• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Romelu Lukaku returns to Chelsea on a 5 year deal

13 minutes ago, r.bartlett said:

We've been down this road so many times. Pay well over the odds for the right player at the wrong time.. How many more times do we need to keep making the same mistake?

Drogba and Costa weren't mistakes.  Nor was Anelka.
And just look at the rest of the squad.  There has never been a more Right time than now.

Torres and Morata though were certainly wrong player AND wrong time.

5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Drogba and Costa weren't mistakes.  Nor was Anelka.
And just look at the rest of the squad.  There has never been a more Right time than now.

Torres and Morata though were certainly wrong player AND wrong time.

And shevy don't forget.. Plus we are buying another striker for a reason....

4 minutes ago, r.bartlett said:

And shevy don't forget.. 

Yes - but it was the right time.  We were still going places in 2006.
2006-2010 was 2nd, 2nd, 3rd and 1st in the prem, 3x FA cups, 1x LC, and SF, Final, SF, last 16 in the CL. 
We only needed a little bit more - so a great time to buy a big name striker.

I think a lot of us can see Morata and Torres weren't the real deal.  Still not sure why Sheva didn't work out. 

10 minutes ago, r.bartlett said:

Plus we are buying another striker for a reason....

Sorry - not quite sure what you meant there.

6 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Sorry - not quite sure what you meant there.

Werner ?? 

5 minutes ago, r.bartlett said:

Werner ?? 

We still need 2 strikers, and I'm not sure Havertz is ready to start there regularly.
Both Havertz and Werner offer other combinations and roles.

I know some have had enough of Werner (was that you at Cobham today?).  But I haven't.  For me he remains a top player, purely based on what I have seen him do in a Chelsea shirt.  The guy has real guts, a proper attitude and unbelievable pace.  He is going to shock some people this season.  10 or 15 games ago people were saying the same about Havertz.

We could have kept Tammy or Giroud as CF2.  I don't think many are surprised we choose to keep Werner.

36 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

We still need 2 strikers, and I'm not sure Havertz is ready to start there regularly.
Both Havertz and Werner offer other combinations and roles.

I know some have had enough of Werner (was that you at Cobham today?).  But I haven't.  For me he remains a top player, purely based on what I have seen him do in a Chelsea shirt.  The guy has real guts, a proper attitude and unbelievable pace.  He is going to shock some people this season.  10 or 15 games ago people were saying the same about Havertz.

We could have kept Tammy or Giroud as CF2.  I don't think many are surprised we choose to keep Werner.

FYI for the past  6 years I have lived  in Tenerife so that and the fact that as  the owner of an AC company on an island currently experiencing temperatures this week of around 45c chances of me being at Cobham today is unlikely 

As regards Werner I certainly never wish any player misfortune but it's beholding on them to prove their worth not for me to have blind faith in their ability or their 'TBC'  abilities.  No other  industry I can think of repeatedly  reward failure -and often abject failure- so  rather handsomely as modern football and it's something I still struggle to come to terms with more often than not.

31 minutes ago, r.bartlett said:

FYI for the past  6 years I have lived  in Tenerife so that and the fact that as  the owner of an AC company on an island currently experiencing temperatures this week of around 45c chances of me being at Cobham today is unlikely 

Obviously I was joking, but 45c - wow.  I thought the canaries were 30c max all year around.  Good business to be in though.

I still think we are in for a good season from Werner.

Rob B   
25 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I’d love for you to be right, I really would, but I just can’t see it personally.

With Havertz, his ‘class’ was there from day one.  It was clear that with a bit more sharpness and getting used to the PL physicality etc he would be fine. His movement is up there with one of the best I’ve seen - so intelligent. 

Werner on the other hand, just fails with the basics so often. Attacks break down and defenders rob him of the ball so easily.  The only time I’m remotely hopeful he will produce something is if a defence have a really high line and he rolls a ball across the box for someone else to tap in.  

I’ve got all my fingers crossed he comes good because he works hard, doesn’t hide and seems like a genuinely good guy, but I’m not sure he has what it takes.  A silly example being the video of Lukaku gesturing him with hand signals during a brief 121 in that open-training session about runs to make etc. Timo is nodding along like a lap dog, not like someone who is only a few years younger and an international superstar themselves - could be nothing but he just doesn’t give me that cut-throat killer striker feeling - confident, demanding, bossy etc. 

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Obviously I was joking, but 45c - wow.  I thought the canaries were 30c max all year around.  Good business to be in though.

Every now and again we get heatwaves over from the Sahara. This one was particularly brutal. 

It's not the norm but it's not abnormal either

10 hours ago, r.bartlett said:

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

6 hours ago, r.bartlett said:

Every now and again we get heatwaves over from the Sahara. This one was particularly brutal. 

It's not the norm but it's not abnormal either

Going to send these snippets to Greta Thunberg along with a link to becoming a Member.

Edited by Wolfie Smith
Me thinks Greta might have a few choice words for you two chaps on aforementioned subject :0)