Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

12,021 posts in this topic

Hasn't that been a major focus of Mourinho's?

He's written and presented a document on how he wants youth players developed, he's been a regular at the reserve and youth trainings, and Chelsea have recently moved into brand new, state-of-the-art training facilities. What more can they do to improve the youth system? Mourinho has publicly stated that he wants Chelsea to develop many first teamers.

er.. Huth and forssell were not products from the youth team though. Huth was from union berlin and forssell from helenski, so they hardly count. but chelsea sure are stepping up in producing more home grown talent, so lets hope the likes of manicienne and watt come good.

Not totally agreeing with you tthere, when was the last time Utd produced a player equal in quality to Becks, Giggs, Scholes ??? many years ago

It was a one-off when Utd produced a group of 5-7 top class players!

You can't plan for those scenarios my friend, although you can give yourself a bigger chance of doing that by investing and heavily maintaining a top notch youth system which Utd do and also brilliantly take advantage of their universal fan base!

Although I do agree that Chelsea haven't had had the best results from the youth system in the last 15 years, but when someone like with the quality of JT pops out, we at least know there is top class qaulity to be unearthed :)

If Huth, Cole & Forssell don't count, then why do we keep mentioning Beckham & the Nevilles? They were "bought", too, at young ages, just like our three. Fail to see the difference, personally.

Creating a consistent youth policy also relies on luck. Man Utd are touted as the role model for youth talent but when you look at the Fletchers, Richardsons etc... of today, you can see that they're not a patch on the Beckham, Scholes etc... of yesterday.

quote:Originally posted by Michael Tucker

If Huth, Cole & Forssell don't count, then why do we keep mentioning Beckham & the Nevilles? They were "bought", too, at young ages, just like our three. Fail to see the difference, personally.

id="quote">

id="quote">

Exactly how I feel. If we bring them in while they're young and before they become 1st-team quality, then develop them into good players then I think they should count. Let's not forget that Beckham is from Leytonstone so he's hardly a home-grown youth product for the Mancs is he?

quote:Originally posted by Michael Tucker

id="quote">

id="quote">

Spot on MT and a view I have tried to put across a few times to people in the past but when, if ever, was the last time you heard this mentioned anywhere.

you´ll be amazed with the work that Mourinho is doing at the youth system.

wait 2 years and you´ll see.

he´s recruiting some of the ebst youngsters of the world to chelsea.

quote:Originally posted by I got id

you´ll be amazed with the work that Mourinho is doing at the youth system.

id="quote">

id="quote">id, is there any danger of you EVER qualifying any of your comments?

You do this a lot, post comments that are not backed up by fact. Any chance of enlightening us to your personal relationship with Jose Mourinho?

Deciding who is and isn't a youth product is a matter of line drawing to a great extent. Huth counts as a youth product as far as Uefa are concerned for our CL squad, which is how Morais got a spot in the first team. By another definition, Steven Watt came from Aberdeen. Take your pick.

We've had plenty of youth players in the past, though the list since Matthew Harding (and other big money for purchases) arrived has reduced greatly. Percassi was Italian U17 captain wasn't he? I dare say our catchment area is now getting wider by the day. That's what money buys - the wider scouting network.