• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Tottenham Hotspur 0 Chelsea 3

5 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Also agree. 

I think it's more like Lukaku's runs have exposed their weaknesses. For all Werner's failures last season, there were moments when a simple early ball might have released him to a one v one, and that ball wasn't there. We're seeing some of that with Lukaku, except that Lukaku is making it more obvious the way he pulls into position. 

Alonso has been brilliant. What we are seeing is the players with good all-round footballing skills killing it everywhere on the pitch - defenders hitting passes and crosses that would shame midfielders,  and scoring goals for fun while those with limited skills are struggling even in the one thing that they should be doing. I hope our forwards step up. They just looked completely out of their depth in that first half. 

Alas poor old Timo couldn’t finish his dinner. 🤷🏿🧨

46 minutes ago, Northern Lights said:

Hey everyone, I have a question.

You know when Son was clean through? 

Do Spurs win a trophy for that? Just that I want the commemorative DVD. 🙌🏿🧨🤣

The commemorative DVD is a 2 disc special, for being top in August and their first half clean sheet against us :)

Football Tweet ⚽ on Twitter: "Frank Lampard on losing to Tottenham:  http://t.co/qzz6o8KCOz"

Edited by CarefreeMuratcan
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, LeBoeufsGolfBall said:

Strong 2nd half performance where we just completely bossed them. Sometimes its worth thinking objectively and appreciating the players we have and also the job the manager has done to turn them into the impressive outfit we are right now.

Thiago Silva has long been one of my favourite defenders in the last decade in football. Regardless of him being mid thirties, he's up there with JT in the greatest defenders to pull on a Chelsea shirt. 

If I supported another club, I would be so jealous of this Chelsea team. Silva, Kovacic, Kante have long been favourite players of mine, so the have all three playing for the club at the same time is just fantastic. It's impossible for anyone not have the greatest respect for this beast mode version of Rudiger. The presence of Lukaku has just added extra pace, power and a clinical edge to the team. Then you have young homegrown talent sprinkled in there with Mount, James, Christensen (who in a back three is a different player altogether). The leadership and desire of Azpilicueta, a  special teams player in Alonso who I don't think any other club in England has a player that can do what he does in his role. I am a big Chilwell fan, but right now Alonso is on another level for the role he is being asked to fulfill.

Then the calmness and quality of Jorginho pulling the strings in midfield. I had severe doubts any manager could create a genuine title challenging team with Jorginho in England.

The guile and elegance of Havertz who has so much room for improvement over the next 2-3 seasons. A keeper who looks as strong and confident as any other keeper out there right now.

These are pretty special times when you take stock and look at things objectively. Sure, we need to maximise this squads potential with trophies. However, I for one won't be wasting time providing microanalysis of each players performance weekly or comparing them to another player who we haven't got. This just feels like the right team to sit back, appreciate and enjoy what we have got right now.

100% agree.

I fully expect players to have dips in form/off days. Yes it's disappointing that both Mount and Havertz are going through a bad patch, but I fully expect them to come roaring back. Meantime, even with 'only' 9 fully functioning players we're still seeing off teams with relative ease. I'm at the point where the longer the game is at 0-0 the more I expect us to score. There's an inevitability about it.

Let's enjoy this without griping.

2 hours ago, Diddymen said:

I agree with all this, but especially on Havertz. Maybe he needs a run of games, as with all our front line. I thought he would kick on from the end of last season as he was picking up some form.

For all our excellence in defence and midfield, its our forward line that just seem to struggle a bit. Early days of course. I just wonder if the Lukaku purchase has set them back a bit - not gelling.

Just to add, the midfield trio in the second half were outstanding, and a big mention to Alonso. I did think it was harsh to bench Chilwell, but the guy is playing out of this skin at the moment. 

(not complaining if we win all our matches 3-0 though :) )

As Droy has pointed out in posts elsewhere, last season we essentially had three 10s playing fluidly across the line, creating chances (but sadly not finishing them). Now we have two 10s and a genuine number 9 who can finish. It'll take a little while yet for some to adjust to new roles. We're only 5 league games into the season!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Well said mate, Tuchel has really created a team of the raw material he inherited. 

Well that is one way of putting it.  Another is that Frank made a pig's ear out of 18 or 19 diamond players.  And quite a few were saying this 11 months ago

2 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

Alonso has been brilliant.

One has to ask why he isn't being marked.  Perhaps the 10s are doing more than it appears.

45 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

As Droy has pointed out in posts elsewhere, last season we essentially had three 10s playing fluidly across the line, creating chances (but sadly not finishing them). Now we have two 10s and a genuine number 9 who can finish. It'll take a little while yet for some to adjust to new roles. We're only 5 league games into the season!

Thanks for the name check.  Funny how no one gave me a heart for saying it.
You've added the bit about scoring, and yes I also prefer a scoring 9 and 2 disappointing 10s to 3 good looking non-scoring 10s. 
The other thing seems to be that the WBs are getting even further forward than last year, partly because of space the 10s are creating but not getting credited for.  That also means the 10s are forced a bit deeper.
When Kante came on we went to no 10s and 2 9s, both attacking beyond the offside line.  It worked (possibly because the scoreline invited counter-attack).

3 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

The commemorative DVD is a 2 disc special, for being top in August and their first half clean sheet against us :)

Football Tweet ⚽ on Twitter: "Frank Lampard on losing to Tottenham:  http://t.co/qzz6o8KCOz"

My bro 🤣 love it 🙌🏿🧨

Leo91   

Do people think we could see Kova, Jorgi and Kante on the pitch at the same time ? Completely controlled the midfield from then on. 

Edited by Leo91

38 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

Do people think we could see Kova, Jorgi and Kante on the pitch at the same time ? Completely controlled the midfield from then on. 

Maybe.   I think Spurs went down hill rapidly from about 30 mins.  They gave it their all at first and by the end they gere giving buxxxx all.
We would have dominated the second half with 3-1-6.
But as a system against say Man city or Juve next week it might suit.  Perhaps TT has already been training with it for that reason.
Any two of Werner, Havertz and Lukaku up front.
Saul, Ziyech and Mount could all play CM roles.