• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Leeds United 0 Chelsea 0

4 minutes ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

I don't think anyone's counting their chickens just yet. We should however be going full tilt to win. 

There's still a chance we lose to AM, there's a chance we draw Bayern into the next round and get schooled. There's also a chance of a quarter final against a team such as Porto. 

It's not rose tinted glasses to watch us beat AM, Liverpool and Spurs without conceding and come to the conclusion that we are playing very well. Playing in a way that should lend itself nicely to European football. We're looking great let's enjoy it until we start performing otherwise. 

Exactly.  Our game of outplaying the oppo by 0.5 to 1goal in 90 mins is perfect for 180 min CL games, which are about not getting it wrong.
It isn't as good for a 90m PL game where we can drop 2 points to a weaker team by failing to score or conceding to the odd corner.

1 hour ago, The_Ghost said:

Although I see your point there is certainly a financial incentive to do just that. But from a fan or trophy perspective there is no incentive to throw anything away. 

Suppose it depends how well we did next year 

Would it be more lucrative to get knocked out now, finish top 4 and then get knocked out of next years group stage or win it this year?

57 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Suppose it depends how well we did next year 

Would it be more lucrative to get knocked out now, finish top 4 and then get knocked out of next years group stage or win it this year?

I'm sure it would be more lucrative to win it and we would get automatic qualification for next year anyway. 

Besides the point, would anyone trade a CL run for top 4? 

CL qualification is very important for our long term capability to compete however I'd trade that in a heartbeat for another night like Munich. I miss the days when we were a regular in the latter stages, we have to take the opportunities when we can. It won't be often that many of the super clubs are crashing out and we are coming to the boil at the end of the season. First step of course is to finish the job against Atletico, totally appreciate we have a long way to go. 

Edited by Willian Dollar Baby

10 hours ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

I don't think anyone's counting their chickens just yet.

You could have fooled me with some of the recent posts

There's still a chance we lose to AM, 

Correct. It is a free pass for TT, because it is not a club priority for this season

It's not rose tinted glasses to watch us beat AM, Liverpool and Spurs without conceding and come to the conclusion that we are playing very well. 

All of those results were doable with the current squad, unfortunately it took until January for the squad to be coached correctly 

Playing in a way that should lend itself nicely to European football.

Are you referring to the entire CL campaign or just the AM match? 

Edited by RobertoftheGiz

8 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

You could have fooled me with some of the recent posts

I haven't seen anyone claiming we're going to win the Champions League. Being hopeful because we are playing well and quite a few of the giants are not performing, is certainly not getting carried away. 

Correct. It is a free pass for TT, because it is not a club priority for this season

When you sign up as Chelsea manager you sign up to compete with the best. I'm sure getting embarrassed by Bayern last year was the beginning of the end for Frank. A narrow defeat against a very good opponent where you perform well shows progress. 

All of those results were doable with the current squad, unfortunately it took until January for the squad to be coached correctly 

That's certainly true. 

Are you referring to the entire CL campaign or just the AM match? 

I'm referring to every game we've played since TT has been manager. Well drilled, extremely difficult to lay a glove on and the ability to control a game from start to finish against strong opposition. We have a nice blend of young hungry talent and experienced pros with a greater chance to go deep than we have in a very long time.  

We're 5th favourites according to the bookies. Above us is Liverpool, who we just beat. We've also outplayed the team top of La Liga. 

The depth of our squad, in a year when games have been stacked on top of each other, gives us a great chance in the CL and certainly the FA Cup. 

Tuchel on injuries: "Thiago had a little setback in training at the end of the session, the day before yesterday, he felt something around the same area he was injured. He will be out, the same for Tammy who still has the ankle pain." #CFC

With Christensen performing so well and potentially a new CB coming in, does Thiago get a new contract? 

He's been absolutely superb but difficult to rely on a 36 year old going forward. 

Jasonb   
19 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Exactly.  Our game of outplaying the oppo by 0.5 to 1goal in 90 mins is perfect for 180 min CL games, which are about not getting it wrong.
It isn't as good for a 90m PL game where we can drop 2 points to a weaker team by failing to score or conceding to the odd corner.

Yes that is a risk though to be fair to Tuchel he seems to not hesitate to make decent substitutions so far and make them quickly.

1 hour ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

Tuchel on injuries: "Thiago had a little setback in training at the end of the session, the day before yesterday, he felt something around the same area he was injured. He will be out, the same for Tammy who still has the ankle pain." #CFC

With Christensen performing so well and potentially a new CB coming in, does Thiago get a new contract? 

He's been absolutely superb but difficult to rely on a 36 year old going forward. 

It's an understandable question, but for me, it's a firm yes. If he'll sign it, then we keep him on for another year. Christensen's form has been fantastic recently, but we must not forget how much his form dropped off previously and for how long. Silva is still, even at his age, one of the best defenders out there and we'd be crazy not to have him around next season.

It may be that his game time decreases and he's only used in certain games at certain times, but he brings so much more than just what we see on the pitch for 90 mins, he is a natural leader and that is something this squad desperately needs, he also has as much experience as you could want any of your players to have.

Also, I expect us to go to a back 4 next season and I'm still not sure this Christensen we're seeing now will be the same Christensen we'll see when he's only got one other CB beside him.

2 hours ago, Willian Dollar Baby said:

Thiago - he needs to show he can play 40 starts a season next year.
He started the TT period with 3 starts in 8 days, came off after 36 mins at Spurs and we've only seen him on the bench once since then.
In 8 seasons at PSG he started 25 Ligue 1 games a season* (plus I guess all CL games and very few domestic cups).
He has never had anything like a full English season in his career.

*out of 38 normal, 20/27 in last seasons shortened year

Tammy still unavailable and he seems to have picked up a back dated injury that covers earlier absences.  I'm concerned something is up.  Perhaps between him and TT, or over his plans for next year, or perhaps something personal which could be anything.