Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

12,021 posts in this topic

Absolutely! He said the youth side and reserves were crap, pretty much, so there's obviously a lot of sense in bring in the talent for the next 4-5 years, and then home growing the rest after the new set up is in place.

Yeah, for all the money that's being spent, I get the impression

that he's building a Football Club as opposed to a team that's

looking for short-term success.

Sure, his priority right now is to get the first team ready for

the season, but at the same time he's looking to the future.

I honestly think we are going to see the benefits of JM's time

here for a very long time to come.

Just read the following quote on the Chelsea Official Site:

“The oldest player in our squad is Makelele at 31 years-old. I have a very young squad. We have a very good group, a very good atmosphere and I hope in a year we will not sign players. All the positions will be covered, two players for each position, all young, all great quality.

JM on his team. Looking good for the youngsters.

Boogle - That sounds like JM is going to kick Makelele to the curb next season. Outstanding!

We are in an absolutely fantastic position - leading the league by 7, CC Semis, etc - we have a truckload of money - the best squad on this earth (arguably) - but I still feel like we will never become a top team until our youth system gets a huge overhaul. Don't get me wrong - over the past few years we've produced some fantastic players (Terry, Huth, Cole, Forrsell, etc) but when you look at the likes of Man Utd in the mid-90's - their key squad members were mainly the home-grown players in Becks, Nevilles, Scholes, Butt, etc. Unless we can get to the stage when we are consistently creating talented youth players - we will never be the top side we are fighting to become.

I got to agree Frewn, Also I am sure I read somewhere that FIFA are considering limiting the foreign players again to 5 on the field at any time. We would do well to have a good youth system.

Does anyone on the Forum have direct experience or knowledge of what our youth system is like?

It seems to me that we are not only bringing through young talent from home shore's, but buying up a lot of the best from around the world. With our feeder clubs and I read an article that stated that Mr Abramovich is an administrator on the MSI (media sports Inter - something ?) which looks like a perfect cover for a feeder company for Chelsea, that picks the best North/south american and asian youth.

I may be well wrong? we could be lacking behind, but I can't believe that the brains behind the new Chelsea has not planned for that!

Only Terry is the home-produced player. We bought Huth, Cole and Forrsell, so they don't count.

Other successes (contrary to debate)are Jody Morrss, Eddie Newton, Duberry and Sinclair.

To be honest, our youth system up-to-date is shambles. However, the last 6 months is contrary to this (I.e. Cobham, Mourinho stresses the importance lof Youth system, the signing of the Reading Youth manager).

In 3-4 years time, I'm sure we will see the first signs of a burgeoning Youth Development of Exceptional Chelsea players.

In a way I agree with you. We do need to overhaul our youth system (and I believe this is already underway) but I don't think this has anything to do with whether or not we'll be successful or considered a 'top side'.

Looking at Man U, it's clear that the Giggs, Scholes, Becks generation was a fluke. Ever since, they've tried to replicate their youth system's success (and have spent a lot of money in doing so - I understand it costs them over £3m a year to run their academy) and what have they produced? Wes Brown? John O'Shea? Mediocre players every one. Look at Liverpool and Arsenal and it's pretty much the same story. Millions spent on youth development with very few players of true quality coming through. [And these are clubs who get the very best raw material to work with]. On balance, poaching the best young talent from abroad gets much better results.

But I agree we should do more. Not because it will make a real difference to whether we're successful or not. It's just that it means so much more to the fans when a young player comes through the ranks - it's an emotional choice rather than a logical one.