• Current Donation Goals

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mark Fryer

Gronk

I know these players have all gone now, but the official site is currently running a poll as to who we will miss most next season from JFH, the Gronk, Marcel, Petit and Melchiot.

30% of people have voted for the Gronk. WHY WHY WHY? I know this shouldn´t bother me anymore because he´s gone, but he was the most frustrating player I´ve ever seen. By no means the worst, but for someone to be that wasteful so often is a crime. He is leading Marcel. I know Marcel didn´t have the best of seasons, but he was club captain for years, and JT and others have clearly learnt alot from one of the worlds best defenders in the last 10 years. And Jesper will be more missed? Did that 30% see a different player to me?

I suppose the point I´m trying to make is that I don´t understand how 2 people can see the same player and have such contrasting views.

I´ll let this drop for evermore, but for 4 years I´ve been telling anyone who´ll listen that Jesper is garbage, someone keep me sane by agreeing with me, or am I really the only one who saw him cross it to the fella at the back of the Matthew Harding lower tier for the last few years?

Atr   

It depends on the definition of "miss", and I'm guessing that there are some people voting because they think that we won't have a right winger for this season.

Personally I think Gronkjaer was above average, though he could be quite inconsistent. We might complain about his poor crossing after getting into promising positions, but if we applied the same standards to Joe Cole, he'd be written off too because of his terrible shooting.

I take it you didn't vote for Jesper on the official site then Mark ;)

Harvz   

Jesper gave me my fair share of grief. I watched, I swore, I threw things at the TV and I vowed that if he was ever played again I'd ring in asking for his neck.

But then for some strange reason, then I looked at that list... I gave him my vote.

I know he's crap (on his day), I know he couldn't a running man with a truck, let alone a ball, but I still miss him more than the rest!

I was dead consious of the irony of my choice, but... yeah.

Weird.

Sachin   

I wouldnt disagree with you on the fact that Marcel Desailly has given a lot to this club and is an outstanding player and one of the best players of his era .

But then often the wingers add more excitement to the game (even though they may not be as important as the defenders).

With Gronks, he added some pace and perhaps also the very fact the he was always inconsistent made him interesting to watch. On some days he was the most frustating player to watch.

But probably all of his inconsistencies are the main reason why he will be missed the most and not because he was the best of the lot to leave.

Maybe they missed him for other reasons, such as the entertainment before the game he provided in the MH Stand. Almost every shot at goal he blazed over during the warm up and it was just funny to watch. He had a rapport with the fans because he really tried hard, such as towards the end of the season in the warm up, he would get a ball boy to stand on the edge of the six yard box and run and put crosses in.

He finished last season very strongly with his run of goals, so that may be what is on everybody's minds.

ken day   

I have said before Gronk could beat any player on the wing but he was the worse crosser I have ever seen. How people can say they will miss him more than The Rock is crazy. Marcel has taught JT how to become one of the best c/b in Europe. JT would not be the player he is if not for MD. Gronk will not be missed. Our fowards may get some service now.

COME ON YOU BLUES

Regardless of how much 'entertainment' Gronks would provide to watch, the fact the forward line would stop running into the box or show their frustration every time a cross missed them is more than enough for most people to know that he wasn't really good enough.

JFH to my mind has not been the same since the whole Barcelona on/off saga. Petit simply was not the same player that left the premiership and has had a very bad run of luck.

Marcel is the man I shall miss the most. I think that he came to us at the top of his game and has taught the club how to defend.

dizli   

I'd just like to say to you Mark that Gronkjaer would take my vote as to who the first you'd like to see leave. Such a waste, he always frustrated me with his wasteful balls.