• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 3 Aston Villa 0

1 hour ago, bert19 said:

Why are we being forced to endure another crappy International break 3 games into the season though? Just as the games are starting to get going, squads are all broken up and dispersed across every Covid hotspot around the World. It’s so bloody tedious.

Every year we wait for the season to start and before it gets going it's stopped for something hardly anyone wants .

They should just sweep international football to the margins where it belongs .

4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

They should just sweep international football to the margins where it belongs .

Problem is, Mark, that many people earn their exaggerated incomes from this nonsense. Mostly coaches, executives (for whom it's all about money and power) and the general toadies. 

3 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

Problem is, Mark, that many people earn their exaggerated incomes from this nonsense. Mostly coaches, executives (for whom it's all about money and power) and the general toadies. 

And underneath that is the voting structure of FIFA and EUFA.  Every country gets 1 vote (excepting UK which gets 4, one for each team).
It means 1 English vote fights 3 small country votes, that have insignificant leagues but a few decent players and (as MT points to) most of their income from the International set up.
The ratio is much the same across Europe and the world.

That means the FIFA/UEFA members that get voted on the committee will always back too much international football.

Plus TV competition does not help.   SKY and BT I'm sure would love football to be limited to league and CL.  But BBC and ITV have biggish sports budgets of their own and are delighted to pay to see 10 WC qualifiers even if 60% of it is San Marino (pop 33k) twice, Albania twice  and 2 games in a month against Andorra (pop 77k).

Fun fact - there are 2,800 males in San Marino aged 20-35.  That is like an average University side.  

Fun fact 2, England are the only big football country to have played Trinidad and Tobago in a friendly without hosting the WC a few years before or after.
We actually played them in 2008 after playing them in a WC qualifier in 2006.

On 03/09/2021 at 10:54 PM, bert19 said:

Why are we being forced to endure another crappy International break 3 games into the season though? Just as the games are starting to get going, squads are all broken up and dispersed across every Covid hotspot around the World. It’s so bloody tedious.

World Cup innit 💰 That it was awarded to Qatar shows that it’s all about the money. 🧨

On 04/09/2021 at 0:10 AM, Michael Tucker said:

Yes. You know Mr Tucker, there are many things in the world that are wrong but aren’t obscene. But these greedy leeches - already wealthy - acting as they do to get even more money is imo truly obscene. I’ve no problem with people making money but I do have a problem with greed, bribery and ripping people off. 💁🏿‍♂️

• Like 1

Sciatika   

International football teaches me one thing above all others. You can any number of the best players in a country, but if they only get together to train for a couple of weeks every few months, they will never build up the kinds of relationship that is needed in top-level football. In the end, the international game is, inevitably, second-rate. This is why teams of amateurs from small countries are so frequently able to beat their professional counterparts. Far from being the pinnacle of the game, it is a poor second to the club game. I always feel sorry for supporters of the lower league clubs who follow England because it is probably the best they ever get to support. What this all teaches me is that football is not about individuals but about the relationships that develop in the team. So, having learnt that, why they have to persist in repeating the lesson every three months is beyond me. Must be about money.

3 hours ago, Sciatika said:

International football teaches me one thing above all others. You can any number of the best players in a country, but if they only get together to train for a couple of weeks every few months, they will never build up the kinds of relationship that is needed in top-level football. In the end, the international game is, inevitably, second-rate. This is why teams of amateurs from small countries are so frequently able to beat their professional counterparts. Far from being the pinnacle of the game, it is a poor second to the club game. I always feel sorry for supporters of the lower league clubs who follow England because it is probably the best they ever get to support. What this all teaches me is that football is not about individuals but about the relationships that develop in the team. So, having learnt that, why they have to persist in repeating the lesson every three months is beyond me. Must be about money.

What else? 💰💁🏿‍♂️

18 hours ago, Northern Lights said:

Yes. You know Mr Tucker, there are many things in the world that are wrong but aren’t obscene. But these greedy leeches - already wealthy - acting as they do to get even more money is imo truly obscene. I’ve no problem with people making money but I do have a problem with greed, bribery and ripping people off. 💁🏿‍♂️

Money = Power = More Money.

More goals for Timo and Lukaku, plus a nice assist for Timo as well… imagine if we can get them both firing this season!

Lukaku also misses Belgium’s next game through suspension, so he won’t be playing Wednesday, which is good for us.

5 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Money = Power = More Money.

I think the saying is:

“Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely”

The definitive statement that applies for both UEFA and FIFA

On topic: looking forward to this game, Villa have a realistic chance of top 7 this season and appear to have invested the Grealish gift money well. 

The ‘rail’ seats in my view work well, great leaning spot and a good place to hang the jumper/coat. Stewards didn’t perform the ritual and facile ‘sit-down’ routine at the Palace game. 

Edited by East Lower