• Current Donation Goals

King Kante

Premier League Run In - 2020/21

59 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

On a side note, I remember talking to my boys who are 11 and 12 over the last 3 or 4 seasons, telling them that we were miles away from competing with the best in England and in Europe, that they may not experience the great European nights that we have all been so lucky to be a part of any time soon, if at all. From Athletico all the way to the two games against Madrid it has been phenomenal and the best part of it, for me, was being able to experience it with them, albeit in strange circumstances.

I think we agree on just how poor the squad got back in 17/18 and how amazing it improved to by summer 2020.  It has been quite a turnaround.

It has been helped enormously by holding back the kids until they were ready (imagine Mount and James made their debuts last season).
And probably more so by hiding all the bad buys away from Cobham to give the scouts space to buy good new players, and to give the coach a much easier man-management task.
That has been expensive, even though I can't really see how the players off on loan could have been cut more cheaply.

Just now, paulw66 said:

Annoying to have an injury in the one area of the pitch we are not well stocked. 

We tend not to find out about injuries where we are well stocked. And the players aren't given the opportunity to overplay.

Just now, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Kante is fit, presumably he missed the Arsenal game to have Eid off in preparation for the Cup Final. Especially considering he has been playing while fasting for the weeks prior. 

Lets hope he doesn't come back fat like a post Christmas English player!

2 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

If that happens it would be so typical of this squad of players and would really taint the start Tuchel has had here. 

He'd be going from a master manager to under immense pressure within the space of 17 days. Chelsea heaven, Chelsea hell. We never change do we? 

Still trying to blame the players for the first half of the season?

Had we lost to City, and beaten Arsenal the fans would all be quite happy.  But we would be in exactly the same pressure position as now.
And guess what xg says what we deserved.

image.png.af17a6a3098b32c6ede5d62947f1322a.png

It has been randomness this week that has turned it back to front, not the standard of our play, or "manager betrayal" by suspect players.

Just now, Droy was my hero said:

Had we lost to City, and beaten Arsenal the fans would all be quite happy.  But we would be in exactly the same pressure position as now.

A very good point , however , when beating City it does kind of raise expectations that you should be able to beat the worst Arsenal side in twenty years , that's what generates the pain .

That and it being almost entirely self inflicted , non given penalties aside . 

paulw66   
4 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes, this occurred to me. 

Aguero's penalty goes in, we lose comfortably but nobody that shocked. 

Beat Arsenal by the same margin (for argument's sake) and we're in the same position. 

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

That and it being almost entirely self inflicted , non given penalties aside . 

No I don't think so.  It is just random.  We have passed around at the back all season.  That BT analysis reckons we have given 8 goals away though errors, which I think is 2nd highest.  But only 2 have been in the 2nd half of the season.  
We have missed a lot of goals in the second half, under TT we have scored 22 when out XG has been 30.
Yet we put 2 in against City with an XG of 0.62.

That isn't deliberate or under our control.  That is just the randomness of football.
It would be a dull game if the best side always won. 

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

Personally I am still very positive, not one of us would have dreamt of being in this position when Tuchel took over and we have shown time and again under him when it really matters we are a different animal.

Yes we should have beaten Arsenal but that will not be the reason we miss out on the top 4, if that ends up being the case. I know some would rather we had gone all out to qualify for next years competition but after beating Athletico and the draw we got that became the absolute priority and if we fall short so be it, it's been an amazing second half of the season and we go again next year with a squad that will have gained so much from this years experience, good and bad.

Personally, and it may just be me I have enjoyed us under Tuchel more than any other time for a very long time, the ups have been right up there, the lows now too bad but potentially as low as Moscow, it's what I live for as a football fan and whatever happens it's been brilliant and  I am thoroughly looking forward to seeing where we go in the next few seasons.

On a side note, I remember talking to my boys who are 11 and 12 over the last 3 or 4 seasons, telling them that we were miles away from competing with the best in England and in Europe, that they may not experience the great European nights that we have all been so lucky to be a part of any time soon, if at all. From Athletico all the way to the two games against Madrid it has been phenomenal and the best part of it, for me, was being able to experience it with them, albeit in strange circumstances.

Great post mate and spot on.

Holymoly   
31 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Kovacic training today apparently. Expect he may feature on Tuesday 

Annoying to have an injury in the one area of the pitch we are not well stocked. 

Unfortunately Jorginho when playing with Gilmour is an accident waiting to happen. Hopefully the latter will stick around next season notwithstanding Jorginho has extended his contract. What everyone sees in him is beyond me. When we have a bad result he usually plays a large part in our lack of performance.

6 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

No I don't think so.  It is just random.  We have passed around at the back all season.  That BT analysis reckons we have given 8 goals away though errors, which I think is 2nd highest.  But only 2 have been in the 2nd half of the season.  
We have missed a lot of goals in the second half, under TT we have scored 22 when out XG has been 30.
Yet we put 2 in against City with an XG of 0.62.

That isn't deliberate or under our control.  That is just the randomness of football.
It would be a dull game if the best side always won. 

Well , one has to factor in Zouma's lumbering around cluelessly , Jorginho's back pass , the fact Arsenal were more alive to the error than our dreadfully dozy defence and the sad fact that we are pathetic at scoring goals. 

It all looks self inflicted to me !

Holymoly   
28 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Still trying to blame the players for the first half of the season?

image.png.af17a6a3098b32c6ede5d62947f1322a.png

It has been randomness this week that has turned it back to front, not the standard of our play, or "manager betrayal" by suspect players.

Jesus. Surely you've given up with Football Manager stats Droy? Your post just goes to prove it means nothing. And as far as blaming the players for the first half of the season? Damn right. The second half just goes to show they had it in them all the time. This isn't Subbuteo with Tuchel flicking them into all the right positions on the field. Follow your premise and we should be blaming Tuchel for Jorginho almost passing the ball blind back into an open net.

Sometimes I think you say things just to get into an argument.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Jorginho has extended his contract.

Sarri is unemployed  and is the only taker out there. The club is cute in extending his contract and stabilizing his value, in the hope Sarri finds the a job in the summer and comes knocking