• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 3 Aston Villa 0

Kezza   
21 hours ago, Bison said:

Lukaku. 2 shots, 2 goals. That's the kind of game we lose or draw last season.

Mendy! Best keeper in the world. Convince me otherwise, I dare you. 

McGinn is such a good player by the way.

Lukaku. Shoots and score from distance. Who in the team has done that besides Mount.

Mendy. Just wow. Loved it when we discovered a non household name who made himself to be called among the top.

McGinn. Really? Better than Grealish and Barkley?

On 12/09/2021 at 1:16 AM, Leo91 said:

Just been watching the first goal again on repeat. What a ball by Kova. 

Absolutely and still some on here say he isn't good

What impressed me most was TT willingness to recognise and admit quickly to the mistake of starting Saul, who just wasnt prepared for what was coming.

paulw66   
On 11/09/2021 at 4:47 PM, JaneB said:

Shouldn't we always be playing our best team if possible?

Not serious, right? You want us to play the same XI every game? Run our best players into the ground, then the others, when needed will be so rusty, having not played for months?

We're going to play 60 odd games this season. We need to rotate. We have two days rest until the next game too. 

On 11/09/2021 at 5:12 PM, didierforever said:

Given the circumstances, this might be our best team. 

Jorgi started all the games for italy, ac for denmark.

Look at the players selected, some of who weren't necessarily expected to.......Chalobah, Silva, Alonso, CHO, Saul, Ziyech........none of whom played a single international minute, whilst Mount, Werner, Azpi, Jorginho, AC etc have just come off the back of 3 international games. There was complete logic to the changes, even if most of the rare starters did nothing to enhance their case(s)

On 11/09/2021 at 5:13 PM, Worsebytheday said:

Yes we should and this is not it 

6 changes from last game, seems he's trying to keep everyone happy, dangerous game

6 was maybe a couple too many, but the logic was sound. Amazed Saul started this one though and not Tuesday

On 11/09/2021 at 5:23 PM, didierforever said:

True. What is it with "this bloke" who won us the CL.

Quite.

On 11/09/2021 at 5:29 PM, Droy was my hero said:

I suppose Jorginho (240 mins) Azpi(210) and Christensen(270) all played a lot of mins over the internationals.  Funny how once you win the CL as captain Spain come calling for all the games against minnows.
But I'm still surprised that all were rested, I would have thought there would be plenty of opportunity to rest some in the CL group.

I guess there is a longer rest between Zenit and Spurs (Tuesday to Sunday) so the main starters can play both those games. Saturday and Tuesday after an international break might have been a tall order.

On 11/09/2021 at 5:55 PM, My Blood Is Blue said:

That’ll be the 2 changes made to the back 3, unfortunately.

It wasn't the defenders who were the problem, it was the players in front of them. It has only taken just over 3 years, but some people are only just starting to see what Jorginho brings. 

On 11/09/2021 at 6:04 PM, My Blood Is Blue said:

We have no midfield, so much space in front of the back 3. 

Tuchel needs to change something at HT if not before 

This. 

On 11/09/2021 at 7:10 PM, Ham said:

CHO is contributing absolutely nothing these days.  

he never has, other than cup games against poor sides. only 22 PL starts from 100 games tells a story, and whenever he gets a chance, he doesn't take it. Azpi did more at RWB in 20 minutes than CHO delivered all game.

On 11/09/2021 at 7:24 PM, Ham said:

Just a shame Lukaku scored those two goals in Ronaldo week.

Mad, isn't it? Still, means we are flying nicely under the radar, whilst the media have a hard on for CR7's two goals from 2 GK errors. 

On 11/09/2021 at 7:58 PM, thevelourfog said:

Hudson-Odoi looks less and less like a Chelsea player whenever he plays. I really hope there wasn't any genuine board pressure to play him under Sarri, because if there was and it stopped him going on loan, it ended his hopes of a top-level career.

He absolutely needs / needed a loan, where he will play a run of games. He wont get that here because whenever he gets a chance in the first team, he makes the manager's decision a very easy one whether he should start the next one. 

On 11/09/2021 at 8:32 PM, Martin1905 said:

Not at all mate, maybe only seeing them live I didn't get the best view but thought they all looked very simple, easy saves.

Made a lot of saves that he should have made. Not a criticism, just an observation. Thought the one from Watkins low down was a good save, but if it goes in, you would say he was beaten at the near post. The double save......the first shot was absolutely one he should save, then he did very well to recover his position for the 2nd one. What he isn't doing is making any mistakes, which is often the sign of a top keeper. 

On 11/09/2021 at 9:23 PM, Droy was my hero said:

I think they are very different.  Support for CHO was always on the basis of a few appearances for the first team..It was very strong, but not based on a lot of minutes.   Support for Christensen was always much smaller, and where it existed it came from watching him a lot at youth level (not many fans do that) or being aware of his progress in Germany.

CHO made people smile in Chelsea cameos, Christensen did the hard work of 2 full loan seasons.
CHO flattered and failed to prove himself.  Christensen left many with doubts and then went on to prove himself.
And critically many many teenage wunderkind wingers never get any better or peak at 23.  Whereas all CBs continue to improve till they are about 30 (though often from a lower floor).

What is certainly true is that he may continue to improve.  

It is 22 PL starts.  Sarri 4.  9 with Lampard, 9 with TT.
Hard to say any manager really has got behind him.

The other big difference is a winger peaks a lot younger than a CB. 

CB is often about positioning, and decision making, which improve with age. The fact that AC was in the team so young, and previously a regular in the bundesliga, indicates just how good he is. 

A pacey 20 year old winger should be roasting his full back, with the improvement to come in end product.......at the moment he does nothing. 

20 hours ago, Northern Lights said:

Mendy’s double save alone was world class. Absolutely world class. 🙌🏿🔥

First shot was a routine save. 

Overall, I think the 6 changes proved to be very risky, and we were lucky* to come away with a 3-0 win. Those that came in did nothing to convince TT or anyone else that they deserve to be starting. Two clear misses in the team were Jorginho and Mount who make such a difference on and off the ball. In a funny way, was a perfect scenario what happened with Saul. Had a massive wake up call, but we got away with it. Steep learning curve ahead for him. 

* I am certain if Villa had equalised, we would have seen Mount join Jorginho on the field in the 2nd half, so perhaps it would have gone differently. The early goal in the second half allowed Mount to have a full rest, which is great, and a rare treat. 

Why is Mendy getting stick?

He can only stop what he is asked to stop, it seems some here want him to make each save look difficult.

He is the reason we are keeping clean sheets, he gave the defence confidence as they now believe in each other. 

56 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

First shot was a routine save. 

Less than routine - he should be pushing that back somewhere less dangerous.  A couple of saves were good, it was a good game for Mendy and a great year.

27 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

Why is Mendy getting stick?

He isn't.   He was getting OTT praise for a double save which was a pretty simple single save.  The criticism is at the excessive praise (at the posters if you want to think of it like that), not at the keeper.

7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

From who?

Actually I had the general idea there was a consensus but having gone back as far as I have the energy it seems to DWMH downplaying his contribution raising comments rather than anything else. I take it back as Droy will always be Droy

• Like 1

paulw66   
On 11/09/2021 at 7:50 AM, Bison said:

45 games of minimum 7/10 performances, and a lot of 8s/9s in some of the club's biggest ever games. MOTM awards in both semi final games and the final itself.

Pulisic (in however many games he has been able to muster) regularly performs badly and is one of the worst players in the team. He has 3-5 good games a season.

What Pulisic has got to do with my comments on Kante, God only knows. 

On NG, since the start of 2019/20, he has started 56 out of 101 combined PL and CL games, roughly 55%, and at aged 30, his fitness is unlikely to improve. 

All I am saying is that he will need to be managed. He's a brilliant player, but he's no good if out injured. Save him for the toughest games, like Sunday and the following Saturday. In October we play Southampton, Brentford, Norwich and Newcastle........plenty of opportunity for some rest days. 

34 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

I take it back as Droy will always be Droy

And some people will always accuse him of saying the opposite to what he has said.