Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

12,038 posts in this topic

NO!

Just so that you all no my answer to this question before I get replies moaning at me!

It's just that there's a Spurs fan in my office and he said to me the other day how Chelsea may as well scrap our Youth Academy as we will just buy the best youngsters around and can buy any new players we need to bring in.

I said...

We must keep our YA because every club has to produce home grown talent and we are building the best facilities in the world which should help us to produce some of the finest talent in the world. I said to him that yes we can buy young talent and most players we want, but our best player is JT and without him we wouldn't be walking away with the title this year. I said even if we produce only 1 JT every 5 years then that is fine by me because you MUST always have true blood in your team. You must have a player who loves the club he playing for not just loving the money he gets paid.

What do others think to this? To me it seems as though all the crap that is said about CFC and how we want to buy success is just being dreamed up by other fans who then presume that that is what we are doing and what we will be doing in the future.

I can't believe anyone is that stupid but then again he is a sp*rs fan > Jose has stated so many times I have lost count that to have a team with a mix of home grown players with the best in the world is what he wants, as you retain the sprirt of the club the never say die attitude that all the millions in the world can't buy ...

I agree with what you saying. You are spot on about having a JT every 5 years who actually CARES about the club rather than just buying the best 17 year old in the world who is from say Spain.

This Youth Policy and Academy is the Long term Plan to ensure that we can be self-sufficient and not rely on RA to fork out £50m for every player.

Your Spurs fan is actually jealous, he knows that we are finally stepping in the right path to building a great long term future. There was no incentive for Chelsea FC to create a new Youth Academy after the arrival of RA, but we did! That's because despite the arrival of RA, we are still focused on our LT future.

Going back to your point, yes it is better to keep the original youth team as having the right HEART is just as important as buying the most skillful players. I do think we need to buy SOME world-class youth players to mingle with home talent. You need to marry the two together.

For instance we could keep the Younghusband brothers, Watt, Hollands and also envisage to buy perhaps the next Pele from Brazil, the next Crufhf from Holland and the next Zidane from France.

RA's intention - as mentioned by Peter Kenyon on many occasions, is to make Chelsea "self sufficient" in as short a time as possible.

A good youth setup can help us to do this - whether we find another JT is a moot point, but even if we dont, developing players like Carlton Cole, Steven Watt, Robert Huth etc, who may not ever make the top grade, but could still pull in decent transfer fees can help in this.

One of the reasons CR was fired and JM hired was their attitudes to running the entire club, including the YA. CR wanted to coach the first team only, JM was hired to build the entire club. I think that probably answers your point. If you could recruit the best kids, it's cheaper than buying them and it is important to the spirit of the club, as you say. I think the investment in Cobham is closely linked to this objective too.

You could argue that what has been done is to buy players who have taken us to a level. Once we are at that level and proven successful, the club will run like a "normal" highly successful club, which makes 1 or 2 big buys per year instead of 6 or 7. A successful YA becomes a necessary part of the jigsaw.

Yes, it's important to have homegrown players for identity. However, at this stage the requirement is genuine quality too.

The idea's to have a complete club that produces quality youth to mix it with the best from the world. Real Madrid's an example with genuine quality players like Cassilas and Raul playing alongside signed players.

YES we must keep our youth academy. We need to produce another JT etc. I hate people keep saying we buy and buy , and not having a youth policy. We can trial young talent and sign them at a young age. remember we got James Page. the 10 years old 2 time golden boot winner from esserex soccer school(spelling?). PK said they chosen JM because he knows that JM will look into the youth.

Absolutely we should scrap it. Why do we need one when you can achieve greatness by buying truly magnificent 33 year old centre backs from Spain. Cheers Rafa, you make the game look so easy.

Oh and thanks for your best midfielder, he'll look very dashing in Blue.

No amount of money can buy a homegrown player like JT. I wonder what position the next World class player to come out of the youth team will be...?