• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

paulw66   

Report in The Times suggests RLC might look for a January loan.

I don't blame him. He always looks capable when he plays but he isn't trusted.

Young players coming through our academy may as well jump ship. As pointed out, Ake or more pertinently, Bertrand could do Baba's job and Luis' before him, Solanke or Bamford could do Falcao's,

I am fairly certain we will sign a 28-30 CM player in the January window and RLC will disappear into the wilderness

Musonda has been linked with Arsenal and Monaco but can't get a game for us against Walsall. Traore was one of the best players in the Dutch league and struggles to get a go on the bench.

If we are going to have a disaster season, we may as well do it and see if any youngsters can hold their own.

bluepuma   

Slightly off topic but as the forum seems dead as a door nail at the moment I thought I'd stick it in.

On the back of Jesse Lingard and Paul Pogba's appearance in last night's International Friendly, Sky Sports today ran a "Where Are They Now" piece on the other members of the 2011 FA Youth Cup team they both appeared in.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/15115/10070275/manchester-uniteds-2011-fa-youth-cup-final-winning-team-where-are-they-now

You may recall that they beat us in the Semi Final, when our team, by comparison, was

Blackman - Kane - Kalas - N Chalobah - Deen-Conteh - Saville - Devyne - Ince - Lalkovic - MacEachran - Nditi

Very good and interesting story by Juni here

http://thechels.net/2015/11/do-mourinhos-numbers-back-him-up/

“In the first-team squad we have seven under-21 players who have 26 starts and 12 substitute appearances this season, and 43 appearances on the bench (when they were) not used.”

It was a curious riposte from the beleaguered Jose Mourinho on Monday when pressed as to why he continues to struggle to integrate youngsters into his Chelsea first team squad. It’s not the first time a manager has come prepared, armed with statistics to shoot down questions from anxious journalists, but the subject matter rarely warrants such a studious reply.
.............................. (a long article)

For some reasons I can't comment on that page, so I hope he sees this here:

"Kurt Zouma, Anthony Martial, Memphis Depay, Emre Can, Dele Alli, Calum Chambers, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Raheem Sterling would start for a great many teams."

And indeed they did start for other teams.
The interesting thing for me is that the sum total starts by own academy players there is approximately zilch. The exception being perhaps Munir and Sandro, but they both spent last season at Barca B.
All your list (and Baba) were bought in from lower clubs where they were playing regulary.
In other words there is no point comparing Chelsea to the other clubs - none of them have brought through home produced players.
The right question is whether they are all wasting their time (and whether the UEFA 4 club trained player rule is actually damaging the careers of young players who get bought out by big clubs but then cannot go on load to develop their career).
btw - on JM and height - it is ability in the air that counts, and I am sure JM sees it that way too. We don't use our tallest players to man mark on corners, we use the most effective ones (often Azpi)

Galol   

I was watching the Man City vs Southampton game and found asking myself why did we let Bertrand leave again? He's as good if not better than Luis and Baba. He could've deputized for Azpi when required and would've saved us a fortune. I just don't understand Chelsea's recruitment and retention strategy.

Sciatika   

Agree with that but maybe Bertrand didn't want to be just the deputy to Azpi.

lzheyi   

Bertrand made the right choice.

He is now pushing for England starting eleven since he left us.

Had he stayed, his fate would be similar to RLC, Mata, Lukaku, etc.

The excuses regarding our young players given by Jose, just need to ignore and take a pinch of salt.

As long as he remains as our manager, our younger players will forever be labelled as not ready.

The article from Juni's speak my mind too.

Of course, these are our opinions and not to expect everyone to agree. Certainly Droy will disagree as he always believe youth investment is a waste of money.

jones   

The Bertrand discussion is so lame. He wanted to leave, and despite being decent will never be an Ashley Cole. That is our standard. That is what a first choice LB has to be like at Chelsea. And he did not want to be a back-up, which is totally fine. But fans need to stop whining about this.

I am more intrigued by Nathan Aké. Definitely doing it well at Watford. Tactically strong, good in the air and seems like a humble and loyal guy - a true Mourinho player. Looks like he will enter the summer with around 30 PL appearances under his belt. Could definitely make him Chelsea ready - I suspect it was inexperience that kept him out last season. Interestingly, Baba Rahman is one year older than him and will for sure play less than him this season. So what will happen in the summer? Will an ageing Ivanovic mean he will be Azpilicueta's cover on the right? While Baba (the attacking LB) and Aké (the defensive LB) fight it out for one position?

Bertrand made the right choice.

He is now pushing for England starting eleven since he left us.

Had he stayed, his fate would be similar to RLC, Mata, Lukaku, etc.

The excuses regarding our young players given by Jose, just need to ignore and take a pinch of salt.

As long as he remains as our manager, our younger players will forever be labelled as not ready.

The article from Juni's speak my mind too.

Of course, these are our opinions and not to expect everyone to agree. Certainly Droy will disagree as he always believe youth investment is a waste of money.

Well certainly youth is a waste of money. I doubt anyone is seriously going to argue otherwise - except for the middle ranking teams.

Southampton, Villa and Everton and Spurs have done well out of it, but even then they are really making money by taking promising players though the 2 year period around 20-22 when playing PL football would be good for them, but they aren't ready for the top 2 or 3 teams.

Arguably the money these clubs have made on developing youth has cost them CL entry and in Villa's case has risked relegation.

But so what - if RA wants to spend the dosh it is his decision.

But where I really disagree is that the club (least of all JM) have been shy of playing PL ready players. Kenedy for a start. Zouma.

The issue really is that having such a massive strong youth and U21 squad we think that beating everyone around means that our best player is better than anyone else's best player. But in fact it just means that the weakest 3 players in our 11 are a lot better than the weakest 3 players in our opponents.

Again and again people get confused between youth quantity and quality.

Look at the hype over RLC, Boga, Colkett & Musunda. Everyone says how good each is. Nobody comments that if you put all 4 of them together, of course they will blow other U21 teams off the park. And the 2 strikers will get a lot of goals too.

Again and again we send players off to the championship and they turn into decent Championship players.

The future of this club is not Ake, but Nathan

Nathan, Kenedy, Traore, Baba & Zouma (and Hazard and Oscar and Courtois and Azpi and Mikel and Ramires who all arrived at the club young but already experienced at adult football).

And all* of them have played at a much tougher (adult) level of football than the guys we have in our Academy or at Vitesse.

(I'm counting Traore's appearances for Burkino Faso here)

xCELERYx   

^ It isn't that black and white though. Every individual player is different. The likes of Zouma, Oscar, etc while obtained young, came at significant costs and were already playing first team football for their respective clubs at the time, usually in their nations heights division. Naturally, when signing them they had a vastly greater chance of featuring in the first team here and were afforded that chance. Younger players like Ake, Bertrand and other younger players who were either signed at much younger ages or joined at school boy level are treated considerably different with their development. They feature through our youth ranks for a period and then end up out on various loans, some may get a brief taste of first team football here before being moved on. In some cases, that's fine. Some simply aren't good enough, Other times, the lack of opportunity and openings means that a player has two options; continue going out on loan until eventually sold/released, or finding a new club to establish themselves at where they will be given far greater chances.

We're one of the few top clubs that stifles their brightest prospects at youth level because we don't really give them a chance to really show what they can do beyond garbage minutes here and there. Some trust is needed in these players. We all know they'll make mistakes at times, they'll not be at the level some of the more senior players, but that's the learning curve some need. This season we could, and should have, given someone like RLC a more significant run than he has had given the poor form of some senior players. Instead get got a sniff and was singled out for criticism and has barely featured until the last few moments against Tottenham. Yet, someone such as an Oscar, has been given all the time and opportunity in the world despite being incredibly inconsistent and failing to really prove he's anything more than a rotational piece.

There are two very different methods of treatment for players, it just largely depends which camp said player comes from. We treat our youth as poorly as Italian clubs have done in the past.