• Current Donation Goals

CarefreeMuratcan

Stamford Bridge Upgrades

Recommended Posts

Flinkers   
3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Interesting.  I'm not bothered about LBHF planning permission - they wouldn't be installed without that.  It is the Sports Ground Safety Authority (SGSA) and its Safety Advisory Group (SAG) that was mentioned in the original press release that I'm looking for.
 

I‘m not completely up to date with planning law in the UK, but I would think that would be a supporting document or report for the application. It would be here.

Edited by Flinkers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

And what is the point - unless someone allows fans to stand?  Unless this is actually a method to use the ground for other events such as a rock concert where convenient standing room / dancing room is a much bigger advantage.
 

Even without standing being official, it will theoretically dissuade non-singers from buying tickets in those sections, assuming a perception of them being "standing areas" spreads across the fanbase and it will make what are de facto standing areas anyway more comfortable to stand in. Leading to a better atmosphere is the hope. Not sure if that's the Club's motivation, if it's something they are doing after consulting with fan groups. Considering the news stories of other Clubs installing rail seating in anticipation of a potential law change, it's probably just us following the trend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

And what is the point - unless someone allows fans to stand? 

They can not stop us standing so maybe this is their way of making it safer without officially allowing safe standing.

I just hope, with the whole of the lower shed end being done and I have been told the upper shed will follow, that we move the away fans out. They should never have been there in the first place 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Martin1905 said:

They can not stop us standing so maybe this is their way of making it safer without officially allowing safe standing.

I think deliberately snubbing the rules is a dangerously provocative route to go - most un-Chelsea like (well post Bates).  Seems pretty odd to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Even without standing being official, it will theoretically dissuade non-singers from buying tickets in those sections, assuming a perception of them being "standing areas" spreads across the fanbase and it will make what are de facto standing areas anyway more comfortable to stand in. Leading to a better atmosphere is the hope. Not sure if that's the Club's motivation, if it's something they are doing after consulting with fan groups. Considering the news stories of other Clubs installing rail seating in anticipation of a potential law change, it's probably just us following the trend. 

Nothing will help with the atmosphere other than lowering ticket prices which will nit happen.

The days of whole stadiums bouncing with an amazing atmosphere are long gone, the type of fan that wants to spend 90 minutes going mental was priced out a long time ago. 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think deliberately snubbing the rules is a dangerously provocative route to go - most un-Chelsea like (well post Bates).  Seems pretty odd to me.

Not sure it is snubbing the rules, is there anything against rail seats?

We have been deliberately snubbing the rules, by allowing standing, for ever.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Not sure it is snubbing the rules, is there anything against rail seats?

We have been deliberately snubbing the rules, by allowing standing, for ever.

For ever?  I don't go often enough to judge, but until the last season or two there has always been complaints on here about being told to sit down.

I do accept that that varies across the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

For ever?  I don't go often enough to judge, but until the last season or two there has always been complaints on here about being told to sit down.

I do accept that that varies across the ground.

In the areas that they are putting the rail seats they gave up years ago, there was a time when the entire MHL and Shed end would stand up for pretty much the entire game, its nut quite like that now but still big sections do still stand, including the 6000 odd away fans that do it every single game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   

Celtic successfully trialled it. Other clubs have installed rail seats recently. Spurs have future proofed to their new stadium with rail seats. 

There has been much discussion/consultation in recent years and months and the thinking is that safe standing will be approved soon, hence the timing of these works.

I'm certain it'll be approved officially before the end of the new season. 

As soon as that happens, our maximum capacity will increase by up to 1:1.8 for every rail seat. 1000 rail seats = 1800.

Until then, it's reduced by 500 because of that fact that the fixed rail seat takes up slightly more room them the standard seat. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ham said:

As soon as that happens, our maximum capacity will increase by up to 1:1.8 for every rail seat. 1000 rail seats = 1800.

No not at all.  As you point out the seats we have put in end up with a loss of 500 seats, 1:0.93 or 1:0.95 depending on what that 500 in the statement was meant to refer to.

Even if we did create more seats we still be stuck with the same egress limits so would just create perhaps more room for the corporates to spread out.

 

If there is a rationale for what we and other clubs have done, it is that the club recognises it can't stop fans standing, and so recognised that the old seating was dangerous as fans only has a small back of seat barrier in front of them which they could easily fall over. That and seating for non-football events.

I can't see the SSGA changing their policies mid-season, or even in July, 3 weeks before the Prem starts. 
This seems to me like safer seating for people who want to take risks.  Not permitted standing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now