• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

According to calciomercato we signed a 15 years old Italian Fabio Borini from Bologna.

The 'Arnesen revolution' continues - last year we brought in 8 first years and a second year, this year we've already brought in 14 first years and a second year.

Chelsea beat Co. Londonderry 1-0 tonight in the Milk Cup, junior Section

Here's a vague match report. Seems that the star of the show was Milan Lalkovic .

I was at the 2 chelsea matches at the milk cup - beat county londonderry 1.0, got beaten by Aspire (the qatari national u16 team 2.0)

In the londonderry match the opposition dominated for long periods and were unlucky not to get a draw, they had the benefit of a very vocal home support, but chelsea were techinically the better team and were always dangerous on the break. In the Aspire game, chelsea, with virtually the same starting 11, were very poor indeed, it was a performance with no urgency or passion - extremely diasappointing. The qataris totally dominated the game, had a goal disallowed and chelsea NEVER troubled their keeper.

Chelsea played 4.3.3. in both games with 2 wingers and 1 striker supported by 2 attacking midfielders and another midfielder sitting back.

Harry Isham - keeper in both games, against londonderry his kicking was poor and he struggled with crosses, good communicator though.

george saville - left back/played 1 half in both games, he's tiny, looks considerably younger than the others but is a good tackler.

billy knott - right back/played 1 half in both games, again tiny compared to the rest.

james ashton - played right back for 1 half/ left back for two, size as per knott and saville - the team had 3 'midgets' for fullbacks.

danny mills - played centre half both games and was captain. He is a gaint (compensating somewhat for the fullbacks). techincally a good player and likes to play it around and take the ball out of defence. Can also beat a few men. However, for someone so big his heading was poor - his mistimed jump caused the first goal against aspire.

rohan ince - centre half, played all the game against londonderry and 1 half against aspire. Again a giant and a very similar player to mills in that both are techinically good, like to play football and bring the ball out of defence. However, in both games this got the 2 players into unneccessary trouble, although they could usually get their long legs in to make a saving tackle. Against Aspire both players seemed nervous and were caught out of position a couple of times, the marking also wasn't great. They also didn't like players running at them and seemed to lack pace.

anton rodgers - centre midfield, played both games. The son of reserve team coach brendan (hopefully he will play for N.ireland some day!). Played in a defensive role whilst the other 2 midfielders got forward. Tidy player but I thought he gave the ball away too often against aspire.

Harry rubbins - centre midfield, played both games. looked techinically good in the first match and likes to get forward. Unfortunately he was carried off early against aspire and taken away to hospital with what looked like a broken wrist.

josh MacEachran - centre midfield, played both games. Chelsea's best player against londonderry and my MOTM. Has a lovely left foot and great vision, he threaded through some excellent passes against londonderry. He has a very good 1st touch and likes to get forward but can tackle and beat a man as well. Unfortunately he had an off-day on the next game against Aspire (no chelsea player can be pleased with their performance here), but looks to me like a player who could go places.

Milan Lalkovic - played both games. He had a lone role up front which meant he had to do alot of work and chasing which he seemed willing to do. Didn't have any servive against Aspire but looked good against londonderry with his pace and skill. However he was 1-on-1 with the keeper at least 3 times against londonderry but only took one of the chances.

Billy clifford - played right wing againt londonderry and aspire but dropped back to right back for the 2nd half against aspire. Did nothing of note in either game.

Bob kirobi - played left wing in both games, despite being right footed (a scott sinclair tactic ?) and looked good as he was always keen to take on his man and get forward. Always looked dangerous but was surprisigly subbed early in both games - he could have a future.

the rest of the squad was

Ben sampayo

alex lozowski

todd kane

reece loudon

adam gemili

jemal blackman

archange nkumu (played in centre midfield when rubbins was hospitalised against aspire).

some of these guys had brief substitute appearances but I wasn't able to identify who was who. chelsea have 2 more games on wednesday and thursday which I will report on if I go, but the performance today against Aspire has left me not wanting to do a 3 hour round car trip to witness that again.

Svend   
BRENTFORD 1 CHELSEA XI 0

A headed goal from Alan Connell helped Brentford record their first win of the pre-season with a 1-0 defeat of a Chelsea XI.

The only goal of an entertaining evening came mid-way through the second half when Connell met a Sam Tillen corner from the right and looped a header into the net from ten yards.

The home side probably just about shaded the game against their young but illustrious opponents but it took a fine save from Simon Brown, diving full stretch to prevent Harry Worley powering home an equaliser from a Phil Younghusband corner, to give The Bees their win.

The team representing the deposed Premiership champions had the better of the chances in the first period, and throughout, without really testing Brown and Brentford looked tougher in the tackle and comfortable in possession.

Miroslav Stoch forced a save from the Bees' stopper while Michael Woods just failed to turn home a Younghusband pull back.

Brown also denied Younghusband putting his own name on the score sheet while Stoch chipped wastefully and woefully over the bar after a nice jinking run.

Connell was at the centre of most of Brentford's best work, Charlie Ide shot wide after a nice pass from the match winner in the first half and after the re-start Connell came within a whisker of heading home a cross when Ide repaid the favour.

The young Chelsea team were still creating the clearer cut of the few openings, Sergio Tejera Rodriguez curled a free kick narrowly wide and Brown denied Younghusband again once again around the hour mark, and prevented Ryan Bertrand opening the scoring soon after.

But Brentford grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck twenty minutes in to the second period, Connell headed just wide from a Ben Starosta cross, Karleigh Osborne fired wide from a Paul Brooker cross and the Bees' defender had a header deflected wide.

The goal was coming and from the resulting corner Tillen's fine delivery was met perfectly by Connell for the game's only goal.

Chelsea tried to find a way back into the game; Younghusband curled a free-kick over and then smacked a shot against the crossbar after exchanging passes with Nana Ofori.

And when Brown saved from Worley with seven minutes left the game was won.

Brentford: Brown; Starosta, Mackie, Osborne, Basey; Brooker (sub Thorpe 84 mins), Mousinho, Moore, Tillen; Ide, Connell (sub Poole 84 mins)

Chelsea: Taylor (sub Searle h/t); Cummings (sub Magnay h/t), Pettigrew, Worley, Bertrand; Woods, Bridcutt Tejera Rodriguez (sub Ofori 60 mins); Ferreira (sub Van Aanholt h/t, Younghusband, Stoch (sub Neilsen 82 mins)

Link

I do believe Sam Tilen was ex Chelsea player, poor result, I wonder if Juni went, allways good to read his articles.

Juni   

Brentford 1-0 Chelsea Reserves

The Reserves suffered a second straight defeat but can take heart again from a decent performance whilst missing some bigger names. Their performance wasn't as good as the Hampton game last week but there were positives against a hungry Brentford team who chased down everything.

Chelsea started brighter with Miro Stoch getting free down the left a few times, but once more his decision making let him down on many an occasion. He did pull off a smart shot from 20 yards which forced a very nice save, but more times than not he held onto the ball far too long. Ferreira was getting a bit of joy on the right, but Tejera wasn't making much from the attacking midfield position. Younghusband had a chance he really should've done better with but his effort was tame.

Brentford had decent possession through the first half but Rhys Taylor didn't have a save of note to make. Worley was an absolute rock in defence the entire game, and took some stick from a partisan home crowd of at least 2000, if not more. Charlie Ide was their most useful player, checking out wide in their 4-3-3 and causing Bertrand a few problems.

Changes came at half time, with Searle, Magnay, and van Aanholt coming on, and Brentford came into the game a lot more. Chelsea struggled to make the ball stick up front, and so it kept coming back at them, although Worley and Magnay were dealing very well with the attacks down their side. If a goal was coming it was going to be for the home side, and on 66 minutes it arrived. Chelsea didn't defend a corner particularly well and Alan Connell looped in a header from 10 yards.

It pressed Chelsea into action but they still lacked a real cutting edge up front, even when Nielsen came on. Bertrand, who moved to the wing at half time, linked really well with van Aanholt and the two of them combined for a half-chance for the Dutchman, but on his weaker foot it was never going to worry the goalkeeper. Younghusband tested the goalkeeper from 20 yards again in a similar attempt to Stoch's earlier one, and then had the biggest chance of the match. A wonderful little passing move saw Younghusband with a massive chance from 15 yards, one which he smashed left footed off the crossbar and away.

In addition to Worley's outstanding game, Magnay and Bridcutt put in fine performances. Personally tonight I'd have looked for more from Woods and Tejera but in a congested game they can point to a lack of space, service, and a real attacking talent to look for. With Sahar at QPR, Younghusband took up the central striker's role but dropped into midfield too often, so there were no attackers and four attacking midfielders. Something to think about ahead of the season.

Team: Taylor (Searle 45), Cummings (Magnay 45), Worley, Pettigrew, Bertrand, Bridcutt ©, Woods, Tejera (Nielsen 61), Ferreira (van Aanholt 45), Stoch (Ofori 80), Younghusband

Svend   

It looks like to me, James Simmonds is on trail with QPR as no news has come about from either club,

as he was in QPR game today, I can only guess.

Teams - QPR Official Site

1. Lee Camp, 4. Zesh Rehman, 6. Micheal Mancienne, 5. Damion Stewart, 21. John Curtis, 18. Stephen Moore, 19. Simon Walton, 14. Martin Rowland, 11. James Simmonds, 17. Ben Sahar, 16. Marc Nygaard

Subs: 2. Bignot, 3. Barker, 7. Bolder, 23. Bailey, 22. Baidoo, 15. Simmons, 12. Cole, 8. Nardiello, 9. Blackstock, 24. Timoska, 20. St Aimie QPR

Reading further on -

trialist Simmonds were in midfield
from Here Edited by Svend

dooder12   

Thanks Juni,

I was wondering if Adigun Salami was ever purchased. It doesn't seem like it as Bridcutt plays a similar role. How is Liam doing in general? Do you think he may have good chance with Chelsea? How about Fabio Ferreira? I've heard him described as playing a bit like C.Ronaldo stylistically, although not as talented. He seems to have tailed off after some good early season form last season. Do you think this is his last season or that he should go on loan as he's 18?

Juni   

Salami wasn't, but that's not to say the club doesn't necessarily have him targetted for the future/signed on the quiet - I believe they still own Emmanuel Sarki but he's on loan at Westerlo until 2010, until he qualifies for a work permit, but that's been kept quiet too.

I've only seen Salami once, in the China u23 game, and he was good but in a bit of a different role to Bridcutt - Salami was more box-to-box whereas Liam is primarily a defensive midfielder who can get forward because of his style - if he smells a tackle he goes in for it full blooded and his momentum takes him up the pitch. As for his future, it depends, he was captain last night as Cork was missing, and having captained the u18s I expect he'll get this responsibility as and when, but I know he's looking for a loan, which is where he needs to really prove himself. He's short but he doesn't let that get in the way of his game, the problem is getting anywhere near a first team midfield which has Diarra, Mikel and Essien in its long term future.

Ferreira is similar to Ronaldo in his physical appearance - for a winger he's quite tall, strong, and he's broad, but they're not so comparable because Fabio doesn't have the same sort of skill set - he's quick and can fool people with his eyes but he doesn't have the stepovers and/or flicks - he does in practice but doesn't use them a whole lot in his game. As for his future I think he's physically ready to make some form of impact at the next level, which does need to be a loan as he's not going to get a look in on the wings for the seniors unless there's a crisis.

The reserves/youths should be leaving for the CYC in the next few days but I must say that I'm a little surprised that Sam Hutchinson, Jack Cork and Scott Sinclair are actually going - given the number of injuries that we have in the first team and the amount of time that they've spent with the senior players in pre-season. With the players who are out on loan, the kids in Malaysia and at least three players at the u17 world cup Jose is going to have just Worley and Grant to call on in cases of emergency/making up numbers. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few last minute changes to our squad.

On the subject of loans, Juni you say that Bridcutt and Ferreira are looking for them, whilst the same presumably goes for Worley, Bertrand, Cork and possibly some of the better second-years like Woods and Sawyer. Our reserve team is going to be almost non-existant. They've already kept on Pettigrew and Younghusband, possibly on a non-contract basis, and had to draft in a non-league 'keeper.

On another note, Dan Philliskirk has played two games in 2 days for England u17s in the Nordic Championships

http://www.thefa.com/England/U17s/FixturesAndResults/

Edited by chiswickblue

dooder12   

Thanks Juni. So Fabio is more Joaquin in style, right-footed direct, big and good pace and strength? Is that a better comparison. He seems to be a big game player, performed very well against Arsenal from what I've heard. Do you think he could be in need of a challenge in a loan move. Is he as good as either Filipe Morais or Filipe Oliveira?

How about your opinion of Grant. He's still at the club despite some myself included feeling he doesn't have the technical qualities to succeed. Still however, he was one of Wycombe's most consistent performers last season. Has their been any news that he'll be loaned out to a Championship Club?

Anyways,

Here are very short Skysport's highlights from the Brentford vs Chelsea XI game.

Credits to FootballHeaven of soccerpulse.

Edited by dooder12