• Current Donation Goals

CarefreeMuratcan

European Super League

6 hours ago, Ham said:

Perez is on one tonight

This snake needs to be hounded out of football. "This would have got many teams out of a hole", how about those teams live within their means? "This would have made the CL more interesting" how about a fairer and even wealth distribution that is weighted towards the "smaller" European leagues so teams from Greece, Turkey, Russia, Ukraine, Belgium, Holland, Scotland, Romania, the Balkans etc. can afford to compete. These are all countries where football is just as huge as in the big five leagues, some of them with massive populations, massive "markets" to speak his horrid serpentine tongue. 

Stim   
6 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

If Uefa do come up with something, it won't be this classless and soulless money grab we just witnessed.

Errr? The same org that made us play a Europa league final in Baku, A country where one of the teams players couldn't play as it would be unsafe to enter?

10 minutes ago, Stim said:

Errr? The same org that made us play a Europa league final in Baku, A country where one of the teams players couldn't play as it would be unsafe to enter?

And? Read what I said, and stick to that. If you don't agree, then that's fine.

12 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

It'll be back in a year or two.  Probably proposed by UEFA and most people will welcome it.

Spot On - UEFA are on the back foot regardless of the media hype and will buckle to the demands of the bigger clubs getting a bigger piece of the pie and TV rights.

Like it or loath it, the big clubs generate the worldwide interest in football, it would be interesting to see how many people would watch a CL club brugge vs sparta prague

The of the sky media campaign against ESL, in my opinion it was one of the most bias piece of reporting seen on TV for a long time. Carragher and Neville should be removed from the screens. Had uncle ken been at the club, I am sure Mr Neville would have been served a writ by now.

Also the 14 PL club which decided to have a behind close doors meeting, should take a step back and look who over the years had furnished those club with big transfer money for very average players.

Supporter I do have sympathy for however reality is teams like Manure, Chitty, Dippers, the Arse, Toon Toon, Chelsea can sell there seat twice over week in week out so those suggesting fans should boycott games is a non starter

Ham   
1 hour ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

This snake needs to be hounded out of football. "This would have got many teams out of a hole", how about those teams live within their means? "This would have made the CL more interesting" how about a fairer and even wealth distribution that is weighted towards the "smaller" European leagues so teams from Greece, Turkey, Russia, Ukraine, Belgium, Holland, Scotland, Romania, the Balkans etc. can afford to compete. These are all countries where football is just as huge as in the big five leagues, some of them with massive populations, massive "markets" to speak his horrid serpentine tongue. 

All very good points.  A well funded Galatasaray for example would be a scary proposition for the "big 12". 

1 hour ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Are these generally countries where we could reasonably claim the teams live within their means? I can't claim to follow any of those leagues very well, but what I do know doesn't suggest much fiscal solvency or sustainability (Anzhi having to transfer-list their whole squad, Rangers being demoted to the bottom of their pyramid, a dubious politician's covert ownership of Steau Bucharest, Dinamo Zagreb's owner being sent to prison!).

Perez is ... Not someone I have much time or admiration for, but I think it is strange to believe that the small leagues are in some way more homely or virtuous, and somehow a "deserving poor" of European football.

6 hours ago, East Lower said:

However this is a victory for the self-interested, greedy and protective over the very greedy, extremely self-interested and  megalomaniacs. 

Fan power - It’s a misnomer, we were simply an additional weapon for the corporations who would have been negatively effected. 

I wonder if UEFA listened to fans about VAR, FIFA about the Qatar World Cup or SKY about fan unfriendly fixture times. If they ever do then I’ll start to believe the “it’s for the fans” type mantras. 

Yes.  There was a very good piece in the times yesterday by Matthew Syed on similar themes.

4 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

The of the sky media campaign against ESL, in my opinion it was one of the most bias piece of reporting seen on TV for a long time. Carragher and Neville should be removed from the screens. Had uncle ken been at the club, I am sure Mr Neville would have been served a writ by now.

???  Daily occurrence on one topic or another.

Uncle Ken meanwhile is I gather claiming to have defeated another attempt at a ESL back in the 90s.

paulw66   
10 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Interesting - credible at least.  (looked more like a hundred from what I saw, but a lot were passers by taking photos.

Secretly I think everyone wants it.  If anyone on this site doesn't it would be me, I hardly watch anything but my club.  But clearly a lot of people want to spend 7 nights a week, at home or in the pub, watching high quality football.

You are funny. I know people who went to the protest. There were hundreds, not a hundred.

Who are these people that secretly want it? The fans absolutely do not. That is clear, if nothing else is. 

10 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Interesting - credible at least.  (looked more like a hundred from what I saw, but a lot were passers by taking photos.

Secretly I think everyone wants it.  If anyone on this site doesn't it would be me, I hardly watch anything but my club.  But clearly a lot of people want to spend 7 nights a week, at home or in the pub, watching high quality football.

This is an odd statement. Definitely more than 100 involved in the protest... it was enough to prevent the team coaches from getting into the ground, so it was a pretty significant number.

Did you see the uproar from pretty much every angle of the footballing world that said they were against it? Fans, governing bodies, players, coaches, former players, pundits and everyone else in between. Regardless of the reasons for not wanting it (against the idea of it or for financial reasons), I would comfortably say the vast majority ARE against it and don't secretly want it, not in this form anyway.

23 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

This is an odd statement. Definitely more than 100 involved in the protest... it was enough to prevent the team coaches from getting into the ground, so it was a pretty significant number.

Did you see the uproar from pretty much every angle of the footballing world that said they were against it? Fans, governing bodies, players, coaches, former players, pundits and everyone else in between. Regardless of the reasons for not wanting it (against the idea of it or for financial reasons), I would comfortably say the vast majority ARE against it and don't secretly want it, not in this form anyway.

I also saw a great number of people (BoJo, Starmer, all the press) jumping aboard a protest bandwagon because they didn't want to be caught the wrong side.  I really doubt Bojo is against the idea of an ESL as a money maker.
And as several have pointed out I saw a massive amount of hypocrisy out there.
I don't know how many have really thought it through.  They seem to do it remarkably quickly.  But I'm pretty sure there are millions who are angry right now (includes me) and looking for targets to attack.
ESL was just the first idea to put its head up above the parapet.

46 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You are funny. I know people who went to the protest. There were hundreds, not a hundred.

Who are these people that secretly want it? The fans absolutely do not. That is clear, if nothing else is. 

OK - so I quoted Balague who said 40, I said a hundred from what I saw (in news stories) and you say hundreds.  I'm not sure we are disagreeing with each other (just with Balague).

league cup semi,  Brighton, West Ham, Real Madrid.   Yes it is true that if you look in the pre-match threads fans appear to be more keen on the first 3 games than the 4th.

Is that long term genuine, or just a passing fad.  You tell me.