• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

Reece James has just been named Wigan's player of the month for the second month running, think he was also voted our Academy player of the season last year. Sounds like he is doing better in the championship than Aina did at Hull last season.

paulw66   
3 minutes ago, Lump Of Celery said:

Reece James has just been named Wigan's player of the month for the second month running, think he was also voted our Academy player of the season last year. Sounds like he is doing better in the championship than Aina did at Hull last season.

If you go on a Wigan fans forum, like this one, they all think he will play for England. When there was rumours of Brighton bidding £10m for him, the suggestion from their fans was that we would be mad to take it. Appreciate they judge from a different level to what we do, but still, very encouraging. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

If you go on a Wigan fans forum, like this one, they all think he will play for England. When there was rumours of Brighton bidding £10m for him, the suggestion from their fans was that we would be mad to take it. Appreciate they judge from a different level to what we do, but still, very encouraging. 

Whenever I've seen him play he always looks a very solid prospect , another one in the bank for the future methinks. 

7 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Stop being silly. 

Torino > Championship by some distance. 

Even if they were, and I doubt it myself, most of Torino''s opponents aren't, and some would struggle in Div One.

chara   

Just asking...is it better for prospects to be loaned out or play for the "reserves"/youth sides and hopefully learn the "Chelsea" way?

I ask because Tammy at Swansea was not a good thing for him although Derby seem to be handling young Mount better. JT benefited from a loan but very few seem to return and prosper.

Genuine question with no agenda.

37 minutes ago, chara said:

Just asking...is it better for prospects to be loaned out or play for the "reserves"/youth sides and hopefully learn the "Chelsea" way?

I ask because Tammy at Swansea was not a good thing for him although Derby seem to be handling young Mount better. JT benefited from a loan but very few seem to return and prosper.

Genuine question with no agenda.

Very few stay and prosper.
Or rather most prosper, but only a few at PL level, and very very few with us.  

Part of that discovery period is by necessity a season at a club one level too high.
I don't think going on loan makes any difference to that, though it is perhaps a faster way of finding out what a player will achieve.

chara   
34 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Very few stay and prosper.
Or rather most prosper, but only a few at PL level, and very very few with us.  

Part of that discovery period is by necessity a season at a club one level too high.
I don't think going on loan makes any difference to that, though it is perhaps a faster way of finding out what a player will achieve.

Thanks Droy..guess I knew the answer but wondered what others closer to home thought...seems many "lower" clubs have Chelsea "graduates"

Ham   
8 hours ago, chara said:

Thanks Droy..guess I knew the answer but wondered what others closer to home thought...seems many "lower" clubs have Chelsea "graduates"

Well Barca have historically schooled their prospects in the Barca way from the age of 5 upwards so who knows what's best.

23 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

Stop being silly. 

Torino > Championship by some distance. 

https://africanfootball.com//news/760209/Ola-Aina-My-time-at-Torino-has-improved-me-as-a-player

“It’s definitely a higher level than the Championship."  - Ola Aina

21 hours ago, paulw66 said:

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/football/latics/wigan-athletic-boss-reece-is-example-rest-should-follow-1-9429988

Seems the Wigan manager agrees with the fans