• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 2 Atletico Madrid 0 (3 - 0 on aggregate)

Holymoly   
7 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

No too busy praising the team.  I can't find XG estimates for the CL - sorry to disappoint HM.

That's what happens when you watch the game instead of an Excel spreadsheet. ;-)

Holymoly   
51 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I think the ref made two really poor decisions

Although soft, I think we would have been howling blue bloody murder if we hadn't been given the penalty. Similarly, I think the sending off was pedantic in the extreme, it's not as if it was to the face and Rudiger's barge on Suarez was far more aggressive. That said in previous seasons those are exactly the sorts of decisions that would have been inflicted on us. We'd better make the most of it as I can't see UEFA letting us away with that sort of approach moving forward. The referee is probably receiving a severe dressing down by UEFA as we speak, explaining that is not how you treat English teams in general, and Chelsea FC in particular.

Holymoly   
28 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Honestly this anti Chelsea sentiment has been ingrained in the culture of this country since we formed.

Yeah, it's annoying, but to be honest who cares? I don't expect any supporter affiliated to another Premier League side to be cheering us on as I wouldn't even watch their games in Europe, let alone support them. The only reason I hope they win is so they have the same fixture congestion as us at the end of the season.

After seeing the line up I was slightly concerned. With Atletico needing to score I expected them to press high and seeing a team with no Jorginho, Christensen or Silva I was worried about our ability to pass out from the back. No need to worry that was bloody excellent. 

Kante and Rudiger absolutely collossus. Kante was everywhere, perfectly encapsulated by the last minute breakaway where he outpaced everyone on the pitch. Rudiger is really back to his snarling best. When he plays like this he gives us a real bite, it was great to see him getting under the skin of a team built for a battle. Kovacic and Zouma not far behind at all.

The one touch passing by everyone was superb. It's so great to watch every player know where their team mate is going to be without looking. It allows us to fizz the ball around with pace to get through the press. The attack will click at some stage, this year or next. 

Difficult to single anyone else out because they were all superb. This felt like a real classic victory. The first goal had shades of Drogba vs Barca 2012, the second Bridge vs Arsenal. Seeing the players in the stand celebrate was a small consolation for the empty stadium and felt like one of those moments we will remember.

Out of the remaining teams, I'd probably prefer to play them in this order:

Porto

Dortmund

Real Madrid 

Liverpool 

PSG

City 

Bayern

Whatever happens I don't think we need to fear anyone, certainly we are not a team that others will want to play. I have faith we will give any team a game. It's just nice to be back in the mix again. 

Edited by Willian Dollar Baby

paulw66   
1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Fair play to Simeone because personally I think the ref made two really poor decisions,

Thought the red card was fair enough

29 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Although soft, I think we would have been howling blue bloody murder if we hadn't been given the penalty. Similarly, I think the sending off was pedantic in the extreme, It's not as if it was to the face and Rudiger's barge on Suarez was far more aggressive. That said in previous seasons those are exactly the sorts of decisions that would have been inflicted on us. We'd better make the most of it as I can't see UEFA letting us away with that sort of approach moving forward. The referee is probably receiving a severe dressing down by UEFA as we speak, explaining that is not how you treat English teams in general, and Chelsea FC in particular.

You throw an elbow, you run the risk. Bit like JT's knee in the back of Sanchez. Wasn't going to injure him, but it gave the ref a chance to send him off. 

21 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Yeah, it's annoying, but to be honest who cares? I don't expect any supporter affiliated to another Premier League side to be cheering us on as I wouldn't even watch their games in Europe, let alone support them. The only reason I hope they win is so they have the same fixture congestion as us at the end of the season.

The hatred is returning to its fullest. Fantastic. Means they are afraid. 

38 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

That's what happens when you watch the game instead of an Excel spreadsheet. ;-)

I think most agree that Jorginho has been playing well recently, even those who aren't fans. He will prove invaluable in the next round too, helping us retain possession. I don't know why you are trying to pick a Jorginho argument in a game when he didn't even play. We have 3 fantastic CMs, plus Gilmour. We are very lucky.

• Like 1

Holymoly   

It occurs to me that it is possibly to the benefit of Werner, Havertz and Ziyech that there have been no fans in the stadium this season as they attempt to adapt and fit themselves into the club. We are an opinionated bunch of chaps when we are in the stands and no doubt we will have been laying into them remorselessly, quite possibly shattering their fragile confidence by now. Hopefully as the season begins to wind up we are beginning to see the qualities each can bring next season. It makes you wonder how things may have been different for deBruyne, Salah or Lukaku if they had arrived in these circumstances, and with this manager.

bert19   
31 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Although soft, I think we would have been howling blue bloody murder if we hadn't been given the penalty. Similarly, I think the sending off was pedantic in the extreme, it's not as if it was to the face and Rudiger's barge on Suarez was far more aggressive. That said in previous seasons those are exactly the sorts of decisions that would have been inflicted on us. We'd better make the most of it as I can't see UEFA letting us away with that sort of approach moving forward. The referee is probably receiving a severe dressing down by UEFA as we speak, explaining that is not how you treat English teams in general, and Chelsea FC in particular.

Agree on the two points I've highlighted in particular.  

It was a penalty and a red really - we got away with two there.  However, I can't really help thinking we'll have credit in the bank forever for stuff that happened to us under UEFA's watch between 2004 & 2012.

But it was pretty poor from a very experienced defender to catch himself out like that.  I suspect the forward throwing himself to the floor so dramatically was what swung the decision our way.  Apart from that though, Azpi and the defence in general were terrific.  Rather than just defending what was coming towards them and being reactive, there was an active process about stopping Atletico from doing anything - I thought it was great. 

And Rudiger out-sh*thousing them was pretty impressive (even if his rolling about was a bit much).  He clearly made a point of getting under Suarez's skin and I suspect Simeone recognised someone outdoing his players at their own game. 

34 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Thought the red card was fair enough

You throw an elbow, you run the risk. Bit like JT's knee in the back of Sanchez. Wasn't going to injure him, but it gave the ref a chance to send him off. 

I think this is fair. I just also think I'd fume if one of ours was sent off for that. Almost had the sense he was sent off because the ref was annoyed he'd not listened when being warned more than because it was legitimately violent or dangerous.

We were very easily the better team and the tie was effectively over by then, so don't think it mattered too much.

paulw66   
5 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I think this is fair. I just also think I'd fume if one of ours was sent off for that. Almost had the sense he was sent off because the ref was annoyed he'd not listened when being warned more than because it was legitimately violent or dangerous.

We were very easily the better team and the tie was effectively over by then, so don't think it mattered too much.

Yes, 100% all round, 

Sciatika   

It seemed very unfair to allow us to play all three of the Kante triplets.

• Haha 1