• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 1 Zenit St Petersburg 0

JaneB   
2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

A proper whopper

He forgot he wasn't refereeing a Chelsea match.

JaneB   

As others have said, I'm a bit worried about Mason.  Hope he picks up.

4 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

Let's start with the beautiful. I enjoy watching our defence perform. The mix of personalities and skillets, how they anticipate and cover for each other, how they mix it up - technics, power and pace.

Indeed and once again they were very very good.  With a defence in this form and Jorginho and Kovacic too, I'm not sure we have much to worry about yet.

Should have mentioned the dive at the feet with 10 mins to go by Mendy.  It wasn't a save as the striker pushed it wide, but it was very very brave and may well have put him off or turned into a save if he hadn't missed.   Excellent.

4 hours ago, Ham said:

"Anthony Taylor not fit to referee shocker"

Read that first as ""Anthony Taylor not fit to referee snooker"

Which would have been unfair on a lot of well meaning snooker refs.
A new twist on Graham Poll's 3-card trick.  Perhaps OGS has his private phone number and will call to reassure him what a good ref he is.

Diddymen   
2 hours ago, JaneB said:

I agree, but can also add, Zyech (after a very good pre-season), Havertz (reverting back to the early form from last season), and James. Its still very very early in the season, so I hope they pick up form.

I am slightly bemused at the Werner not playing. I wonder if the talk of him leaving in January is true. Hope not

16 minutes ago, Diddymen said:

I agree, but can also add, Zyech (after a very good pre-season), Havertz (reverting back to the early form from last season), and James. Its still very very early in the season, so I hope they pick up form.

I am slightly bemused at the Werner not playing. I wonder if the talk of him leaving in January is true. Hope not

He’ll be gone in the summer. 🙌🏿🧨

2 hours ago, JaneB said:

Yes. But I think it’s just a dip in form. He’ll smash a goal in and all will be well. 🔥🙌🏿

• Like 1

All this talk about our No 10s - both the ones being picked and the ones not being picked.

Last year under TT mostly Werner or Havertz were playing 9 in a system that had a mobile interchanging front 3 with a lot of interplay.  it suited all our 10s.
Now we have a very different kind of play with a static 9  (about whom I am ecstatic).
All the 10s will find this harder to play with.
If there is a player who might benefit from the CF tieing 2 players down it would be Pulisic who'll be back soon

For the other 8 players on the pitch this makes things a lot easier.  They can always aim a long ball at Lukaku and it is a lot easier to work out where our own players are now.

So we started a season with the back 5 looking great, Jorginho and Kovacic looking great, and the No 9 looking superb.
I'm happy to wait for the 10s to work things out.

48 minutes ago, Diddymen said:

We have money, play in a demanding league and are the CL champions.  I'm sure we'll bring in new AMs in January or Summer.  But Barkley, RLC and CHO will be cast aside before we consider Ziyech or Werner going.

chara   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Should have mentioned the dive at the feet with 10 mins to go by Mendy.  It wasn't a save as the striker pushed it wide, but it was very very brave and may well have put him off or turned into a save if he hadn't missed.   Excellent.

Thank you Droy...the point I was trying to make earlier......"They Shall Not Pass"......not the showboat..in crowd response not the actuality....save but for me the real essence of goalkeeping....where it hurts and no frills......

In a strange way for all the criticsm of Mount his "buzzing" about still kept the oppo defence concentrating on defence.

Reading reports on the BBC/Guardian sites both make the point..something we tend to ignore in viewing "our" performance....of how well organised and solid Zenit were..as someone posted earlier they really came for a draw and maybe a lucky break...nearly got it....for a sneak win.

I suspect, only a thought, that for once the old..."The slate is clean everyone has a chance etc etc" soft soap may actually be true with TT..... in the past most ,if not all, managers have paid lip service to that and in reality sidelined many a player....TT seems to be trying to give everyone a chance to sink or swim.

Question...in the midst of my cliche riddled post....AC and Rudiger both have improved by leaps and bounds.....TT man management?...or in the case of AC is he coming into his true form through experience and self belief finally?

The unfolding season holds so many intriguing questions.....we forget that last season TT took over midseason and a somewhat in disarry squad..for whatever reason...first full season with time to reflect and plan.......... again......a lot to ponder on as we go forward.

55 minutes ago, chara said:

Question...in the midst of my cliche riddled post....AC and Rudiger both have improved by leaps and bounds.....TT man management?...or in the case of AC is he coming into his true form through experience and self belief finally?

I think AC just went from 24 to 25 - at which point he is no longer a youngkid trying to make it as a CB, but a hardened pro.  I doubt that is directly linked to any of his recent managers, though playing alongside Rudiger, Silva and Azpi must help  (he only ever played 12 mins alongside JT).  Watching Zouma, who is just a year older, might have helped most.  Zouma has always been the hardened tough CB, despite having more limited ball skills.  If Christensen was behind Zouma in the pecking order, that was a clear indication of what he needed to do next.

Rudiger has always had this level in him, and only injury has really disrupted that.  I remember Pat nevin pointing out a few years ago that Rudiger is the fastest player in the squad by far.  Werner may have that place now, but Rudiger remains amazingly rapid, which means he achieves things no one is expecting.

1 hour ago, chara said:

Reading reports on the BBC/Guardian sites both make the point..something we tend to ignore in viewing "our" performance....of how well organised and solid Zenit were..as someone posted earlier they really came for a draw and maybe a lucky break...nearly got it....for a sneak win.

Yes - it is a 4 team mini-league, with Zenit expected to be 3rd.  The priority, especially if they play like that, is not to let them score.  Stylistically and talent wise Zenit may have been right to play negatively.  But in terms of who comes 3rd and who comes 2nd, a win for them would have made a huge difference, so we were right to play along and not take risks.
We did up it a bit from 45-70 and that resulted in a goal, but a draw would have been no disaster.

It'll be very different in the 38 game league match at Spurs this weekend.  The incentive to us to risk 1 point to get 3 will be much greater.

Ham   

Obligatory media silence whilst panning across every fan inside Anfield for the entirety of YNWA. 

After they finish, the obligatory "wow" "hair on the back of the net" comments before they find 45 seconds for the adverts. 

Very different treatment for every single other club on the planet. 

I was comparing the three big matches at once on split screen and can confirm the the city and PSG games went to adverts for a good 3 minutes instead.

I don't understand the love for the most murderous group of fans on earth, I really don't.