• Current Donation Goals

chara

A Driving Force

Recommended Posts

chara   

A couple of postings on the Match forum got me wondering...at the risk of maybe raising a "class" "status" issue...what vehicle [s} do the Chelsea Faithful here drive?...

In addition what was your first vehicle?.....

Bearing in mind where I live I drive a 1500 Ram pickup. 2002.{especially to the hardware Store with obligatory dog...get taken seriously where as in other vehicle liable to get redneck sniffed at!"}

Mrs C drives Ford Explorer 2012....believe me up here two vehicles are not a luxery.....

My first vehicle was an old Austin Somerset 1949...in 1968!...complete with little pop up orange indicators...honest...

Oh..and Mods..if this is a bit too iffy no problem if you delete...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First car as a 17 year old in 1976 was a 1973 VW Beetle 1303S (with the 1600cc engine, curved windscreen and round rear lights)
Currently a BMW 630i  Soon to be sold for an EV but not sure which one. I don't do long journeys any more (no more road trips between London, Paris & Milan these days, for example) so range isn't top of the list. Even nearly 8 years on, I still like the look of the i3 but will probably go for something a bit bigger. Very much tempted by the Kia EV6 or Hyundai Ioniq 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   
24 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

First car as a 17 year old in 1976 was a 1973 VW Beetle 1303S (with the 1600cc engine, curved windscreen and round rear lights)
Currently a BMW 630i  Soon to be sold for an EV but not sure which one. I don't do long journeys any more (no more road trips between London, Paris & Milan these days, for example) so range isn't top of the list. Even nearly 8 years on, I still like the look of the i3 but will probably go for something a bit bigger. Very much tempted by the Kia EV6 or Hyundai Ioniq 5

If you're not doing long journeys anymore consider the BMW 330E petrol hybrid.  I've just got mine and you barely touch the petrol unless you go for a long run. I've done over 700 miles on a £50 tank of petrol and it'd do much more if I didn't still have to do regular trips towards London. 

It's got some poke as well. 292bhp. I've already got more points than Arsenal as a result 🙄

My first car was a Y reg Vauxhall Cavalier hatchback in a hideous light blue followed by a really slow Montego and then a lovely Ford Orion 2.0i Ghia which I loved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chara said:

Oh..and Mods..if this is a bit too iffy no problem if you delete...

We're not going to delete it mate - it's fine. Enjoy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   
2 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

We're not going to delete it mate - it's fine. Enjoy.

Thanks MT...genuinely wasn't sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First car after passing my test was a Ford Escort MK1 in bright yellow with black racing stripes and a tiny racing steering wheel , absolute cash cow , spent more time in the workshop than on the rd , it was awful, first week I had it the headlight fell out and I discovered that it had been wedged in place by a piece of sponge and it cost me a fortune to get everything welded and re-fit and the bloke welding it burned the surrounding paintwork so it bubbled. I'd had it back a week and the radiator went. I hated that car in the end. 

I currently drive ( no sniggering at the back) my second Skoda Yeti which is an absolutely fantastic car , never goes wrong , is just the right size between compact and roomy and I absolutely love it , once this one packs up I intend to go electric as I'm moving house and could do with the savings on fuel costs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ham said:

If you're not doing long journeys anymore consider the BMW 330E petrol hybrid.  I've just got mine and you barely touch the petrol unless you go for a long run. I've done over 700 miles on a £50 tank of petrol and it'd do much more if I didn't still have to do regular trips towards London. 

It's got some poke as well. 292bhp. I've already got more points than Arsenal as a result 🙄

My first car was a Y reg Vauxhall Cavalier hatchback in a hideous light blue followed by a really slow Montego and then a lovely Ford Orion 2.0i Ghia which I loved. 

I once had a Montego estate as a company car. Only beaten by a Triumph Acclaim (also a company car) as the worst car I've ever had.

I thought about hybrids, but have decided to go full EV.

Never had any points in over 40 years of driving 😉 Mind you, I was an ADI with BSM in Kingston for a while in the mid nineties to mid naughties

Edited by Bob Singleton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

First car after passing my test was a Ford Escort MK1 in bright yellow with black racing stripes and a tiny racing steering wheel , absolute cash cow , spent more time in the workshop than on the rd , it was awful, first week I had it the headlight fell out and I discovered that it had been wedged in place by a piece of sponge and it cost me a fortune to get everything welded and re-fit and the bloke welding it burned the surrounding paintwork so it bubbled. I'd had it back a week and the radiator went. I hated that car in the end. 

I currently drive ( no sniggering at the back) my second Skoda Yeti which is an absolutely fantastic car , never goes wrong , is just the right size between compact and roomy and I absolutely love it , once this one packs up I intend to go electric as I'm moving house and could do with the savings on fuel costs. 

Former son in law had a Yeti for a while (he worked for VW head office and got a different car every 4 months or so; sometimes a Polo or Golf, sometimes an A2 or A3, sometimes a small Skoda or SEAT) Great little car that's not so little on the inside.

School friend had a Mk1 too. Like yours, it spent more time on ramps in his parent's driveway with him underneath it than with him behind the wheel on the road!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ruudboy   

After use of GF’s Austin 1300 (which I could disassemble and reassemble in my sleep, and sometimes did), had my own VW Golf GTi Mk.ll. Lovely car, even though it attracted badge thieves. After years of child carriers (SAAB 9000, Volvo v70 …), now have a Mercedes SL400, which is great - but unlike Bob, thanks to marginal speeding infringements have a standing order for 3pts every 20 years - dunno how I do it. Waiting until hydrogen network is in place before replacing - so may be too old for anything bar a invalid carriage by then. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   

Ahh...the joys of little money and self help repairs!.....never a great mechanic but could do the usual stuff including clutch plates etc....BUT now I can just about check oil etc and because of tight engine area etc had to have plugs changes at the Auto Shop.....sigh...the rest of it in there is a mystery!

EV's..... took my sister on a "tourist" trip out East on the Plains to visit two old battle sites...(check out Fort Wicked and Summit Springs...the movies ultimately do not lie!}...a 400 mile round trip day....the Plains are The Plains and no easy access to charge points....200 mile EV max?..... just a difference in travel perspective...my sister drove from Glasgow to Somerset to meet Mrs C for a trip to the WW1 sites....about the same day trip miles but stopped overnight halfway down!

Points...hmm...my previous Good Ole Boy truck was a Ford F250.....chundered on forever but a regular early morning target down to town for the local Sheriff's Deputies...old truck = GOB = Worth a shot.......no tickets but annoying!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now