• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

Ham   
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

His Dad's name I gather is George Cole which I think is just brilliant.  Are you Dennis Waterman then?

Haha. His dad ran a fruit and veg stall in Camden and Joe used to help out every Sunday morning even after he became a professional footballer.

I do have a Denis Waterman story though. I was in the shed end next to the west stand benches on they day they recorded an episode of Minder. I was part of the large group who sang " Terry is a *anker" every time they said "action".  It took them 90 minutes to get about 5 seconds of usable footage. 

• Like 1

paulw66   

I will be at the San Siro on Sunday watching Milan - Cagliari.

Full scouting update on Bakayoko incoming. 

Under-18s: Chelsea 0-2 Tottenham HotspurPosted By chelseayouth on April 10, 2019

For a season at least, Chelsea have had to surrender their title as the undisputed Kings of the Under-18 Premier League South. Whether it’s Arsenal or Tottenham who official dethrone them at the end of the month, it will be entirely on merit, as Spurs showed with a battling but ultimately comfortable 2-0 win at Cobham on Wednesday lunchtime.

So my 2 questions to those that know much more about the Youth than I do, are

• What has changed that we are no longer the best?  And is it recent - or does it start as early as getting the best Under 8s ten years ago
  • Does not having a league winning squad affect the real task of getting talent good enough to start for the first team?  Does it even help?

PS thanks again to Juni for his sterling coverage.

Ham   

If there's one thing about our club that makes me proud its our marvellous under 19s.  

Just came back twice against Barca and then won the penalty shoot out.  

Into the CL final again. 

Take a bow. 

• Thanks 1

Ham   

FINAL IS ON MONDAY PEOPLE!

💙

Ham   

5pm today on BT Sport 1.

Juni   
On 10/04/2019 at 5:25 PM, Droy was my hero said:

So my 2 questions to those that know much more about the Youth than I do, are

• What has changed that we are no longer the best?  And is it recent - or does it start as early as getting the best Under 8s ten years ago
  • Does not having a league winning squad affect the real task of getting talent good enough to start for the first team?  Does it even help?

PS thanks again to Juni for his sterling coverage.

I'll try to be brief; this year's group of first-year scholars aren't as good as those that have preceded them, nor are they as good as the ones to come. It happens, it doesn't mean they're bad players, but when a perfect storm of events happens that challenges them more than your average year, you end up with a little drop in performance. The most tangible difference for them is that only two among them were in the club's full-time education programme before becoming scholars, so the rest were on day-release and had less exposure to the day-to-day environment by comparison to those that went before them.

One of those two was Tino Anjorin, who was too good for that level, so moved up to the U23s full-time before getting injured. Ian Maatsen did the same, so you've taken away the two best players in the squad, while you could also have had Hudson-Odoi and Ampadu if you wanted, plus Jon Panzo left. That's a core few teams can afford to lose, and when you consider that the previous years of dominance have come with a strong balance of second years, first years, and the odd talented schoolboy, you're now fighting without that experience and depth of talent. There was also a change of coach, which brings about new learning all-round, and even Myers himself missed a chunk of touchline time mid-season after rupturing his achilles.

You're also fighting against REALLY good Arsenal and Tottenham teams in the league - teams with that depth and breadth of experience across three age ranges - and they ran into Man Utd in the FA Youth Cup. They were their own worst enemies in that match but United are a very capable side and the lad that scored the hat-trick to knock them out played against PSG in the Champions League a couple of months later.

So there are some mitigating circumstances for the Under-18s, but no excuses, because that's the way this stuff goes. There's no entitlement to success, there will be down years, and it makes the success they have experienced all the more incredible when you apply that sort of context.

I don't necessarily think youth success is a great predictor of senior success on an individual level but, when the games programme at this age group is heavily centred around 'Learning to Win', I do think there's inherent value in the mentality it teaches you and requires to meet every challenge along the way. There are lessons to be had in winning and losing but it's ultimately down to how each player handles those experiences in their journey, and while we can learn from what's gone before us, desire is the one true wildcard that you can't legislate for.

Juni   

I appreciate that isn't actually brief, but then it's hard to be. I suspect I'll write more in-depth in my season reviews anyway.

33 minutes ago, Juni said:

I appreciate that isn't actually brief, but then it's hard to be. I suspect I'll write more in-depth in my season reviews anyway.

Thanks, I look forward to them.  I especially enjoy the reports and the loan goals you put up, which I get on an RSS feed.

I wondered if an issue has been more clubs competing for players at the 8-10 age group from about 10 years ago.  That fewer players are coming through the F/T education program suggests that might be true.
Any comment?

And thanks again