• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Manchester City 0 CHELSEA 1 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2020/21

So I made a post a few days ago about the pre-match fireworks not being shown on BT Sport, as I messaged my girlfriend about it when I was at the game and she said she didn't see them, and I confirmed for myself watching the recording that they cut to the adverts just as it was about to start!!!

It looks like the international feed showed it. 

Some people will think I'm barmy to be moaning about this, but they were really cool, I didn't record them myself at the game and in BT Sports Ultimate 4K HDR would have looked great to watch again once I get an OLED TV! 

Here is a off screen recording of them on TV:

3 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

You could argue 2019 EL win saw Sarri sacked for Kepa ;)

Sarri walked, just as the board realized he was very average coach

5 minutes ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Sarri walked, just as the board realized he was very average coach

Lucky for Sarri then that Juve gaved him a 3 year contract!

3 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

Correct, and with the twist of coaches appointed halfway through the season, whereas the PL have been won in a coaches first season "with the exception of JM MkII who did it in season 2"

It is a funny old game

Perfectly logical.  When the club has a top team it has always brought in a top manager - the Lester Piggott to race the horse.  In development it has hired young development coaches - stable jockeys - AVB and Lampard, and then got rid of them as soon as they realised the team was sub-performing.

Blue Rod   
15 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Perfectly logical.  When the club has a top team it has always brought in a top manager - the Lester Piggott to race the horse.  In development it has hired young development coaches - stable jockeys - AVB and Lampard, and then got rid of them as soon as they realised the team was sub-performing.

Once the microchip of a top manager has been inserted into your passport, luck will come your way. Years after you stop winning anything, your phone will still be ringing. You will be seeing out only 30% of your contract, but the next one awaits you. That's the way it is in football. 

I give it to the Chelsea board. They haven't fallen for the nonsense of "manager will come good" when all the signs point in the opposite direction. When the manager starts blaming top players, trying to shift them out, that's when they get shown the door. It has worked for us. We've kept a winning team while the managers have gone on to win little if anything.  

4 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Once the microchip of a top manager has been inserted into your passport, luck will come your way. Years after you stop winning anything, your phone will still be ringing. You will be seeing out only 30% of your contract, but the next one awaits you. That's the way it is in football. 

I give it to the Chelsea board. They haven't fallen for the nonsense of "manager will come good" when all the signs point in the opposite direction. When the manager starts blaming top players, trying to shift them out, that's when they get shown the door. It has worked for us. We've kept a winning team while the managers have gone on to win little if anything.  

True, but it also comes down to racing the engine as right close to the max.  Some of that is motivational powers, some is sheer bloody mindedness.  That is why I keep coming back to top jockeys and motor car racers.  They push to the limit because they are win or bust.  They really don't care if they fall off or spin, or the nag can't race again or the engine is blown.  They won't accept consistent moderate performances but they will accept the odd disaster.

When have we needed such managers?  2004, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 14, 16, 20, 21

11, 12, 13, 18, 19 were transitional years.  15 & 17 were Fxxx ups with 19 over 21 players in 2015 (inlcuding crocked CFs and all 3 GKs) and about 30 average over21s in 2017.

That is why I was so surprised SFL was kept on last summer.  the transfer deals suggested we were ready for the big time again.

50 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Which was terminated after a year :0)

Stim   
3 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I think it's the best lift of all time. It's already the wallpaper on my pc.

Eh it's missing Jose Bosingwa front and center

31 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

This is why I don't understand the platitude in football culture that there is something virtuous about keeping managers on long term even if they aren't delivering. Our trophy delivery suggests our way of doing things is correct and there isn't any less solidarity amongst the players, management staff nor fans just because we haven't had the same manager for 10-20 years. 

I think people are stuck in the 90s/early 00s Pre-Roman Era and judge everything through the lens of Ferguson and Wenger. 

7 minutes ago, Stim said:

Eh it's missing Jose Bosingwa front and center

Well it does have CHO standing there with his phone like a tourist. 

On 01/06/2021 at 0:27 PM, paulw66 said:

All...........I have been offline since Saturday morning. Been basking in the glory, taking it in, and trying to work my way out of the dog house after being a bit unwell on Saturday night around 1am. Apologies for the long post, but just read 82 pages worth, now it's my go! 

Where to start?

From a sentimental standpoint, Munich will always hold a special place in my heart. My father passed away in March 2012, and lifting the CL in May for the first time felt like the closing chapter at the end of a very difficult few months. It also felt like the last chance that Cech, JT, Lampard, Cole, Drogba would get the opportunity. I remember driving back along some anonymous stretch of German motorway feeling as though if someone made a deal whereby we could win the Trophy but I'd never go to another game, I could live with it. I had seen everything, and if we never won another game of football, none of that could be taken away.

Fast forward 9 years, and here we are again. Feels very different now.......the beginning of an exciting new chapter, with largely a young team, and much more to come. I was a lot more relaxed this time around.......the anxiousness of the first trophy was gone, plus being underdogs helped immensely. I largely avoided all media for a week or so in the build up, largely because I'd heard how sickening it was from a pro City point of view. 

Ever since Munich, a good friend (and ST holder) has always maintained we needed to win it again. Any (almost) team can spam it once. We rode our luck in 2012........bit like Liverpool spammed it in 2005. To win it twice means you can lift your head high, and say you are a European powerhouse. Goodness what Arsenal fans must be feeling? 

On to the game itself, and sorry if going over old ground, but every player stepped up on the night, and even those who didn't play, most had their moments during the campaign. 

Mendy - funnily enough had one of his quieter nights, but his distribution for the goal was key, and he earned his stripes in the semi-final really. Seems to get better and better as the games go by. Some players shrink when they move to a big club on the biggest stage; he has done the opposite. 

James - incredible performance. Got caught out early on, but recovered brilliantly. Thereafter, he was flawless. Put Sterling in his pocket

Chilwell - ditto really. Made a couple of crucial interceptions at the back post. Brilliant defending. Arguably his best game so far. 

Rudiger - that block at 0-0 turned the game. If they score first, I think we lose. And wiping out KDB - genius move! What a second half of the season he's had

Thiago - felt sorry for him, but what a signing he has been. Feel he has added so much needed knowhow to the dressing room

AC - brilliant. Calmness personified and not easy coming on mid way through a game like that. His block at the end was priceless.

Jorginho - there are still plenty who don't get it. He's crucial to this team. Calmness on the ball, positionally magnificent, the perfect partner for Kante

Mount - what can you say? Not one of his busiest games in attack, but made the goal and must have made 100 tackles / recoveries. The pictures of him with the trophy will be etched on the memory. What a player, what a guy.

Werner - I know he frustrates, but again, he is crucial to the way we play. The run he made for the goal, left the gap for Havertz, and the defender marking him played Havertz onside. if you play with a slow centre forward the chance never comes. And lastly, he doesn't stop trying, and he doesn't hide. I really hope he comes good next season, but he gives everything.

Havertz - what a special player he will be. Struggled at times this season, but delivered on the biggest stage. Really glad it was him who got the goal

I have left 2 players until the end. The two players that IMO now belong in the Cech, Terry, Lampard, Drogba conversations.........

N'Golo Kante - my word. These games are built for him. Big, big games and he delivers. He has had his injuries this season, and will need to be managed going forward, but in the biggest games, there is nobody you'd want instead. Jorginho is the perfect foil for him, but his running, tackling, interceptions and ball carrying..... He is like having two players in there. 4 consecutive MOM displays in the CL.........he must be in contention for the Ballon D'or. And such a lovely, humble man. 

Cesaer Azpilicueta - what a sight that was seeing him lift the cup. Another seemingly lovely bloke, who again delivered a masterclass in one on one defending. Has been criticised as a captain for not being enough of a leader, but Saturday puts that to bed. His interview with Havertz was telling. Really backed the young man publicly after the difficult season he has had. Really made him sound like the club father figure. 

A word on TT.......... aside from the tactical stuff, and how he has transformed the defence, he seems to have built a fantastic spirit. Looking back at the celebrations, it is amazing to see the reactions from those who either didn't get off the bench, or those who weren't even on it. To a man everyone was delirious, and was great to see. Give this man a couple of big players, and we are a real danger.

On City.........their arrogance astounded me. Everyone connected to the club seemed convinced they would win 3-0 at least. No Final, particularly in the CL is ever easy. I'm so glad it was them we beat.......and no team deserves to win their first final. You have to go through a Moscow before you can get your hands on the big one. On Pep.....in an interview during the week he was asked if losing to us twice had made any difference to the final.. He said no, it means nothing. Well.........that's horse manure. He overthought the whole thing. Playing without either Fernandinho or Rodri was arrogant and stupid. I still don't buy the holy status he enjoys. Spends a billion quid and wins the league.....well done. His CL record over 5 years at City (and further back at Bayern) is abysmal. 

Looking back at the whole campaign, in the knockout stages, we dominated every tie, and had the better of the final. If 2012 included a fair amount of luck, then 2021 was just about as merited as any previous CL winner in living memory. Penny for the thoughts of Hazard and Willian? Can't help feel for Frank too, and hope he enjoyed watching it as much as we did........oh, nearly forgot, how good was Joe Cole on BT? I bet the Hammers loved seeing him bounce up and down like a kid when scored, and won! 

I don't know about all of you, but I am looking forward to a football break. This season, of all seasons, feels like we have had a crucial game every 3 or 4 days, and it is mentally exhausting! Have enjoyed debating with all of you, despite the differences of opinions, which is what is so great about following sport. I also can't wait though to get back to the Bridge and belt out, "Champions of Europe, we know what we are"..........I think only then will it sink in properly. It still feels surreal.

Love to all. 

p.s.  I had gentleman's agreement with a mate and my nephew we would get Chelsea tatoos if we won........I'll let you know how it goes. 

Fantastic post and sums it up perfectly. Regarding the bolded bit, I saw a stat claiming we win every knockout tie and the final with at least 1 goal advantage in terms of xG. 

The final was one goals but the other were at least with a two goal margin. This was no fluke, we dominated A Madrid, Porto, R Madrid and City to in the cup. There’s no discussion, we fully deserved this and no one can claim otherwise!