• Current Donation Goals

JaneB

Chelsea 1 Aston Villa 1 (4 - 3 on penalties)

paulw66   
3 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Wow. I don't know why but I often think shorter goalies are better penalty savers 

Ham   
19 minutes ago, Ruudboy said:

Maybe because they have less distance to travel before they hit the ground?

Good logic 👍

9 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I don't think they need it.  Every manager we have had has tried to push RLC into a further forward position.  As they did at Palace and Fulham.  As did JM and Hiddink.  I am on quite conventional ground here and the only real disagreement is whether he had a bad game yesterday relative to the opportunity or a good one.

Only TT has tried him deeper than 8.  And he has only had him a month - he'll soon learn.
The question is not about the managers, but why does the player, and some who remember him standing out at CM in the youth ranks, still think he can do it there.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2016/07/20/conte-post-wac-rz-pellets

I'd like to be non-orthodox, yet I find being orthodox generates bigger reactions on here.

I think the difference is how a TT no.10 is set up vs how a conventional no.10 is set up in lets say a 4-2-3-1.

The good (hard) work done by a TT no.10 has a lot to do with their running a channel and taking defenders away from the actual threats from our very wide WBs. Thats the reason we dont see ziyech doing well in this system, as he needs to be on the ball to do something good, which is also how RLC operates.

Hence, why it makes more sense to have him deeper in the TT formation, where he can drive into the space, like Kovacic, and create something rather than his movement creating spaces for others. 

Given how well TT has done with literally every player on our books so far, I would be inclined to except his judgement of RLC. 

5 hours ago, didierforever said:

Hence, why it makes more sense to have him deeper in the TT formation, where he can drive into the space, like Kovacic, and create something rather than his movement creating spaces for others. 

Well quite.  RLC was very very like Kovacic, dribbling into the same spaces and creating the same kind of chances.  But for me it was like the Kovacic of last year, not this year.
It looks good on the eye, but doesn't convert into chances.
And then the question will be if he can look as good as Kovacic when we don't have the 68% possession we had on Wednesday.

8 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

And then the question will be if he can look as good as Kovacic when we don't have the 68% possession we had on Wednesday.

Hard to say either way, but you can argue both ways. 

When you have 68% possession, you tend to be playing against low blocks and set defences. Lesser space between the opposition midfield line and defensive line and hence lesser space to break from the mid.

Also, I thought RLC was quite good.