• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Manchester City 0 CHELSEA 1 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2020/21

12 hours ago, Backbiter said:

We didn't have a colour TV in 1970. But I gather some people did. I had a mate who had a microwave before punk rock was invented.

We got ours about 1970, I'm guessing it was for the cup final, though those decisions then were Mum's not Dad's.  At least we didn't get one specially for the 1969 moon landing like some people did.

Microwaves - back in the days when they didn't switch off when you opened the door.

Sciatika   
20 hours ago, Backbiter said:

We didn't have a colour TV in 1970. But I gather some people did. I had a mate who had a microwave before punk rock was invented.

Dad worked on Magnetrons in the early 70s. No, they are not robots that can morph into vehicles. They were valves that were used to generate the microwaves used in radar systems. But unlike your domestic microwave, they were rated in Giga-Watts. That's the kind of microwave that would not so much cook your dinner as instantly vaporise it. :-)

Buy a TV? At my nan’s we only rented until long into the 70’s. TV rent man used to call out to the house on a Saturday afternoon during the ITV World of Sport wrestling. Followed by the Coronna van (deliveries of fizzy drink). I think colour TV only came to our house mid 70’s. Something to do with Pot Black on BBC2 if I recall. 

Used to get money for returning the empty bottles, suffice to say if you left the ‘returns’ out they got borrowed. 

chara   
9 minutes ago, East Lower said:

Buy a TV? At my nan’s we only rented until long into the 70’s. TV rent man used to call out to the house on a Saturday afternoon during the ITV World of Sport wrestling. Followed by the Coronna van (deliveries of fizzy drink). I think colour TV only came to our house mid 70’s. Something to do with Pot Black on BBC2 if I recall. 

Used to get money for returning the empty bottles, suffice to say if you left the ‘returns’ out they got borrowed. 

Ah EL...all our (my) yesterdays...memories of scouring the local open spaces (Roe Green for those who may know the area!) for bottles to return to the local newsagent who I did a paper round for........

5 hours ago, East Lower said:

My nan had a TV with a meter attached to it. You had to feed it half crowns to get it to work!

Totally in keeping with the outside bog and the coin operated electricity meter on the stairs......but we are in danger of straying into 4 Yorkshiremen territory now!

10 hours ago, chara said:

Ah EL...all our (my) yesterdays...memories of scouring the local open spaces (Roe Green for those who may know the area!) for bottles to return to the local newsagent who I did a paper round for........

Bottle returns - probably the 1970’s version of ‘turf-wars’. Dare not stray into the next road to ‘collect’. Never any nastiness, but you knew you’d get retaliatory action. 

5 hours ago, RDC Williams said:

My nan had a TV with a meter attached to it. You had to feed it half crowns to get it to work!

Totally in keeping with the outside bog and the coin operated electricity meter on the stairs......but we are in danger of straying into 4 Yorkshiremen territory now!

I think she got the TV from Rediffusion? You had to turn a dial to get to the channel - all 3 channels that were available back then  

We had an outside bog too! Next to the coal bunker. Coal man used to deliver a sack a week. Water and house heating fired by a coal boiler and a Rayburn coal fire jobby. 

Crowns, not sure I remember those - too poor for those rich family things :happy:

I do remember pre-decimalisation money. Being able to buy a mars bar and a packet of crisps with 2.5d. Change from a shilling!

Good to reminisce, occasionally. 

paulw66   
9 hours ago, RDC Williams said:

And I thought TV tech had come a long way in my lifetime!

I remember my parents getting their first flat screen, and they asked me to carry their old TV from the lounge, upstairs to their bedroom. Bloody thing weighed as much as a teenage boy, but far more awkward in shape. 

Ruudboy   

vintage television in polished wood cabinet

Our first telly was black & white, had a 23cm screen, and 405 lines (24 refreshes / second). Bloody thing took up half the parlour and weighed a ton - my old man fixed tellys and picked it up from a customer when it blew its umpteenth ECL80 valve. Apart from the on-off, brightness, contract and volume knobs, you had to adjust horizontal hold to stop the screen going mental; and vertical hold to stop the picture rolling. And no remote of course - remote was us kids getting up and changing channels for the oldies. One good thing about it - if you salvaged the speaker, it worked well with an AC30 amp ...

• Like 1

Sciatika   

Our first tv was a Teleton portable TV in the '70s. We only got it because my uncle worked in the warehouse and was really cheap with his discount. I would have been about eleven or twelve. Even once we got it, we still mainly used the radio or, as my parents would have it, the wireless. Now that I am writing this, I wonder how they might have thought it could be wired! The sort of thought that, if voiced, would earn me a clip round the ear.  I still do use the radio more than the TV. Anyway, the TV broke down a few years later, and we discovered it would cost more to replace than repair. Dad briefly toyed with building his own. He had built a record deck, amp and tape recorder, and he worked at the valve company, so he ought to be able to get the tubes. But, with Dad, enthusiasm for this kind of thing often quickly waned. He never liked the TV much anyway, probably because it came courtesy of an uncle he did not like much.

Ruudboy   

We had a wired radio - not wireless - someone in the road had a radio, and we had a wired connection to it. It was either on or off, and the station was The Third Programme - Radio Three - take it or leave it. Not exactly something I ever wanted to listen to.

• Like 1