• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 3 Aston Villa 0

4 hours ago, chara said:

one of the most annoying things I read is "shot straight at the keeper"....

A slight tangent, but I totally hate it when commentators say, after a penalty, "he sent the keeper the wrong way". The keeper has 3 choices at a penalty; stay in the middle, dive left, dive right. He picks one option. It is right or wrong. No-one has sent anybody "the wrong way". I digress.

chara   
2 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

A slight tangent, but I totally hate it when commentators say, after a penalty, "he sent the keeper the wrong way". The keeper has 3 choices at a penalty; stay in the middle, dive left, dive right. He picks one option. It is right or wrong. No-one has sent anybody "the wrong way". I digress.

Yep...the keeper has already decided which way he is going based on a lot of very rapidly processed thoughts and pre game study...win some lose some!...a like observation is a great, usually long ball to a player , well read by an opposition player who intercepts the pass and the commentator says something like "easily cut out by...."

1 hour ago, chara said:

An apology...reflecting on my last post off line I realised that it comes over in an arrogant way,certainly in part, which was far from my intention.

Absolutely didn't and no apology needed! 

chara   

Thank you Ham and TVF....true Chelsea Gentlemen...

• Like 1

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2021/09/13/club-statement

We are aware of a video circulating on social media showing an individual using abusive language of a sectarian nature in the crowd at Stamford Bridge on Saturday.

Chelsea Football Club finds all forms of discriminatory behaviour totally unacceptable and we condemn the language used.

The Club is working to identify the person involved and will take the strongest possible action against them. Any supporter who was present in that area of the ground and has information that can assist the Club’s investigation should contact the Club via our discrimination reporting line 0207 3863355.

Aston Villa are grateful to our friends at Chelsea FC for their swift and decisive action in both condemning the bigotry aimed at John McGinn at Stamford Bridge and in launching an investigation to identify the culprit.

Aston Villa will fully support that investigation. Both Clubs have zero tolerance for the scourge of discrimination in any form when it occurs in our stadia.

Good by our club.  And excellent that Villa are acknowledging that Chelsea take these things seriously.

• Like 1

Blue Rod   
On 11/09/2021 at 7:50 AM, Bison said:

45 games of minimum 7/10 performances, and a lot of 8s/9s in some of the club's biggest ever games. MOTM awards in both semi final games and the final itself.

Pulisic (in however many games he has been able to muster) regularly performs badly and is one of the worst players in the team. He has 3-5 good games a season.

Some players can never do enough, others don't need to do very much, if anything at all.

Never mind Pulisic, Havertz has played less than 5 remarkable games in a Chelsea shirt. On Saturday, he was twice worse than CHO. 

Some are suggesting CHO should be roasting defenders. Question is, like which Chelsea forward; Pulisic, Havertz, Ziyech, or Mount? I have no idea.

Ham   
2 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

Some players can never do enough, others don't need to do very much, if anything at all.

Never mind Pulisic, Havertz has played less than 5 remarkable games in a Chelsea shirt. On Saturday, he was twice worse than CHO. 

Some are suggesting CHO should be roasting defenders. Question is, like which Chelsea forward; Pulisic, Havertz, Ziyech, or Mount? I have no idea.

CHO and Pulisic are the two who have built a reputation from a young age for going past players but recently they've both stopped doing that.  The rest never really had that in their repertoire. 

15 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Bring back Kepa!

I think people often mistake critique of opinions of players as critique of the player. I've not read a single criticism of Mendy in this thread, and I think it tells you a lot about how some forum users view others that anyone has suggested there is any of it to read. Too much of how players are spoken and thought about comes down to what people want to be able to say about that player. When Kepa conceded at the near post, it was written about as rank incompetence. So when Mendy saves at the near post ... Good on him, but are we not okay to say that he was doing what was expected of him? Because wasn't that the issue with the guy he replaced?

Mendy is clearly a good goalkeeper. I just don't think we need to make stuff about him to prove that. What he is doing is proof enough.

I think you are quite right here.

Mendy does exactly what you expect a keeper at our level to do and sometimes he does slightly more. That's exactly what we lacked with Kepa, who more often than not did not make the saves he should and over time that inability snowballed and became a major issue in termsa of trust and stability for our whole defense. 

As long as Mendy continues in this vein, I have a hard time seeing him being replaced by anyone. 

12 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Good by our club.  And excellent that Villa are acknowledging that Chelsea take these things seriously.

Indeed. Compare that to the empty words of Liverpool. It really is night and day and apparently we are the ones lacking class. 

Blue Rod   
2 hours ago, Ham said:

CHO and Pulisic are the two who have built a reputation from a young age for going past players but recently they've both stopped doing that.  The rest never really had that in their repertoire. 

That is precisely my point. The way players perform (from keeper to striker) is influenced  by the system and set up of the manager. It's not that Pulisic and CHO suddenly decided to stop roasting defenders, any more than  Mbappe did under Tuchel in those CL matches I watched him play. 

We don't have enough pace and movement upfront to allow a winger to fly past a defender, unless you're happy to give the ball away. 

Playing as a wingback almost completely takes away the main weapon of a winger. You cannot stay upfield and receive that early ball that sets you one v one against a defender, because you are always deep at the start of a transition. By the time you get to the ball, the opposition is set up nice and compact. The most you can do is keep the ball or cross. We saw that again and again on Saturday. 

Edited by Blue Rod

Ham   
1 hour ago, Blue Rod said:

That is precisely my point. The way players perform (from keeper to striker) is influenced  by the system and set up of the manager. It's not that Pulisic and CHO suddenly decided to stop roasting defenders, any more than  Mbappe did under Tuchel in those CL matches I watched him play. 

We don't have enough pace and movement upfront to allow a winger to fly past a defender, unless you're happy to give the ball away. 

Playing as a wingback almost completely takes away the main weapon of a winger. You cannot stay upfield and receive that early ball that sets you one v one against a defender, because you are always deep at the start of a transition. By the time you get to the ball, the opposition is set up nice and compact. The most you can do is keep the ball or cross. We saw that again and again on Saturday. 

I didn't mean that they'd stopped trying to take defenders on. Both have been trying and failing recently. 

It's like they've lost belief after their injuries.