• Current Donation Goals

3 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Lol k. So much for Zola, Fabregas, Mata, Ballack, Lampard, Gullit, Deco to name a few off the top of my head then. 

no - many of these had other skills.  Fabregas and Lampard were close in thinking ahead and their execution was probably better than either Wilkins or Jorginho.
But in terms of being given a suicide pass and playing it first touch to a free colleague without any apparent thought, Wilkins and Jorginho stand out.

1 minute ago, thevelourfog said:

Yes, but even then our goals came from mistakes that, had we made, would have this thread already on a dozen more pages of replies than it is. Because mistakes happen, and they happen even with good players playing otherwise well. It doesn't make for great viewing, but it is why being patient and solid most often pays off and is generally a good idea. Last night was the right way to set up for the result. 

Absolutely in a 180 min knockout game.  But not necessarily in a 90 min, 3 points for a win league game against a relegation candidate.
TT has us playing perfectly for the CL right now.  

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Absolutely in a 180 min knockout game.  But not necessarily in a 90 min, 3 points for a win league game against a relegation candidate.
TT has us playing perfectly for the CL right now.  

Fair point; I do want us, for want of a better way of putting it, forcing the issue a bit more with lesser league opponents who might be happy to wait out patient and solid. But even then it's a strategy I think I'd better than many others. 

paulw66   
19 hours ago, bert19 said:

Whilst I largely agree with what @Willian Dollar Baby wrote above, I'm so glad that we were brave in that last ten minutes, went for & got that second goal.  Made such a difference and showed a bit of a proactive approach and a bit of self-belief that I feel like we haven't seen for a while.  Thinking we could win by more, but doing so in a measured way and executing it.  Really good to see.  

Enjoyed Chilwell and Rudiger's performances throughout the 90 and thought Reece did a good job shutting down that right side.  

Very positive in the end. The next goal being a Chelsea one should do the job. 

the second goal was massive.

1-0 with the second leg at "home" would have been very thin as no actual home advantage, but with their goals in the second leg worth more in the event of a draw. Imagine winning 1-0 then in the second leg they take the lead; you are then on a knife edge, as if they get a 2nd, we would then need 2 to survive

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

the second goal was massive.

The second goal tends to happen when you are overall better than the opponent and they feel the need to push.  Chilwell's run forward wasn't great - he wasn't an easy target, and it was a poor ball to him anyway,  easy to cut out.  It was Porto exhaustion that scored for us (plus a very cute pen-ultimate touch by Chilwell).

But I reckon with or without the goal, the whole 2nd leg will be much of the same.  The good news is that if it does go to extra time, or even if there is still a close game H2, Porto will be shattered and our 5 subs will be a lot lot stronger than their 2 or 3 usable subs.