• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 2 West Bromwich Albion 5

Azpi and James had a row at halftime as well

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chelsea-west-brom-thomas-tuchel-20321910

TT has the cheek to say we are now in danger of being caught for 4th, maybe he should have thought of that before taking WBA lightly

no need to have let silva walk back into the team, and should have played mount and Giroud

24 minutes ago, Worsebytheday said:

I'd be worried if there weren't a few rows on and off the pitch.  Likewise the reported spat between Rudiger and Kepa in training yesterday strikes me as 100% normal after a bad defeat, evnn if neither got off the bench on Saturday.
Positive signs IMO.

1 hour ago, Rob B said:

Jorginho was a shambles on Saturday, but he has been very, very good under Tuchel.  Wins against Everton, Liverpool, Spurs and Athletico, with some important goals scored in there, and a stretch of games where we’ve conceded 2 goals in over a dozen played, makes it a bit unfair to call him a fraud IMO.

He does have his limitations however and West Brom exploited them perfectly.  For me, Jorginho certainly has a place in our squad, but so should somebody like Declan Rice and you pick whoever is most suited to the opponent. 

Gilmour, Jorginho and Kovacic as 3 of your 4 midfield options is horribly unbalanced.  That’s the real problem. 

While he has not been shambolic, I don't think he has been good/great since tuchel took over. 

For me, this is exactly like when we bought him under sarri. The system was different and teams took a little time to adjust to it and understand it. But when they did figure it out, we were sitting ducks. I hope I am wrong, but I can sure as hell, see that pattern following again, where teams target jorginho and our back 3 is exposed and left helpless. 

If we get rice, and keep kova and kante, jorginho will be as redundant as they come. Gilmour/Gallagher can easily fulfil the role of the 4th choice CM with ease imo. 

On 03/04/2021 at 10:34 PM, Droy was my hero said:

Well with no Grealish (Barnes or Maddison), it was clear he was going to play the whole game - in fact Southgate was so sure of his Poland squad he didn't bring on a sub till the 86ths min.
So the real question then is why he chose to play both Mount and Foden for 135 mins against the minnows.

Not replacing Lampard in August or November or December with a competent replacement was the screw-up.  Waiting till mid January for an excellent replacement was too long - at least too long to give us a good chance of a CL place.
I see our odds of a top 4 place are widening, and Liverpool are now 4th favourite with us 5th.  Sounds right to me.

I think the reason Frank's mates were keen to suggest he didn't get the players he needed was because he kept destroying the confidence of the ones he got.
It was all becoming a bit Conte deja vu.

You are such a dullard. Your crusade against Lampard is an embarrassment to you. 

• Thanks 3

On 03/04/2021 at 11:17 PM, Chrisb said:

Don’t remember a Lampard team letting 5 in at home to a team in the bottom 3.

You’ll be telling us all that Jorginho had a decent game next.

He has an emotional obsession with Lampard which is extremely unhealthy. 

1 hour ago, didierforever said:

If we get rice

That boat sailed when he was released from the academy

GURJ SS   
On 04/04/2021 at 1:01 PM, Super Kenny Monkou said:

The biggest worry is who is going to give us anything near our money back on the players we have given footballs finances.

Napoli offered us a case of Moretti for Bakayoko and thought they were being generous.

We need top 4 otherwise we have problems.

I liken us to Utd a few years back when they spent a fortune and hardly moved forward if not regressed.

I think everyone underestimates what it takes to rebuild a squad, over the years we had the luxury of having a set spine so when it came to rebuilding it was made easier. Man Utd had rebuilding issues because the spine needed replacing, we currently don't have one, and even teams like Barca are struggling in their rebuild because their spine has aged.

Mendy isn't really a keeper you base your spine of a team on. Silva is but seems more a stop gap, Christensen has been great but he hasn't got enough leadership and communication skills. In midfield Mount is getting better with it, and none of our strikers can do it; even Giroud isn't the type of player at his age you'd base a team around.

We will definitely take a hit in the transfer market without a doubt, but the alternative is to use them, and float anywhere between 3rd and 6th with no real purpose.

2 hours ago, Worsebytheday said:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/chelsea-west-brom-thomas-tuchel-20321910

TT has the cheek to say we are now in danger of being caught for 4th, maybe he should have thought of that before taking WBA lightly

no need to have let silva walk back into the team, and should have played mount and Giroud

The report says it was after the game. Not at half time. 

Not really surprising that feelings were running high after such a defeat, but (assuming there's a glimmer of truth to the reports) it pisses me off that someone in our squad thinks it's ok to share such info with a member of the press. 

I suppose it's pretty common practice in the game, but you wonder at the players' motives when they do this.

GURJ SS   
23 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

I don’t think either of those player are the problem. If you want to pick on the defence the weaker link are the CB’s. None of the are outstanding or a leader. They have looked better under TT because of a back 3 which in my opinion was a TT plaster, because they are all pony when playing in a back 4, which is favoured by most coaches.

Should TT be the coach next season, so you believe he will start would start the season with a back 5?

A dominant CB is probably one of the areas the board will target this summer regardless of the coach.

I agree with the lack of leadership at CB, I do however feel there's a negative sort of stigma around playing 3 at the back, the key is that the wing backs must be able to play like wide midfielders. Take Moses for example in that he provided adequate cover in defence but in attack it was like having another attacking player on the pitch, someone like Valencia was basically a wingback with a centre mid covering him when he went forward. When a team has the right wingbacks, they can overwhelm the opposition.

With the likes of Tomori and Sarr on loan and looking to play a part in the future, I think it's cheaper to go out there and buy better wingbacks. The likes of Chilwell and James can be backups to the likes of players in the Reguilon and Cancelo bracket. Players who can provide defensive cover but are always looking to attack and can go 1v1.

The issue is we'll need 2 CBs if we go to a back 4. Otherwise we'll have a season of rotating 1 CB looking for the right partner, which I don't think we have.

GURJ SS   
18 hours ago, Rob B said:

I think there’s something in this, IF Tuchel plans to stick with the current formation (assuming he is our manager next season of course) 

Chilwell and James are brilliant full backs, but as you quite rightly say, neither offer enough as wing backs because they don’t commit defenders 1v1 or break the defensive line.  Alonso is also unable to do this, albeit he has different strengths, mainly in the box.  I thought TT was nurturing CHO for this role but he seems to have gradually lost his place for most games to James.  

That Rafinha from Leeds is ideal for our formation, and a Robertson or a Tierney on the left.  In the absence of fantasy football wishlists however,  longer-term,  I think that Reece should be earmarked for RCB with CHO at RWB.  Those two seem to have a good connection and Reece would be very effective breaking forward into space like Azpi does. 

One way or another, we simply have to have 1, if not 2 more offensive players into the starting 11. 

I think when a team starts with 3 at the back with wingbacks who can take players on, it gives us more flexibility, this was seen when CHO was at RWB. When the opposition was pegged back Dave would become a RB and hold a higher position, this gave CHO licence to roam more. I think at the moment we just haven't got the right quality and balance in picking 2 fullbacks in wingback roles.

I agree, and we looked a totally different team back then to now, and like you I thought CHO was doing brilliantly in adapting to the new role. Maybe the player has expressed something, but we've just not looked the same and slowly the team has looked more and more disjointed.

Rafinha certainly looks great, and coming from Leeds he'll find our speed of play a walk in the park. I think you picking Tierney and Robertson further highlights our issues at wingback, when either of those pick the ball up your eyes tend to go towards the box and around them to see what their options are; when our wingbacks pick the ball I tend to look around to see who can take the ball off them, because they just don't carry the same threat. Certainly James and CHO would be a partnership of speed and power, and I think going forwards Tomori could also do the RCB role as he's very good on the ball.

I agree, at the moment our true offensive player is the striker, because even our attacking mids are definitely more number 10s than supporting strikers. They are more Oscar type of players than Zola or Guddy type players, which is why even an off form Havertz provides us with more attack because he's more the type of a Guddy and tends to get further forward. But what this does is leave the likes of Alonso/Chilwell and James to provide the attacking threat on the wings and they just can't do it. I'm surprised we haven't seen Emerson on the LWB role more as he seems the most able from our fullbacks to go 1v1.