• Current Donation Goals

5 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

It did stand out a mile didn't it. It's only one game and all that, but I was surprised how obvious a difference it made with just a change of one player.

I  don't think it was the change of 1 player.  The positioning of James was quite different and he really made a huge difference.  We have gone from Chilwell and James playing from the halfway line and crossing curved balls to strikes 20/30m ahead of them, to Alonso and  (Azpi first, but now) James hitting the byline and crossing horizontally or cutting it back.

And Kovacic is now touch, touch pass,
instead of touch, touch look up, decide, dribble because he is now challenged, touch touch look up and on again.
In other words Kovacic is not doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing.
I don't think Kovacic dribble the ball once in the whole game!!!!!   Which is pretty crucial because he is the one who is allowed most time on the ball.

4 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

That was such an easy watch. I don't think we were that great overall, but aside from 5 minutes at the end of the first half we were very, very comfortable. A pleasing Sunday afternoon.

Yes.  Very different from the marginal games of TT last season.  We got both goals H1.  Sat back and waited to hit them on the break, but they did not dare push.
We are CL champions now - it is natural that teams go a goal or two down against us and worry more about their self-confidence if they get a tonking than gaining a point.
And this season we have the tools to score 4 as well.

3 hours ago, bert19 said:

He was very good (helped by Mari deciding that trying to match him physically was the best way to deal with him.  Whoever came up with that plan is definitely struggling). 

I feel like anyone that is willing to run beyond Lukaku will score lots of goals this season.  We've got to encourage Mount/Havertz/Werner/Pulisic/Ziyech to be getting around him when he has his back to goal.  Those knock-downs and lay-offs are going to be so useful.  

yes - Arsenal keep doing that don't they.
Yes if teams push up on Lukaku it is going to leave a lot of space in front and out wide.

14 minutes ago, Ibn Battuta said:

I hope the Lukaku doubters take a breather, but no doubt the criticism will be there when the performances are more grey. However, I believe his effect on our team will be consistently good because of his skill set. Just like Drogba always was good for us, even when he was bad. Many times it is about the potential threat rather then the real threat. Just like having Werner on and his speed. It keeps defenses honest. 

yes - having a threat is a threat in itself.  And I am glad you referenced Werner.  He might never score again but oppo defenders will always fear playing against him.

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

yes - having a threat is a threat in itself.  And I am glad you referenced Werner.  He might never score again but oppo defenders will always fear playing against him.

Think I'd play Werner on the left next Saturday. Liverpool wont sit back, particularly TAA

6 hours ago, Holymoly said:

Nothing said about the bottle that was thrown at Reece after he scored?

No indeed not.

However if the press had got wind of what was said by two moron's positioned directly behind me in our end, there'd have been quite a lot said about that. Absolute b***ends, I've messaged the club, hopefully there'll be some action.

Other point being, every club has got some of the above, just gotta weed them out one-by-one now. The latter being a reflection of how far the game has come on from my view.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Think I'd play Werner on the left next Saturday. Liverpool wont sit back, particularly TAA

What will be interesting is Lukaku up against Van Dyke. 

Lukaku should sit right on top of him all game, Van Dyke consistently hits long diagonal balls to to their wing-backs when opposition defenses tuck in narrow to deny Salah, Mane, Jota/Firminho space. If RL can stop those balls at source, it cuts that option out for them. 

That game will test Romelu both offensively and defensively.  

bert19   
1 hour ago, East Lower said:

No indeed not.

However if the press had got wind of what was said by two moron's positioned directly behind me in our end, there'd have been quite a lot said about that. Absolute b***ends, I've messaged the club, hopefully there'll be some action.

Other point being, every club has got some of the above, just gotta weed them out one-by-one now. The latter being a reflection of how far the game has come on from my view.

Agree with you.  It does feel like football fans need to start policing themselves though.  This sort of casual tolerance of disgusting language and behaviour feels like it has protection that comes from people not just reporting it or speaking up as a collective to let people know "Hey, that's not ok, you need to stop saying/doing it" 

Bison   
7 hours ago, East Lower said:

No indeed not.

Well done on reporting it. Hope the club takes action.

As for the game, very comfortable win against an average Arsenal side. Some really good play at times which is promising.

I have to say, offensively it looks like Alonso is playing at a level above anything Chilwell has shown in a Chelsea shirt. I think Chilwell plays against Liverpool because of the speed they have out wide but in the games against the lesser sides Alonso is a must. I wouldn't have said that this time last year. Football, eh? Funny old game.

Edited by Bison

paulw66   
6 hours ago, Ham said:

Oops!

Screenshot_20210824-001913_Chrome.jpg

Ha ha..... He's off anyway, but I wouldn't be happy if the boot was on the other foot