• Current Donation Goals

Diddymen   

We need to start playing Lukaku alot more from midfield, otherwise, what was the point in spending over £90 m for a striker.

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Well , we know this is a fishing expedition so we can laud Jorginho and you can give yourself a customary back slap in self congratulation , but the issue was with all three of them and Werner and to a degree Lukaku too.

But the real issue is with they way they are being utilised in an attacking sense . Kovacic , earlier in the season was getting forward and scoring and assisting , that has been curtailed for some reason , RLC was played at the base of the midfield for god knows what reason and first half especially made the best of it by sallying forward where possible but he was really too far back in my opinion  and Kante was played as a ball winning number 10 with presumably the idea that it's better to win the ball back ten yards in front of their box than ten yards in front of ours.

I like Jorginho myself so , you're preaching to the choir but he's not exactly a Fabregas assist machine is he? 

I'm guessing that Tuchel wanting to press high results in Kanté - who can press and win the ball - playing high up, and Loftus-Cheek - who, for all his many attributes, I'm not sure knows what pressing is - playing deeper. As I said, just a guess.

19 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Great day out at the new Brentford stadium. First time I've ever seen us pay them so loved it.

What was the atmosphere like from our supporters?

paulw66   
20 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Great day out at the new Brentford stadium. First time I've ever seen us pay them so loved it.

Must be one of the few that takes a lot of positives from that game, average performance but a very good result.

Just to let people know, as I'm sure some are not aware with all the moaning. After an incredibly difficult start to the season we are actually, believe it or not, top of the league with a very kind run of fixtures coming up.

Yes, all round. so often the voice of reason.

19 points from those 8 games is bloody brilliant. Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs and Brentford* away all ticked off. 

* a Brentford team who like the new Stoke, who have already taken points off Liverpool and Arsenal, and no doubt will take more points off our competitors before the season ends. 

20 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Of course, everyone is happy with our league position, but its stupid not to look at the quality of performances and the glaring problems of too many players - Mount, Lukaku, Werner, CHO, Kovacic, Havertz - under performing and thats underlined by our two left backs being our most dangerous players. We are getting the rub of the green bigtime this season with very flattering results against Villa, Southampton and Brentford. We could very easily be 5 or 6 points worse off without the luck we are having.

Villa we were a touch fortunate with their finishing. Southampton we deservedly won, and would have been 2-0 but for the crooked officials. Yesterday, yes we rode our luck, but Christ, when I saw the teamsheet, a back 3 of Chalobah, Sarr and AC against their physical threat.......brilliant effort. Overall, we could dropped points in either the Villa or Brentford games, but we could have won at Anfield. I don't think we have many more points than we deserve.

20 hours ago, Holymoly said:

First off Lukaku. Yes you can simplify things and compare his with the sort of performance you could have expected from Tammy without having to have spent £97m but that's only part of the story. Like it or not his hold up play is streets ahead. Personally I only ever considered him the quinessential flat track bully but technically then Brentford really should have been one of those sides he performed against. Maybe we need to start downgrading our expectations still further to games against the bottom three?

Feeding off scraps. Saturday we played with a back 3 (or 5) and 3 deep midfielders. I am not sure how Werner and Lukaku were supposed to do much damage aside from a superb solo goal. 

17 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

The kinder the fixture the more problem we seem to have. I’m not sure weaker opposition is something that plays out well for us. Seems to be the games where we struggle the most based on last season at least. 

Probably because the opposition is happy to sit back and close down space. Once that happens out attacking combinations simply aren’t good enough. I also worry a lot for Lukaku. So far he hasn’t been able to impose himself bar maybe 2-3 games. Arsenal very good, Villa good. Is there another game where he’s even been half decent? Yesterday he was downright awful. 

As above..... we need to be more offensive in the games against weaker teams. 

17 hours ago, Bison said:

But not for the reason you mentioned. This isn't a Kante, Kovacic or Jorginho problem. 

Take Liverpool for example. They have Mane and Salah who have both scored 100+ Premier League goals. Firminho doesn't score as many as them but still has a whopping 70 goals & 43 assists in the league. I don't see Liverpool fans complaining too often about the lack of goals  they get from their central midfielders.

We have a collection of forwards who don't score or create enough goals. That's the truth. People can moan about the CM as much as they want but our problems are because of the lack of goalscoring and creative ability in the forward line. Of course we don't have the same flair or goal threat as those two teams...not a single one of our attackers make their starting 11.

Quite. In the last 3 seasons, how many goals have Keita, Henderson, Fabinho etc got between them? We need more output from the offensive players. Having at least one more on the field would be a start

10 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

We still haven't played anyone in the bottom 5 yet.

Yup........3 more winnable league games in a row*, with 2 winnable CL games in the mix. Couldn't give a toss about the LC game, bar giving some minutes to those who need them

*then Leicester away, United at home with Juve at home in the middle. 

Edited by paulw66

6 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

What was the atmosphere like from our supporters?

Brilliant as usual, we have the best away support in the world.

5 hours ago, paulw66 said:

As above..... we need to be more offensive in the games against weaker teams. 

Quite. In the last 3 seasons, how many goals have Keita, Henderson, Fabinho etc got between them? We need more output from the offensive players. Having at least one more on the field would be a start

I was ultra critical of Conte when he played with 9 defensive players and Tucehl will have to change or he will come under increasing pressure from some, including myself and I'm a huge fan.

He gets a bit of leeway at the moment as I think his hands are tied a bit with so many out of form attackers and he has at least taken the game to the opposition most of the time, whereas Conte used to stick 10 men behind the ball and spent two years buying defenders.

8 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

I was ultra critical of Conte when he played with 9 defensive players and Tucehl will have to change or he will come under increasing pressure from some, including myself and I'm a huge fan.

He gets a bit of leeway at the moment as I think his hands are tied a bit with so many out of form attackers and he has at least taken the game to the opposition most of the time, whereas Conte used to stick 10 men behind the ball and spent two years buying defenders.

Well seeing as how much we've recently wasted on midfielders and attackers you could argue he had the right idea !

1 minute ago, Martin1905 said:

Yes.  There are two ways to win the league.  The Conte way which is to concede nothing, and convert consistent slight dominance into wins mostly while accepting the odd draw.
The Mourinho way was mostly the same but carrying a Big Stick in reserve where the team would stick Essien at RB and go bezerk for the last 10 mins  (but highly trained and rehearsed bezerk).  I forgave Mourinho any amount of boring games for a handful of those bezerk moments.

Then there is the Klopp / Pep / Ancelotti method which is to go out and try to get 3 goals to be sure of winning.  It still comes unstuck occasionally, but it often works.  
I think only a Klopp/Pep method can win a PL which goes to a 90+ point finish.
To be fair there has only been one season where 2 teams reached 90 points.  Right now we are on course for 90 points and Liverpool for 85.  But we have each played 2 out of 8 games against the top 3, we should all improve over the rest of the first half of season.

TT last season rightly went with the Conte approach - after all the goal was 4th place, not 1st, and winning CL ties over 180m favours a cautious approach.

But I agree a more aggressive approach is needed this year.  Especially since it is a 3 horse race against 2 big hitters, and there are a lot of apparently weak teams in the Prem this year that need knocking over rather than giving them chances of 0-0 draws.

2 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Well seeing as how much we've recently wasted on midfielders and attackers you could argue he had the right idea !

2 months ago I would have laughed at that.  1 month ago even.  All our purchases looked great.  There is only 2 games that have put doubts in our mind - Juve and Brentford.  

I think it might look very different in 2 weeks time.