• Current Donation Goals

Floyd25   
2 hours ago, JaneB said:

Also found this gem:-  The cheating in the Premier League is now at an outrageous level, diving for penalties, feigning injury to get out of a tight spot or simply to waste time, they were shocking today, and they're far from being the only culprits.

The gift that never disappoints, although I take it he wasn't talking about his own team.

To be fair to that poster, I didn’t think their vocabulary extended much past ‘istoree’, class, chav or rent boy. Those are always the words they like to pull out of a hat every time we play them, if you took a shot for every time they said one of those words you’d need a stomach pump. 

• Haha 1

Typical match-day thread.

Usual suspects moaning about our players and others commenting on refereeing decisions without a basic understanding of the laws of the game.
The laws may very well be stupid, but don't blame the ref for adhering to them (and no, he can't show leniency... it's not down to his interpretation)

As for the game itself... I would hope a few more weeks down the line - after more training sessions and games together - that last season's players attune themselves to Lukaku's wavelength/movement and vice-versa. We could easily have been two or three up long before Liverpool's 44th minute rally that led to the penalty. Great second half keeping them out, but I'm concerned regarding how many niggling injuries Kanté is picking up. He's 30 now and we need to be looking for a replacement a.s.a.p.  Rice isn't the answer, by the way. Not at £30m and certainly not at £100m. We also need to be looking at a replacement for Jorginho, too, sooner rather than later.

I think many here would have taken a 1-1 draw before kick off.

• Like 1

Rob B   
45 minutes ago, r.bartlett said:

Sure he will score against bottom clubs and look great against poor defenders but he was out muscled today by a quality defence and will be again and again against the top clubs. He did very little of any real effect and never really looked like scoring

I believe he will fail to shine in the very games we need him to.

Goals against the bottom clubs are exactly the goals we need!  Dropped points last season against West Brom x 2, Southampton, Brighton, Villa, Wolves, Leeds etc. 

Ham   
12 minutes ago, Floyd25 said:

Worst ref in the league, even if he got it right today he’s shocking. Fabinho with about 6 fouls and no yellow says it all. 

Which is precisely why the club needs to make an official complaint.  

On 8/23/2021 at 7:30 AM, Mark Kelly said:

In fairness we'd probably get a fairer game than if Anthony Taylor gets it. 

200% spot on. Sadly. 

6 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

I see their plan is to foul every time we break on them and hope the ref has left his cards at home (which so far he has).

Zero cards against Liverpool. Speaks volumes. Even the Sallah petulant kicking the ball out didn’t warrant a yellow. Ok. 

Blue Rod   
2 hours ago, RDC Williams said:

I think every game is appropriate on which to judge him. I think, even taking into account the situation, he was poor in pretty much everything he did. Nothing stuck to him, very little he tried was successful in the execution and he neither started nor finished anything of note. Imagine Mark Hughes, Kerry Dixon, Didier Drogba, Nicholas Anelka or JFH in this game and each would have held the ball up better and offered more threat.

I hope he is better than he showed today, but I really fear that he is exactly as limited as he appeared.

Mount is clearly at fault for not picking him out in at least two clear situations. But that is a different story.

My worry about Lukaku today is not about his not scoring, rather that he seemed to offer almost nothing when he did not get a pass to him. He looked completely out of the game once we went down to defending. He was walking about, sometimes in the opposite direction from the ball. We quite simply played 9 against 11. That worries me, and Lulaku is not 18 yrs old. Let's hope that he improves. There is no room for mediocrity in this team. 

SS_89   

I was never fully on board with lukaku as a signing but I'm willing to give him more than the two games he's had (the first of which he was admittedly dominant although against a poor side) before I pass any judgement. It at least seems that some fans would quite happily see him fail just to say 'told you so we should have bought Haaland' or some other unattainable flavour of the month. 

How about we support our players and hope that they flourish...maybe that's too much of a novel idea.

I actually thought he did reasonably well today given the circumstances and hopefully as the system beds in and he gets use to the play that we reap the rewards. 

Edited by SS_89