• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 1 Villarreal 1 (6 - 5 on penalties)

asvaberg   
14 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Pre-season and all that, but it really was just a repeat of last season. To be honest, I became bored of being critical of him. If some still can't see how bang average he is, well they will be forever in the camp that defends him. 

I get he works hard, he gives the team an outlet and he is flexible across the front three positions. His running from wide and pace also played a crucial role in how we played last season and clearly had some influence in what the club achieved last season.

However, if he had a touch, brain, strength, ability to make good decisions then we could achieve so much more.

I have said this so many times and want to remain consistent. I don't criticise his missed chances, he gets so many he will always score some goals. I criticise the ball bouncing off him continuously, the amount of times he runs down blind avenues and falls over, the amount of times full backs and centre backs win the ball back of him with ease at lot of the time.

Difficult to not be dogmatic with him, because I see a number of bad things from him every single game.I acknowledge he has some plus points for the team as a whole though. 

.....and he (Werner) also opened up the defence for Ziyech to score. Pretty important move for the team.

11 minutes ago, bert19 said:

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I have the feeling his card has been marked. 

The Blue shirt is a dead giveaway.

10 hours ago, chara said:

[SNIP]

Both of Kepa's saves were good....not perfectly taken but low and difficult..waiting to read TT's comments about the sub situation.....

[SNIP]

In his post-match interview, Tuchel said that the technical department had noted that Keps's stats were better than Mendy's in terms of facing penalties, and as a result - following discussions with the keepers themselves - it had been decided (as early as last season's FA Cup game against Barnsley) that if a substitution could be made, then Kepa would come on for Mendy in penalty shoot-outs.

That explains why Mendy came off without any fuss... ALL the players knew it would happen.

Bison   
1 minute ago, Bob Singleton said:

In his post-match interview, Tuchel said that the technical department had noted that Keps's stats were better than Mendy's in terms of facing penalties, and as a result - following discussions with the keepers themselves - it had been decided (as early as last season's FA Cup game against Barnsley) that if a substitution could be made, then Kepa would come on for Mendy in penalty shoot-outs.

That explains why Mendy came off without any fuss... ALL the players knew it would happen.

To add to this, Tuchel said they studied the keepers last year and decided that the pecking order for penalties was:

1) Caballero

2) Kepa

3) Mendy 

In an alternate universe Caballero is the hero of Porto after saving 3 penalties. 

Holymoly   

Favourite moment of the game, apart from the penalties obviously, around the eight minute mark after Havertz had whipped the ball in from the left and the ball broke out of the penalty box Kante stole the ball away from Gerard Moreno after having given him about a ten yard start then almost scored with a long range effort. Clearly took the captain's responsibility very seriously.

Jasonb   
4 hours ago, East Lower said:

Team looked half-cooked in terms of fitness and match sharpness, particularly those who will have started their pre-seasons later than others. 

That might explain the good first half and generally second best in the second half - we thought we could operate at three-quarter pace and still win. Soon as they equalised, we upped our game. 

I thought Kante looked fit as did Alonso. Credit to the latter as being linked as a ‘makeweight’ in a transfer deal can’t make you feel better about yourself. 

Their goal, good bit of interplay between their front two, but Rudiger has to concentrate. Got dragged out off the 18 yard line, leaving a massive hole for the forward to run into and got nowhere near the guy who eventually scored, then didn’t track his run. 

Really pleased for Kepa. Moment in the sun for him, deserved in my opinion. He’s not openly dissented since Mendy came in and publicly appears to be on board with this ‘group’ mentality thing we seem to be championing. 

Good points.

I also thought Alonso was decent too and like you say given the transfer speculation you would wonder about his commitment. Deserved a goal and made the keeper work.

Re the goal, Gerard Moreno kept on moving forward and Rudiger and Kova just watched. Can't blame Blondie (aka Jorgy) for that one.

A blow that Ziyech was injured he has been really good in this pre-season spell, just as well Lukaku is on the horizon. 

Kante was unlucky not to score and even Werner's  quickly taken volley / lob drew a save.

Mount later on made the keeper work.

At times we played well and other at times we were caught napping.

Nice to see Kepa being the hero for once.

What a great way to start the season!

9 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Rudiger has definitely got more aggressive over the last few months. It's something the team needs and I am pleased to see it, not sure what has sparked it. Maybe built up frustrations of him falling out of favour with Lampard.

He has been playing with a real attitude and almost chip on his shoulder over the last half a season. Always a balancing act to make sure he stays on the right side of things, but this extra aggression he seems to have added to his game is having a positive impact imo.

I think he has always had an attitude, but he also has mega pace.  In a back 4 he tends to play the pacy cover guy with someone else attacking the ball.  In a back 3 Silva (or even Zouma) has played central and Azpi and Rudiger have played almost half-backs, attacking the man with the ball, trying to win it, and going forward even to overlap the WB.  
For me that is why he appears to be a different kind of player.

8 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Shout out to Mason Mount who was absolutely fantastic when he came on , future club Captain I reckon . Great attitude. 

Yes.  Fantastic and amazing attitude.  It was a mixed performance, a few I'd like to criticise, but this early in the season is probably unfair.

7 hours ago, asvaberg said:

.....and he (Werner) also opened up the defence for Ziyech to score. Pretty important move for the team.

Opponents hate playing against him whether he scores or doesn't.  Sometimes what a player might do on the pitch (and the impact that has on the defending) is as important as what he does do.

6 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Yes, that was interesting.  Mendy was probably 4th player to get to Kepa to congratulate him, with the first three starting their sprint from the centre circle.  There seems to be a great attitude in the squad.
Even Abrahams looked like he is still keen to be included.

28 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes, that was interesting.  Mendy was probably 4th player to get to Kepa to congratulate him, with the first three starting their sprint from the centre circle.  There seems to be a great attitude in the squad.

Even Abrahams looked like he is still keen to be included.

Absolutely. It really does look like a "all for one and one for all" squad. Of course, it's easier to be like that if you keep winning big silver trophies! 😉
As Joe Cole said last night, it does make those not playing still feel part of it all... like Kepa knowing that in a final, he personally, could still have an effect on the game, even if he doesn't start. Not sure what Tuchel's putting in their tea, but it looks to be working for now.