• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

Jose on the academy:

“If you don't bring kids through the academy, the best thing is to close the academy,” said Chelsea manager Mourinho. “If the kids are not good enough or the work not good enough and you don't bring kids up, then close the door and use the money to buy players.

“You need to prove the academy works well and is worth it. It's only possible if the first-team manager stays for a long time, which in this club, in the last 10 years, was not possible. Now I'm trying to format Ruben and other Rubens in relation to my ideas, to his position.

“Imagine next week if there's a different first-team manager with different ideas. Some product, almost an added product, becomes an empty product and you start everything again. In this moment, the relation between the first-team and the academy is changing based on this stability that, at this moment, we are having.

“The first time Ruben trained with me was 18 months ago. In the last two or three weeks, he's been training with me every day. So, in 18 months, I think he remembers every word or feedback he's had in first-team development. This stability is important. The people in the academy feel they are working for something.

“Which is why tomorrow, when a boy who arrived at Cobham aged eight plays, is not Ruben's day but ‘academy day’.”

“One month ago, he played in Lisbon with the Champions League new generation, so you can imagine the difference between playing against Sporting academy, with 1,000 spectators, and then to play against Sporting in the real Champions League, at Stamford Bridge with 45,000 and all the lights on you.

“To be here since he was eight and to have the chance to play for Chelsea, his first game, is every kid’s dream. He was not one of the players that started the season with me. He didn't have a pre-season with me. But the way he's training with us, every time he comes, gives me the guarantee that – while not being an end product – he has the quality and the ambition.

“I'm so happy to give the kids a chance and, especially, when I give the chance and feel that they have the tools to answer well and make a career at Chelsea. An English player, 18, completely made in Chelsea - if he does it and if he succeeds, it's good.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/11283101/Jose-Mourinho-If-Chelsea-dont-bring-young-players-through-then-we-should-close-our-academy.html

Jose on the academy:

“If you don't bring kids through the academy, the best thing is to close the academy,” said Chelsea manager Mourinho. “If the kids are not good enough or the work not good enough and you don't bring kids up, then close the door and use the money to buy players.

There's something Mourinho and Droy would agree on.

Good read, I hope Jose makes good on those promises. The academy has become too damn good for us to have another fruitless decade.

^ Yes I have often agreed with posters here on that point.

“You need to prove the academy works well and is worth it. It's only possible if the first-team manager stays for a long time, which in this club, in the last 10 years, was not possible.

But I don't agree with this.

It doesn't seemed to have made life difficult for Southampton. or Villa. The players are either good enough to break through or they aren't. Simples.

Good luck for Ruben, but if I had a son wanting to make it as a footballer I'd send him to Fulham or Southampton, not Chelsea. And if I wanted to invest in young footballers to make a return, I'd be investing at a bottom half club or a club abroad in an easier league, not at Chelsea.

One of the ironies of all that City money flooding football is that it is doing more harm to youth football than to PL football.

Good read, I hope Jose makes good on those promises. The academy has become too damn good for us to have another fruitless decade.

We have had so many promises from the various managers in the past, that I don't see one more makes much difference.

It won't be JM's fault if no one breaks through (his track record on kids is actually very good).

paulw66   

It doesn't seemed to have made life difficult for Southampton. or Villa. The players are either good enough to break through or they aren't. Simples.

Good luck for Ruben, but if I had a son wanting to make it as a footballer I'd send him to Fulham or Southampton, not Chelsea.

In respect of point 1, you ignore 1. the expectation level and 2. the standard required at Chelsea

Villa and Southampton youth team players only need to be better or comparable to what is currently there. Our youth team players need to be as good as world class players in every position. Take Bertrand - squad player here, first choice left back at Southampton.

In respect to point 2 - I would expect the kids at Chelsea to get a better football education here than at other clubs. If you want your metaphorical son to become a better player than Chelsea would be the place. If you are more concerned at getting first team games by the age of 18, send him to a weaker team. Take Bertrand as another example; gets a great education at Chelsea but not good enough to dislodge Cole / Azpilicueta, so moves on to a team in the top half of the Premiership.

^ I don't want to repeat too much from previous posts here but ..

Expectation and Chelsea first team standard. Yes - it is harder for Chelsea to bring players through, and harder for young players to make it here. No one's fault particulalry, just a reason not to spend too much money on it, or to send one's son to Cobham.

2. football education - is it worth all that? Is it worth anything? Indeed is having your own parking space for your £100k car actually helpful for an 18 year old wannabee footballer? I suspect not.

And who have our best products been - Bertrand has almost permanently been on loan. he hasn't had a Cobham education he has had a Norwich and elsewhere education.

I've posted on this before, and there does seem to be a good correlation between going on loan for most of their youth career and football success for our kids. Indeed the best prospects don't go near Cobham.

^ I don't want to repeat too much from previous posts here but ..

Expectation and Chelsea first team standard. Yes - it is harder for Chelsea to bring players through, and harder for young players to make it here. No one's fault particulalry, just a reason not to spend too much money on it, or to send one's son to Cobham.

2. football education - is it worth all that? Is it worth anything? Indeed is having your own parking space for your £100k car actually helpful for an 18 year old wannabee footballer? I suspect not.

And who have our best products been - Bertrand has almost permanently been on loan. he hasn't had a Cobham education he has had a Norwich and elsewhere education.

I've posted on this before, and there does seem to be a good correlation between going on loan for most of their youth career and football success for our kids. Indeed the best prospects don't go near Cobham.

Devils advocate here but I suspect 9 out 10 dads would want their son to go to Chelsea, pick up a huge pay packet and first class learning/development for a few years. If they're good enough, they'll play top flight football somewhere regardless of how much first team loan action they see as a kid.

If not, they'll be 21-23 and have gone to a Championship/L1 club as basically their top earner and have a decent career marked out for them.

Edited by bluecueball

Devils advocate here but I suspect 9 out 10 dads would want their son to go to Chelsea, pick up a huge pay packet and first class learning/development for a few years. If they're good enough, they'll play top flight football somewhere regardless of how much first team loan action they see as a kid.

If not, they'll be 21-23 and have gone to a Championship/L1 club as basically their top earner and have a decent career marked out for them.

Except that of the very few good enough to have a choice, most will make it as a middle league pro wherever they train. I don't think there is any proven advantage to training at Chelsea.

(And don't think that a Chelsea cast off becomes top earner at a Championship club - they are in for a big pay cut. It is the 30 year old CF with a Championship track record that will get the best wages.)

But many Dads may well reckon that the £5k to £15k a Chelsea kid may get while still a teenager is worth grabbing irrespective of whether it helps or hinders the kid in his future career.

I'll be in England (London and Cambridge) next week to see friends, and I noticed we're playing Porto on Thursday at Aldershot. What's the easiest way of getting there? It's a bit of a trek it seems.

I'll be in England (London and Cambridge) next week to see friends, and I noticed we're playing Porto on Thursday at Aldershot. What's the easiest way of getting there? It's a bit of a trek it seems.

Waterloo -> Woking -> Aldershot, probably. Trains down southwest of London are a pain (where aren't they?), so take plenty of time to spare.

Waterloo -> Woking -> Aldershot, probably. Trains down southwest of London are a pain (where aren't they?), so take plenty of time to spare.

Okay, I'll have to keep that in mind. Cheers!

And I have to correct my previous post, the match is on Wednesday, not Thursday. Would be nice if it was closer to London...