• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 3 Aston Villa 0

Ham   

Just a shame Lukaku scored those two goals in Ronaldo week.

chelboy   

This is probably the first game that really showed the value of both a top GK and a top ST. It makes a massive difference at both ends. Our defending and attacking wasn’t great at all but the GK and ST did the business and were the game changers today. Key players. 

• Like 1

Much better second half , we were far more "at it" than the first 

Ex Manchester United striker Lukaku , Kovacic , Mendy and Silva all good , the rest a bit meh to be honest .

3 points against an aggressive Villa side , constantly in the refs ear about every thing is a great result .

I hope Alan Smith's post match curry gives him the squits.

Holymoly   

Like I said at half time. This is the sort of game where Lukaku makes a difference. Last year we wouldn't have got the 3 points in this sort of game.

3 minutes ago, Ham said:

Just a shame Lukaku scored those two goals in Ronaldo week.

That's "Ex Manchester United striker Romelu Lukaku" ©Sky TV

Well that has made my mind up about Lukaku - at least till Christmas

CHO, Chalobah, Saul and arguably Ziyech all started from out 20+ in the pecking order players.  I don't think any of them did themselves much good.  
Axpi and Jorginho came on and showed the starters how to play (Azpi's assist was once again a perfect lesson in how to play WB).

Good result, and RLC and Barkley will have enjoyed it.  I shouldn't think TT is happy.
But winning games comfortably despite looking 2nd best for 60 mins is what champions do well I guess.

56 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Kovacic played 248 mins over the break too - I'd expect him off early - maybe as soon as h/t.

Posted that and walked back to Telly thinking I should have written Jorginho for Saul.  TT obviously knew a bit more about Kovacic's energy levels than I did.

We did look a lot better with Jorginho and we gave the ball away much more rarely H2 (and with Villa's weaker press were less vulnerable when we did).

7 minutes ago, chelboy said:

This is probably the first game that really showed the value of both a top GK and a top ST. It makes a massive difference at both ends. Our defending and attacking wasn’t great at all but the GK and ST did the business and were the game changers today. Key players. 

Yes.  I wouldn't go overboard on Mendy on just this performance - most of his saves came from very poor shots.  His strength is the good performances under Frank and then he stepped up like the others under TT so has been doing it for a long time now.
But the the first finish by Lukaku was really game changing.

Two years of not knowing what a Mateo Kovacic is, turns out all I needed was 10 minutes of watching Saul Niguez to get it. I'll make no firm judgements but it really was obvious within 2 minutes that he does not know what the Premier League is. Hopefully a lesson learned. Perhaps a few people had my Kovacic epiphany but about Jorginho instead, different game once he came on.

Hudson-Odoi looks less and less like a Chelsea player whenever he plays. I really hope there wasn't any genuine board pressure to play him under Sarri, because if there was and it stopped him going on loan, it ended his hopes of a top-level career.

Lukaku doing exactly what is needed. He makes me feel very confident about this season.