• Current Donation Goals

3 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I think it's a tough call between Havertz and Werner , do you go for the speed of Werner or the ghostly qualities of Havertz to pop up unseen and bag a goal. Difficult .

15 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I think it will be very close to this..........possibly Chilwell at LWB to negate the speed on their right 

Havertz to start for me. Liverpool are notoriously quick starters in the last 4-5 years, I expect it will be backs to the walls for us in the first 10-15 mins until we can get a grip on the game. I think we would get more joy from using Werner's pace from off the bench later on.

I can only see Kante or possibly Chilwell coming in from Sunday. The worry with Chilwell is he has only really trained since the end of last season, got no Euro's action and then had a holiday and back to training. Alonso playing well and going to be much sharper than Chilwell currently, be a tough game to throw him back into first up.

What a gamer this is set up to be, two proper title contenders early on in the season. There is more pressure on Liverpool than us, although I fully expect Sky Sports to do their best to switch it the other way with Lukaku here now and try and push us as favourites, etc.

I would personally put Chilwell in for this, I think we'll need his defensive qualities over Alonso's attacking qualities for this one and then the other decision will be Werner or Havertz (says so much about Mount that he's the automatic start in the front 3 alongside Lukaku). I think the pace of Werner could be ideal for this one, as we know Liverpool will push up high and especially the full-backs, so just imagine the space he could get if they're doing that AND worrying about Lukaku. Obviously, the other option could be Ziyech, his balls into the box for Lukaku could be very interesting indeed.

Personally, I would go with:

Mendy

Azpi - Christensen - Rudiger

James - Jorginho - Kante - Chilwell

Mount - Lukaku - Werner

paulw66   
28 minutes ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Havertz to start for me. Liverpool are notoriously quick starters in the last 4-5 years, I expect it will be backs to the walls for us in the first 10-15 mins until we can get a grip on the game. I think we would get more joy from using Werner's pace from off the bench later on.

I can only see Kante or possibly Chilwell coming in from Sunday. The worry with Chilwell is he has only really trained since the end of last season, got no Euro's action and then had a holiday and back to training. Alonso playing well and going to be much sharper than Chilwell currently, be a tough game to throw him back into first up.

Agree all round........wouldn't be shocked or disappointed either way with LWB or Werner / Havertz. 

Nice to have the options. 

bert19   

I think the main thing is not to be 1-0 down in the first 15 mins.  Always strikes me that if you get to the 20 minute mark up there without conceding and you have any quality in attack, you've given yourself a great chance to get a result.  

Dig in and be more aggressive with that final ball in attack and we've got a great chance to win this one. 

Chrisb   

I’d go with Werner, he caused them problems last season and had a goal chalked off thanks to a slightly protruding chest hair. Not sure Dick van Dyke and his motley crew can cope with his pace and Lukaku’s physicality at the same time.

bert19   
14 minutes ago, Chrisb said:

I’d go with Werner, he caused them problems last season and had a goal chalked off thanks to a slightly protruding chest hair. Not sure Dick van Dyke and his motley crew can cope with his pace and Lukaku’s physicality at the same time.

So 3-4-1-2 with Lukaku / Werner as out and out CFs and Mount as the 10? Or would you have both Mount & Werner as 10s ? 

Flinkers   
2 minutes ago, bert19 said:

So 3-4-1-2 with Lukaku / Werner as out and out CFs and Mount as the 10? Or would you have both Mount & Werner as 10s ? 

3-4-2-1 with Mount and Werner playing off Lukaku. I think that would work nicely.

If we want to go ultra-attacking + hard press we could drop Kovacic/Jorginho for Mount, leave Alonso at LWB and put Havertz or Ziyech in the inside RF spot. Prbbably not the opponent for that though...

Diddymen   

we are really stacked with quality players! Just wondering if CHO and Zyech are considering leaving because of this?

paulw66   
23 minutes ago, Diddymen said:

we are really stacked with quality players! Just wondering if CHO and Zyech are considering leaving because of this?

It's a different story when we start playing 2 games a week.

Diddymen   
2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

It's a different story when we start playing 2 games a week.

true!