• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 1 Zenit St Petersburg 0

17 minutes ago, Ham said:

"Anthony Taylor not fit to referee shocker"

A proper whopper

Bison   
1 hour ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

A wins a win, yes… but, we do need to improve. That’s 2 games in a row where the performance hasn’t quite been there.

Last night was tricky, a European night against an organised side who sat deep and only ever wanted a draw, but still, we made it easier for them than we should with some really poor passing in the final 3rd, which has been our issue for the last 2 years or so.

Happy with the result, but need to sharpen up a bit IMO. I expect a much better performance against Spurs.

Mount and Ziyech could have played for 5 hours last night and neither one would have created anything for themselves or their striker. Havertz and Ziyech against Villa was just as bad.

Still early days but concerned nonetheless, particularly with Havertz and what he offers in general play. 

It's still early days , so no real need to panic but if I were Mount and James I would be having a strong word with myself , neither have been as good as they should or could be for a while .

The workrate is there but  the final ball is often terrible and Tommy will have no compunction in rotating them out of the side if it doesn't improve , it really wouldn't surprise me if we didn't get a new right back in January.

However I think their shortcomings are largely attributed to their age so we can cut them both some slack , young players are often inconsistent . 

7 hours ago, Leo91 said:

I was kinda disappointing with Lukaku today. 9 times out of 10 he had his back to goal when receiving the ball, there was no movement off the shoulder of the defender. It was all very safe, which would be fine if we could link up with him but the move fell apart each and every time trying to lay off Mount, Ziyech or whoever was in and around him. Then once space finally opened up and he found himself running towards goal, happened twice from memory, the pass never reached him.

Once Kai came on, he started to make runs beyond the defence and we improved.

I would argue you've answered your own criticism in this post already. Zenit sat very deep with a lot of men behind the ball - what space did Rom have to run in to? As you say, once the game opened up he attacked the spaces and channels more but before that it's on Ziyech and Mount to get around him and make things happen when he has the ball at his feet and is occcupying defenders surely?

Holymoly   
10 hours ago, Northern Lights said:

True but you can tell we are over-reliant on him. We desperately need other players to chip in, Mr Moly. 👀🙌🏿

Absolutely. The one thing that bothers me this season is the play of Mason Mount and whichever player plays on the other side of Lukaku. We were banging on last season about how many goals we were going to score playing the way we were but with a bona fide striker to turn in the chances. Well this season we now have the striker however the other attackers just aren't playing the same way. No one else seems to be providing any sort of goal threat. We won't be able to depend on Lukaku to score every single goal this season. 

As far as last night was concerned I'd also add the Reece James was disappointing for me. Where are the drives to the byline coupled with the killer crosses? Azpilicueta is still sending in the same deep crosses that Morata used to feed off and Alonso is still getting into the box so it doesn't look like a managerial decision to change. I think maybe a couple of the players need to miss out a few of games to get their heads together.

Midfield needs a look at too. Without Kante it is all too easy for the opposition to swamp the middle of the pitch and stymie our players. Perhaps an alternative formation needs to be looked at for those times when teams come to stop us playing rather than play themselves.

The media has been quick to laud us, possibly beyond what we have deserved so far this season, which sets us up to be roundly criticised if the Lukaku goals happen to dry up. What we need is a return to the attcking style we saw last year and at that point we will be able to be optimistic. At the moment, we are becoming a one trick pony, and everyone knows the way to combat such a team is to shoot the pony.

• Like 1

Holymoly   
22 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

A proper whopper

Yeah but all those Russian names look alike don't they? Have you never read War and Peace?

Ruudboy   

There is a list of names at the start of Dr Zhivago, but it never really helped.

paulw66   
23 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

Midfield needs a look at too. Without Kante it is all too easy for the opposition to swamp the middle of the pitch and stymie our players. Perhaps an alternative formation needs to be looked at for those times when teams come to stop us playing rather than play themselves.

If there was one criticism of how we played under TT last season, it was against the low block. 

Southampton away and Brighton at home were two that spring to mind. I just wonder in those games if 3 at the back is necessary? If you sacrifice a defender and play a midfield 3, so 433, with the third midfielder player being a Mount/Havertz, then you have one more attacker on the field, and another body Lukaku can lay it off to. 

Sciatika   

I am sure our struggles against a low block are the main factor. But, sometimes, it just seems like we raise or lower our game to meet the opposition and do just enough (or, in the case of last season, not quite enough). Last term, we got 3 points from Man City and Liverpool but only one from West Brom, Villa and Wolves. When we meet Spurs and Man City, I expect to see a much more dominant game from us, but continue to worry about Brentford, Norwich and Newcastle in October.

Edited by Sciatika

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

I am sure our struggles against a low block are the main factor. But, sometimes, it just seems like we raise or lower our game to meet the opposition and do just enough (or, in the case of last season, not quite enough). Last term, we got 3 points from Man City and Liverpool but only one from West Brom, Villa and Wolves. When we meet Spurs and Man City, I expect to see a much more dominant game from us, but continue to worry about Brentford, Norwich and Newcastle in October.

This is exactly how I see it. 

Worried at how the lower and middling PL teams will have a good look at what Zenit did yesterday.