessing getting knocked out, possibly one of the weakest years the competition has ever seen.

Totally agree.  Based on current form, I’d fancy us against anyone with the exception of Bayern or Man City.  And even the latter would be bloody close. 

40 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

I've always seen a lot of comparisons between AVB and SFL.  Brought in for the same reasons with a mix of young new talent and some ageing warriors.  

6 hours ago, Ham said:

We used to laugh at arsenal for that approach. 

In the words of Prince, the Belle stars, harry styles : " Sign of the times"

4 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Unlike 2012, the winners of the CL cannot defend their title if they finish outside the qualifying group in there domestic league. So going all out to win something at the cost of a top 4 finish is quite bizarre logic.

8 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Most likely I misunderstand you so I apologise in advance. Surely you don’t mean that James, Ziyech and Pulisic would be ahead of Havertz for the false 9? 

If you mean that they should play in the starting XI with either Werner or Giroud at CF I suppose that would hold some merit based on performances this season. But it’s not like Ziyech or Pulisic has produced much in the role behind the striker or that CHO has been pulling up trees in that position either (enabling James at RM). 

The false 9 is not something to experiment with a team like Leeds and there gun ho pressing game. James, Ziyech, Pulisic would be better suited to the style of play required to beat the headless chickens of leeds.

8 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

What I want to see is a trio of Mount, Havertz and Werner. On paper our most exciting front 3 imo supported by a midfield of Hudson-Odoi, Jorginho, Kovacic and Alonso. 

That's is for whoever the coach will be in the summer and part of the tactics and formations for next season. The remainder of this season is damage limitation and top 4. I will take boring 1-0 wins all day if it ensures CL football next season "which means winning at least 7 of the remaining matches"

4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I've always seen a lot of comparisons between AVB and SFL.  Brought in for the same reasons with a mix of young new talent and some ageing warriors.  

and getting stabbed in the back by those aging aging warriors

"Julius Caesar - 15-Mar 44BC"