• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Manchester City 0 CHELSEA 1 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2020/21

bert19   
1 hour ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

29-05-21 and the 9 is perfectly shaped to also integrate the CL trophy...I've never got a tattoo before but I am oh so tempted. 

Just as 19/05 was seemingly significant in Munich, the 29 in 29/05 was so in Porto (and if you're really superstitious or bound by fate, 19 gave the ball to 29 to score - suppose that's a sort of poetry in a way?) 

I've not really read much on here over the last few days - apologies. I will come back to the thread soon though.

I ended up elongating my bank holiday with a couple of days PTO from work on Thursday and Friday and went off to fly a load of birds of prey on Thursday afternoon, which was fantastic fun.  I sort of ended up having a very relaxed, slightly distracted, quite busy run-up to the game as a consequence.  I didn't really feel any nerves at all until I looked up at the clock and it was on 89 minutes.  

Found myself quietly confident last week, my thoughts were either a Chelsea win by one goal, or City would blitz us and win 4-1 or something.  I was leaning towards the former as I didn't see us opening ourselves out to allow City to play through us with any ease.  The media largely writing us off was a nice bonus too.  

As far as the game goes, I'm sure that I'm not the only one here that thinks we were bloody magnificent.  They ALL played well, they had a plan, they executed it superbly.  Our moments going forward always showed an intent and ability to hurt City and we exploited their weaknesses really well.  Pep's team selection was a surprise, but the absence of the DM in their team just made me think "Ah, so we have another space to exploit between their lines now - this doesn't have to just be about getting in behind their back four" 

For me, the move that got Havertz in on goal was just the most perfect example of us targeting their vulnerabilities:

Mendy goes quickly to Chilwell, who is in the space out wide between their frontline and midfield. His touch is terrific and allows Mount to turn in a pocket of space and then he makes a decoy run infield as Werner pulls the CB out towards Walker. 

Mount gets his head up quickly and plays the ball through the space the DM should be in and allows Havertz to attack it.  His first touch kills Ederson who has to come to fill the space his CBs have had to leave.  

Clever football, lovely goal. Brilliantly thought-out. And I thought that summed up the whole performance perfectly. 

And I've been positively beaming ever since.  Fantastic 🔵⚪️🏆

Bison   

I was watching the game again (as you do) and saw Tuchel absolutely hammering Werner for being offside.

The funny thing is, the linesman had an absolute nightmare as Werner was clearly on. Poor chap, he doesn't get any breaks whatsoever. 😂

Clip below, watch from exactly 52 mins (game time). 

Edited by Bison

chara   

Watched the game again yesterday....tried to"analyse" but no way!

The goal minutes before the move there was an identical lay off from Chilwell...and I think they tried it before....so obviously a planned effort which ultimately came off.

The discipline of the back line..and the others was so evident, watching somewhat calmly that is...all without parking the bus and threatening Citeh all the time.

Chelsea BEAT Citeh...not Citeh lost....TT out tactited (Thank you Big Sam!)  Pep...not Pep got it wrong....

Some great stories on here and good to see some old names back...after a season or so of no game inter action this weekend has felt like the "old days".

Special mention to PW...great post and voiced most of my thoughts..Thank You.....

Ruudboy   

If I might paraphrase ... "and so, City can wait - they know it's too late, as we're walking on by".

Might sing that when we next meet ...

Brin   
3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

All very kind.

I composed it in mind over a period of 2 days........I think sometimes waiting before posting is much easier.

One thing I did forget.........the referee. If we had that level of officials in the PL, we wouldn't even need VAR, let alone the hap hazard nonsense we have now. 

A great read PW66 and also a shout out to many of the other posters on here, the standard of posts make this forum probably the best I've come across. Do I agree with all the posts, No, do I agree with some of the posts, Yes, do I think some of the debates get a bit heated, Yes but it shows the passion for Chelsea that I share. So thanks to all. 

• Thanks 1

paulw66   
2 hours ago, Bison said:

I was watching the game again (as you do) and saw Tuchel absolutely hammering Werner for being offside.

The funny thing is, the linesman had an absolute nightmare as Werner was clearly on. Poor chap, he doesn't get any breaks whatsoever. 😂

Clip below, watch from exactly 52 mins (game time). 

Great spot.........I remember at the time they didn't show the replay

IMG_20210601_172554.jpg

Edited by paulw66

Ham   
1 hour ago, chara said:

Watched the game again yesterday....tried to"analyse" but no way!

The goal minutes before the move there was an identical lay off from Chilwell...and I think they tried it before....so obviously a planned effort which ultimately came off.

The discipline of the back line..and the others was so evident, watching somewhat calmly that is...all without parking the bus and threatening Citeh all the time.

Chelsea BEAT Citeh...not Citeh lost....TT out tactited (Thank you Big Sam!)  Pep...not Pep got it wrong....

Some great stories on here and good to see some old names back...after a season or so of no game inter action this weekend has felt like the "old days".

Special mention to PW...great post and voiced most of my thoughts..Thank You.....

It was spookily similar and just a minute or two earlier. Mendy to Chilwell on the touchline and a first touch inside and forward. Came off both times. They didn't learn. 

Just now, Ham said:

It was spookily similar and just a minute or two earlier. Mendy to Chilwell on the touchline and a first touch inside and forward. Came off both times. They didn't learn. 

They applied pressure on Jorginho, and we move it elsewhere.  That is how  it works.  You can see in that clip how the AM comes in central as Rudiger looks up, and then looks embarrassed when the ball goes wide to Chilwell.  Play Kovacic instead of Jorginho and the move is not possible.

Bison   
15 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Great spot.........I remember at the time they didn't show the replay

*pic*

It's not even close to being offside! I thought so at the time too.

Tuchel's reaction haha, mad man.