• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

Chrisb   

I only saw extra-time and we were lucky not to loose it during that period. The lads looked like they were running on empty as City created several overloads. They really should have scored from one of those, just glad that they didn't.

Watched the whole game and City had some great chances during normal time but failed to take them. We had chances too but you could see the legs getting heavy in the second half so to go on and win after extra time was a great achievement. Hope they beat Man U in the final now.

Fantastic comeback in FA Youth Cup final tonight, 4-6 down at halftime, win 7-6 in injury time!

I watched the first half and couldn't see a way back so watched GOT instead.

Looks like the three half time sub's were a Viveash masterstroke.

Holymoly   

For all the criticism of our youth policy by the media the success of our youth teams over the last few years surely tells you we've got the best players in the country? If they're not good enough for the first team squad then it's not through want of trying.

No - it tells you we have more good young players than anyone else.

A competent young pro in every position, with no weaknesses and a strong bench. It doesn't tell you that our best two 18 years olds are better than the best two 18 year olds at any other club.

paulw66   

A competent young pro in every position, with no weaknesses and a strong bench. It doesn't tell you that our best two 18 years olds are better than the best two 18 year olds at any other club.

Well summarised. I went last night and it was very entertaining but not sure I got the impression any of them were potential first team players. I am sure several will go on to have pro careers, it just depends where that is.

You are better off having an abysmal youth team but with one fantastic individual. JT, for example.

Well summarised. I went last night and it was very entertaining but not sure I got the impression any of them were potential first team players. I am sure several will go on to have pro careers, it just depends where that is.

You are better off having an abysmal youth team but with one fantastic individual. JT, for example.

And with this law of averages it is difficult to understand why the club used to sink so much money into 16 year old signings from abroad, or 18-20 year olds as it is doing now.

I think that Baker or RLC have as much chance of being first team players as any of the 15 or so project playersin our loan stables.

Yep.

I saw two players last night who I'd back with my own money to have 10+ pro appearances in 18 months time. Admittedly the standard of competition plays some part in this, but neither were Chelsea players.

Edit- should say though that it was a wonderfully entertaining game, and full credit to the kids for their fight and spirit.

Edited by thevelourfog