• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

I'm taking my son and I've offerd to take as many kids from his class as he can convince to go. Most will never have seen the inside of the bridge and could be a cheap and good way of starting off some future blues.... lets hope they dont all want burgers at half time?.

Only two Chelsea youngsters in the England Under 17 squad for the Elite Qualifying Round - Jacob Mellis and Ben Gordon. So no places for Adam Phillip, Daniel Philliskirk or Frank Nouble. The players will probably join up with the squad after the second leg of the FAYC on the 19th.

A possible problem is that England Under 18s, who don't play competitive games, have scheduled a friendly for March 16th - three days before the second leg - and Michael Woods, Tom Taiwo and Nana Ofori-Twumasi could expect to be called up. Hopefully the club will be able to withdraw them.

I imagine that Rhys Taylor, Sergio Tejera, Miroslav Stoch, Morten Nielsen and Gael Kakuta could also be facing international call-ups at that time.

Josh McEachran is in the England Under 16 squad.

Youth Cup: Skipper Excited by Bridge Semi

Wed, 5th Mar 2008

Knockout football at Stamford Bridge this week did not end with Wednesday evening's Champions League tie. The FA Youth Cup takes centre stage on Friday and captain Nana Ofori-Twumasi has been talking about his hopes for a good crowd.

The last time a Chelsea youth side made the final of the major competition for this age group was 29 years before the current skipper was born.

The FA Youth Cup was won in 1960 and 1961 with players who went on to form the basis of Tommy Docherty's exciting team that decade, including Peter Bonetti, Ron Harris, Alan Harris, Terry Venables, Bert Murray, Bobby Tambling and Barry Bridges.

With plenty of energy and resources now being channelled into the Academy with the aim of producing a steady flow of young players for our first team squad, this season's exciting run to the two-legged semi-final against Aston Villa has been attracting plenty of interest.

The youth team performance of the season to beat Port Vale 5-2 in the last round was hugely entertaining and Ofori-Twumasi believes a healthy Blues following at Stamford Bridge on Friday night could help tip the tie in our favour.

'It would be brilliant,' he says. 'We have done well so far to get where we are and we would be grateful to have the fans behind us, cheering us on to do even better. I think with their support we can go all the way, especially seeing how the Port Vale crowd gave them more motivation to do well.

'At the same time, it gave us a buzz,' the right-back reports on the 3,658 that turned out at Vale Park.

'We knew that they were going to be booing us at every touch so it just motivated us to do well and try to silence them. For our own crowd to be behind us, we would hope we would do well.'

For the Under 18s, more used to the open pitches of Cobham for their games, it is easy to appreciate how a crowd and a big stadium like the Bridge can spur them on, as it did when Leicester were beaten 3-1 there in the fifth round with goals from Morten Nielsen, Gaël Kakuta and Mirsolav Stoch.

'It was a great experience playing there knowing that the likes of John Terry, Frank Lampard, Didier Drogba and everyone else has been playing there,' smiles Ofori-Twumasi.

'Stepping into the dressing room motivates you and you just want to get out there and get on with it.

'Our performances are getting better and better each round and I think if we can play the way we played in the last away game, we can beat any team,'

The side that cruised past Port Vale with a Kakuta hat-trick, plus more goals from Stoch and Nielsen, contained several 16-year-olds, including two players still classed as schoolboys. They are joined by a few who have been regulars in the reserve squad this season.

'It is a great experience captaining them,' says the England Under 18 international.

'I really respect them and I hope they respect me. We all get on well so there isn't any problem. We have differences, some people like to be quiet but I like to talk a lot, try to get information and try to be impartial if people are moaning. I am a very loud person as well so I try to use that in games.'

Aston Villa are a strong youth outfit, currently top of their league and they have beaten Crewe, Colchester, Ipswich and Carlisle to reach this stage - but confidence is high in the Chelsea camp.

'If we stick to our game plan and play the way we know we can play then we can beat anybody,' the skipper insists.

'Our team has got players who are capable of doing damage and we have strength in depth. We all did well in our last cup game and we are looking to repeat that.'

All support for the young Blues will be most welcome on Friday at Stamford Bridge where there is a 7pm kick-off. Entry is free.

I'll be pitchside with my trusty camera grabbing photos of the game. Check back late on Friday/Early Saturday for a link!

I'm taking my son and I've offerd to take as many kids from his class as he can convince to go. Most will never have seen the inside of the bridge and could be a cheap and good way of starting off some future blues.... lets hope they dont all want burgers at half time?.

Or a visit to the megastore!!

Fantastic stuff!

Criminal   

Brilliant!

Good luck mate!

hahahahaha

burgers + drinks = Ticket season?

haha

I am going to Barnsley on sat but will come to ground

even live in east london

will ask few mates to come and enjoy

free entry to Stamford Bridge and watch Chelsea , what else u can ask?

Edited by slawle_cfc

db12d1   

Jacob Mellis, Ben Gordon and Gael Kakuta will be available (France also in the same group against England, Russia and Israel) as the competition will start in 25/03 six days after. Bruma probably won't be available as Holland will start in 13 until 18 of March. Italy with Sala and Borini(for some reason Borini wasn't in the last squads and games, but listed in the squad at UEFA site) will play from 26 and Ireland with Clifford (they also had other player in u17 Henssey or something like that but he is not listed in squad) will play from 13-18. Taylor will play with Wales u21 in 26 of March. Stoch, Nielsen and Tejera will have probably friendly as the U19 Elite round will start in end of April. And as far as I know Chelsea able to withdraw players from friendly international game.

On Friday night, Stamford Bridge will play host to some of the brightest talents in football as Chelsea and Aston Villa go head-to-head in the first leg of their FA Youth Cup Semi Final. For Villa, this is nothing new, reaching the final twice in the last decade, but for ...

http://www.CFCnet.co.uk/2008/03/06/youth-t...ge-this-friday/