• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

Juni   

There's no doubt it's a more competitive environment to sign players now, the education thing isn't linked to that though, it's a mixture of whether the club feels the player is good enough to warrant that investment from Year 9 upwards, and whether the player and his family would rather stay in their current school because it suits their work-life balance better. Going into the full-time programme often means moving out of home and into digs earlier than usual, so that's a big upheaval for a 14 or 15-year old kid, and it doesn't suit everyone. It just means that if you come into your scholarship 'cold' as it were, you're learning more on the fly than you would be if you'd have spent a year or more getting ready for it on a (near)full-time basis.

One other thing, fewer players aren't coming through the integrated education programme, there are loads this year and a good number in the next two years, it was just this particular group that didn't have as many.

Ham   

Very interesting insight.  

1 hour ago, Juni said:

One other thing, fewer players aren't coming through the integrated education programme, there are loads this year and a good number in the next two years, it was just this particular group that didn't have as many.

Excellent - thank you.  (for some reason the like icon hasn't come up on your post - curious).

Out of interest, just how much education commitment do young players have thought to 18.  For example CHO or Ampadu this year?  

On 29/04/2019 at 0:15 PM, Juni said:

I appreciate that isn't actually brief, but then it's hard to be. I suspect I'll write more in-depth in my season reviews anyway.

Always love reading your stuff about the youngsters... many thanks for all your previous posts, and those to come!

2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Always love reading your stuff about the youngsters... many thanks for all your previous posts, and those to come!

Agreed - add another to the list of those that really appreciate your updates Juni.

Juni   
On 30/04/2019 at 0:21 PM, Droy was my hero said:

Excellent - thank you.  (for some reason the like icon hasn't come up on your post - curious).

Out of interest, just how much education commitment do young players have thought to 18.  For example CHO or Ampadu this year?  

It varies, but the answer is 'not much' after their GCSEs (which are required by law of course, and Chelsea have had mostly good results from their relationship with the school they work with, the lads are educated on-site at the training ground). Some lads who are academically-minded do pursue a near-full A Level load (Richard Nartey and Ruben Sammut have done this, for example), others might dabble in extended education but they mostly sign their pro deal on their 17th birthday during what would be their Year 12 season and don't go a lot further.

jangz   
On 4/30/2019 at 9:45 PM, McCreadie said:

Agreed - add another to the list of those that really appreciate your updates Juni.

The last 8-9 years I have been on this forum.. I think Juni could easily get a role as a part of our scouting network.. :)

Rob B   

Not sure this is the right thread but Reece James got stretchered off for England u20s this evening.

I haven’t seen the injury but there are plenty on twitter who have, and they said he was down for about 8 minutes and needed oxygen so not looking good.

Reports that he went straight to hospital with a suspected broken ankle.

Awful news for the kid and dreadful timing - just like CHO and RLC 

Ham   

Positive reports that it might not be as bad as first thought.  Maybe out for a month. Fingers crossed. 

Jake Clarke-Salter was named on Monday morning as captain for England’s campaign at the European Under-21 Championships which began yesterday in Italy.

The central defender, who spent last season on loan at Vitesse Arnhem, won the Under-20 World Cup in 2017 playing alongside Chelsea colleague Fikayo Tomori who is also in the squad for the Under-21 tournament, as are Tammy Abraham, Mason Mount and Jay Dasilva.

Clarke-Salter said: ‘It's a massive honour for me to captain England at such a big tournament like this. When I look at the players who have played in the Under-21 Euros, along with the quality of the squad we have now, it's such a proud feeling to be named captain.

‘It's a big responsibility to lead the team and make sure we keep our standards as high as we expect them to be on and off the pitch. We know we have a big job to do over the next couple of weeks if we want to achieve the success we hope and believe we can at the Euros.

‘We've got a lot of natural leaders in the team and a lot of talent and we're going to do everything we can to try and win this tournament.’

The Young Lions, who are managed by Aidy Boothroyd, begin their group stage tomorrow (Tuesday) when they take on France. They then play Romania on Friday and Croatia a week today. The group winners and one second-place team qualify for the semi-finals.

England reached the semis two years ago where they lost on penalties to Germany but have not won the tournament since 1984.