• Current Donation Goals

A bit of a jole the game will be played in Spain so close to Porto. They already play in a soft league, now they hardly have to break a sweat getting to the game while we will add more travelling hours to an already hectic schedule. 

Anything other than this eleven will be a huge surprise. It's simoly impossible to start Alonso and Zouma after the latest debacle. Such performances simply has to come with concequences. The same should be true for Jorginho but since Kanté is injured we have no other option.

Mendy

Azpi Christensen Rüdiger

James Jorginho Jovacic Chilwell

Mount Werner 

Havertz

Jasonb   

I don't get the dislike for Alonso.

He is limited running back yet defensively is decent.

The game plan must be for him to have cover otherwise he would not be risked.

TT got caught out by the red card as normally he makes good subs yet not against WBA.

The problem we had a couple of seasons ago in a three with Luiz, Rudiger and Chistensen was when the opposition played two large and mobile attackers. It seemed like that against WBA we really needed an outlet up top with a long ball but that would have been a tactical change. 

12 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

A bit of a jole the game will be played in Spain so close to Porto. They already play in a soft league, now they hardly have to break a sweat getting to the game while we will add more travelling hours to an already hectic schedule. 

Have you looked on the map?  They will fly in by private jet the same as us the night before.  It will cost us an extra 20 mins in the air each way.

5 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I don't get the dislike for Alonso.

He is limited running back yet defensively is decent.

The game plan must be for him to have cover otherwise he would not be risked.

I'm sure you are right.  And it is exactly the same when Azpi plays LB or RB, when he goes forward he sometimes gets in the box and no one has any expectation that he will quantum leap back into defence.
The fair criticism of Alonso is that when he is in a defensive position, he is not very good at one on one defending against a speedy or tricky winger.  On the other side he adds height and does jump his height.

5 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

The problem we had a couple of seasons ago in a three with Luiz, Rudiger and Chistensen was when the opposition played two large and mobile attackers.

Well of course, not many teams have one large and mobile attacker, teams with two will always be tricky to defend against.

asvaberg   

Anyone knows more about this (from BBC):

To make their preparation even worse, media reports claim Tuchel sent defender Antonio Rudiger home from training the following day after a clash with keeper Kepa Arrizabalaga.

JaneB   
9 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

To make their preparation even worse, media reports claim Tuchel sent defender Antonio Rudiger home from training the following day after a clash with keeper Kepa Arrizabalaga.

Been touched on on the last page of the West Brom thread.  Who knows what really went on?

1 hour ago, JaneB said:

Been touched on on the last page of the West Brom thread.  Who knows what really went on?

Apparently the Athletic have written up the full story!!

1 hour ago, asvaberg said:

media reports claim Tuchel sent defender Antonio Rudiger home from training

Not what I read - just told him to finish training early.  Not sent home.

• Like 1

Ham   
4 hours ago, asvaberg said:

Apparently there was an exchange of words between them on the bench during the WBA game which then carried over into training when Rudi went in on him. 

I wondered whether Kepa had made a comment about/made fun of Mendy during the game which Rudi disagreed with.  Just a theory..... 

Chrisb   
23 minutes ago, Ham said:

Apparently there was an exchange of words between them on the bench during the WBA game which then carried over into training when Rudi went in on him. 

I wondered whether Kepa had made a comment about/made fun of Mendy during the game which Rudi disagreed with.  Just a theory..... 

Maybe he said “I could’ve saved that!”  😂

• Haha 1

Holymoly   
On 01/04/2021 at 2:52 PM, Mark Kelly said:

Two away legs.

Sounds legit.

More corruption .

Well not really. There are travelling restrictions between UK and Portugal. Personally I'd be reluctant for our guys to travel anywhere in the EU what with the utter balls up they have made of their vaccination program. Still...