• Current Donation Goals

CarefreeMuratcan

European Super League

12 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Maybe will depend on what we actually signed up for. I am sure there is more to rule L9 than just that but it could be argued that by agreeing to enter the super league we have broken this rule.

You still have the issue of only being able to use rules that are actually lawful, or where the "punished" is willing to accept having his wrist slapped to avoid embarrassing the FA.  

1 minute ago, Droy was my hero said:

You still have the issue of only being able to use rules that are actually lawful, or where the "punished" is willing to accept having his wrist slapped to avoid embarrassing the FA.  

No idea what is lawful or not.

Teams have had points deducted before, from various leagues, for breaking rules so I do not think it is out of the question.

I would be very surprised if there is not something legally binding to stop clubs just walking off and starting their own thing.

chara   

More thoughts on the "cash" in the game.

Most EPL clubs as far as I can see go back to grass root founding stories of one sort or another...fabled myths though some may be the game started as an International entity from basically humble roots. The same I think abroad.

I must emphasis that I played at a modest level but above park level and at a somewhat higher but still modest level abroad.

At every level above the "pay to play" club subscription or similar situation EVERY club where the players did not contribute or were "recompensed" for playing there was a level of self interest and financial "constructive accounting" as it were...some more benign than others but still a long way from the "plucky" non/lower league minnows fighting the Big Boys.

I allow myself to drift into the "Roy of the Rover" territory and still try to recapture the innocent view of the game and players that I first stood at SB with so many years ago.

Alas the events of this week are just more proof and the latest in a long line of events showing what a crock of s*** our self allowed dreams are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

I've seen this. As @paulw66 alludes to, I wondered myself of what we did does violate that rule, and if the Premier League would be able to elaborate on what it defines as "entering" another competition without approval. I've also not seen (I have looked, promise!) anything that lays out clearly what the punishments should be if we have indeed violated L9. I imagine all 6 clubs were clear on L9 and had very expensive legal advice on it, so can't buy its the gotcha some tabloids have framed it as.

We've definitely broken the rules in spirit, not really meaning to defend us as such. My best guess is that what will be scrutinised is rule L9 itself rather than the clubs. I'd want it much tighter and clearer if I was chairman of the other 14 clubs.

Not really at odds with the points that you and Paul make it is a grey area. My main point was if any punishment was passed on  and the relevant clubs disagreed in which court would the appeal take place ?

To some degree there has already been retribution. The clubs involved are a busted flush, Literally in most cases as the Debt problem this adventure was designed cure has vanished , still leaving the debts The Clubs involved  have resigned or are being removed from all committees, on the PL and UEFA  (FA very quiet ) They have no credibility with other clubs they will have to work with if not outright hostility, Some The "Legacy fans" will never be convinced by the current ownerships, Same with some of  the Players, Squad harmony can be a  fragile thing and player not involved in discussions  in the new venture that stars the errrr Players may have lasting concequences for some.

Something will need to be seen to done by officialdome but I do think most of the damage has already taken place

26 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

No idea what is lawful or not.

Teams have had points deducted before, from various leagues, for breaking rules so I do not think it is out of the question.

I would be very surprised if there is not something legally binding to stop clubs just walking off and starting their own thing.

Nothing is legally binding until it has been tested in courts of law.  
Even an Uber driver's contract, willingly signed by both sides can be overruled (if the driver can afford a top lawyer or find a union touting for a new market).

19 minutes ago, chara said:

Most EPL clubs as far as I can see go back to grass root founding stories of one sort or another...fabled myths though some may be the game started as an International entity from basically humble roots. The same I think abroad.

Do they?  Not Chelsea 1905 anyway.  As I recall business men built a stadium and then cobbled together a team of established pros to play.  There were 2 League divisions then, and we applied for Div 2, got turned down but then applied for Div 1 and got in.
That is how I recall it from reading the Official Biography.  I'd be surprised if many clubs were different.

The history of Professional football comes from Northern and Midland cities where a few businessmen were very influential around the peak of the industrial revolution.  

I suspect you'll find the original business model was very similar.  A new media (then stadiums, now 80" TVs and Netflix), a new market demand (travelling a few miles to a game, now watching games 1000 miles away from living room).

Well this would be interesting...

Simon Phillips @siphillipssport
UEFA is working 'tirelessly' with it’s lawyers to REMOVE Real Madrid from this season's Champions League well as BANNING them from the UCL for the next season.

- @DeportesCuatro via @MadridXtra

Edited by Original 21

5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Nothing is legally binding until it has been tested in courts of law.  
Even an Uber driver's contract, willingly signed by both sides can be overruled (if the driver can afford a top lawyer or find a union touting for a new market).

Which I'm sure would take a little bit of time and be an absolutle nightmare if they deducted points now or kicked us out of this years Champions league.

At the Arsenal fan forum taking place Josh Kroenke confirmed that there is a £8millon fee for leaving, That was money well spent, Nevermind Tammy and Tomoris sale can cover it. . .

8 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Which I'm sure would take a little bit of time and be an absolutle nightmare if they deducted points now or kicked us out of this years Champions league.

And would involve one massive damages claim if they tried it and lost.  It would be a massively brave move, would probably destroy the UEFA finances and force the board to resign (and get bailed out by... I wonder).  Chelsea would survive.

I don't think UEFA dare do anything which cannot be walked back.
They might try to fine us - perhaps the equivalent of our 2021 CL TV earnings.  That would make an impression, but when the courts overruled the decision they could just pass on the money.  It would sound "big" while not actually meaning a lot to us at all.  (RM might struggle on cash flow, but I dare say Madrid city will bail them out).

4 minutes ago, southcoastal said:

At the Arsenal fan forum taking place Josh Kroenke confirmed that there is a £8millon fee for leaving, That was money well spent, Nevermind Tammy and Tomoris sale can cover it. . .

probably, but I guess if everyone leaves they just wind up the whip and everyone gets about £7m back.  Pissup ended early.
And at a minimum I would expect some TV money re-distribution to the big guys will pay back more.