• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

Svend   

Other news, Chelsea reserve team player Michael Mancienne who is out on loan at QPR has made the squad for England Under 21 to play Romania on Tuesday 21 August.

There were fresh call-ups for Martin Cranie, Craig Gardner, Michael Mancienne, David Wheater, Michael Kightly, Fabrice Muamba and Dexter Blackstock.

Michael Johnson, who scored the winner for Manchester City against Derby last night, was also in the squad of 21 for the Ashton Gate clash.

Link

Great news for him, moving up from England under 19.

P.S If you wanted to know full 21 man squad , this is the link

Edited by Svend

db12d1   
Jack Cork set to join Championship side Scunthorpe in near future.

In loan or permanent deal?

Shame that they didn't call Sinclair to U21 squad.

Edited by dannyb1

Juni   

Reports suggest Cork is a loan deal, I'd have expected nothing else.

Good to see it's a Championship move.

It's quite a good indicator of how highly rated Mancienne is to get his chance at u21 level, and for the majority of us who don't watch much Championship football it shows that he must be doing something right. I don't believe the club would offer him a 3 year deal unless they believed he'd develop into a decent addition to the team/squad. Same goes with Sinclair: offering an 18yr old a 4 year contract, on top of the 'proper' squad number shows they have every faith in his ability. I'm sure all would agree it would be nice to see some of the prospects we've groomed make an impact for the Blues at some time in the future.

I rate Jack Cork very highly, but I feel he needs to start to pick a position he wants to play in and start to nail down the qualities it takes to succeed in that position. From what I know he's a capable midfielder and defender on both sides of the park and through the middle. I'll be keeping an eye out for Scunthorpe now, along with QPR and Norwich to see how the loanees are doing.

Juni   

Confirmed by Scunthorpe, loan until January 2nd.

I expect he'll play in defensive midfield and that's really where he's at his best, but the fact he's good elsewhere is a big benefit for him for the future, it's not harmed Essien.

So begins another season of academy football at Chelsea. After elimination from The Champions Youth Cup in Malaysia, the boys will begin their season on Saturday August 19th away at Arsenal. The season ahead holds promise and excitement, but largely intrigue, as another summer of activity has seen large turnover in the under 18 ranks, resulting in a young team of first years for the year to come. (Philip Rolfe)

http://www.CFCnet.co.uk/content/results_detail.asp?ID=6613

Frewm   

Question: When was the last time we made any inroads in the FA Youth Cup? I can't remember our last good run, and I was disapointed we didn't do better last year especially after the fabulous start we made to the league campaign.

Question: When was the last time we made any inroads in the FA Youth Cup? I can't remember our last good run, and I was disapointed we didn't do better last year especially after the fabulous start we made to the league campaign.
I agree, but youth team success has a very low priority. The emphasis is on fast-track individual development: youth team to reserves to loan spell to fist team squad or the boot. Every season is marked by significant youth team squad changes with little chance of developing team understanding and team peformance suffers as a consequence.

cfcgav   

We were well beaten yesterday by a much superior team.

Started brightly, Sawyer scored with a header from Morton's cross and we were looking quite strong until they equalised late in the first half. Our midfielder (I think his name was Bruma) was dispossessed for the umpteenth time on half way line and they broke away to score.

2nd half looked very much men against boys, Arsenal always seemed to have much more time on the ball and opened us up down the right a number of times.

Magnay at centre half and Morton (I think that was his name) up front did well. Stoch was busy and kept gooner defence on their toes but that is about it.

Particularly disapointed in Sawyer, his 2nd touch was always a tackle and then berated anyone else who dared give the ball away. This is the first time I have seen a youth game so not sure if this was an understrength team or not. Maybe regular followers of the academy can give more info.