• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 1 Zenit St Petersburg 0

Floyd25   
3 minutes ago, MikelBlue said:

Hopefully we're not forming the bad habit of overly relying on the big fella to pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat. last 2 games, max points in spite of subpar performances. We really need to increase the sharpness of our passing in the last third.

Yea agreed we need more from Havertz and Mount at the moment, early days so hopefully they start to chip in a lot more. 

32 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I thought there was a lot of good things in that match, just little magic - just enough for 1 goal.

We were solid, we had 66% possession and a lot of their possession was trying to get it out of their own penalty box.
We got the goal on 69 mins - it is nice if you get it H1, but 69 mins is not desperately late.  Good goal, in club tradition from Azpi.
We created crossing and shooting opportunities, if not great shots or crosses.  The back 3 looked monster.
And there was even tactics in our corners - where the keeper was put under pressure every time.  (And Mount has been dropped from corner taking duties, not sure why - perhaps because they worked on them over the international break).

And RLC became an AM option (where he might get some action in hte 5-sub CL).

Reminded me of the crosses Azpilicuetta used to supply Morata. Talking of whom... won a penalty and scored another in Juve's 3-0 win against Malmo. Guess who we play next? Lukaku versus Chiellini and Bonucci should be tasty!

36 minutes ago, didierforever said:

Definitely not in the 4th/5th gear yet. But come on guys, it's been a stop start season so far. A LOT of the starters came late, had no pre-season, and then there was the international break. So we need to take all of that into account 

We are unbeaten. Have had some great results. Lukaku is on fire and playing some great football and carrying us to the Ws. With time there will be better chemistry. 

Come on chels 

Absolutely.

24 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Lukaku versus Chiellini and Bonucci should be tasty!

Anyone worried about Morata vs Rudiger Silva and Azpi?

Generally this team is very like the Conte team, especially now we have our new big guy.  (Well one was monster in spirit, this one is monster in size).
17/18 saw a lot of teams that founds ways to neutralise the tactical 5 man attack.  And without Costa we struggled in more even games.
Nice this season to be going from 3 10s to a guy who already has 4 goals in 4

1 hour ago, Ham said:

I don't think Mount is guaranteed a start in the next game or two. Needs to up his game again. 

Yes, and yes.

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Same with Ziyech.  

And again.

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Kai and Werner alongside Lukaku is worth a look. 

Yep.

1 hour ago, Ham said:

A win's a win though. 

And at the end of the day..........

Did well to dig a win out of that. Not at our best. Lots of misplaced passes, poor crosses, lack of precision. James was unconvincing. Mount and Ziyech were wasteful. Two best players were Kovacic and Lukaku. Early days, but we’re racking up wins and Lukaku is a star. Just need everyone else to step up. 

Leo91   

I was kinda disappointing with Lukaku today. 9 times out of 10 he had his back to goal when receiving the ball, there was no movement off the shoulder of the defender. It was all very safe, which would be fine if we could link up with him but the move fell apart each and every time trying to lay off Mount, Ziyech or whoever was in and around him. Then once space finally opened up and he found himself running towards goal, happened twice from memory, the pass never reached him.

Once Kai came on, he started to make runs beyond the defence and we improved.

A wins a win, yes… but, we do need to improve. That’s 2 games in a row where the performance hasn’t quite been there.

Last night was tricky, a European night against an organised side who sat deep and only ever wanted a draw, but still, we made it easier for them than we should with some really poor passing in the final 3rd, which has been our issue for the last 2 years or so.

Happy with the result, but need to sharpen up a bit IMO. I expect a much better performance against Spurs.

Ham   

"Anthony Taylor not fit to referee shocker"

Blue Rod   

Let's start with the beautiful. I enjoy watching our defence perform. The mix of personalities and skillets, how they anticipate and cover for each other, how they mix it up - technics, power and pace. If rumours that we are planning to replace Rudi with Kounde holds any substance, then one could see where it may start to unravel for TT. Kounde may be good, but Rudiger brings qualities and methods that not many defenders have

Now the worrying. This performance was worse than the against Villa. What worries me is that after minutes of trying to suffocate the opponent without creating much, they swiftly break through our midfield, suddenly it's panic station, and we are saved by  our solid defence. It was the same against Villa. 

I dont want to sound too critical, but it does seem that TT's hyperscrutiny may be creating a certain nervousness amongst some players. The kind of misplaced passes we saw in this match is typical of nervous players rather than lack of techniques. Wearing your heart on your sleeves as a manager can have unforseen consequences.

It goes in football that if you are afraid to make mistakes with your passes, that is when you make a lot of mistakes. And I wonder who was spoiling our creative plan last night, seeing that neither CHO nor Kante featured. 

Now the slightly puzzling. For a bit, I did wonder whether we were reincarnating Sarriball but with a proper target man. The long ping-about without creating a shot on target, the opponent breaking through our midfield and causing panic .., all looked familiar. As for the target man, I can humbly say, Lukaku is making me eat my words. 

The one that made me chuckle. United losing to Young Boys and having a man sent off. I always pray for OGS and Arteta to win matches so that their boards can continue in their delusion that these guys will become top mangers if they persevere a few more years and sign a few stars.