• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

DP89   

Final score? Just turned it on, and Kerry Dixon did not look happy, so I guess we lost!

dooder12   

I know I may sound a bit pushy, but I expect more from our youth team against the likes of Brighton, especially with the class youngsters we have.

Codger   

> I expect more from our youth team against the likes of Brighton

Just out of curiosity, and ignoring your obvious snobbishness, why?

dooder12   
quote:Originally posted by Grahame Fendle

> I expect more from our youth team against the likes of Brighton

Just out of curiosity, and ignoring your obvious snobbishness, why?

id="quote">

id="quote">

No need for a character swipe Grahame. I was just pointing out that I expected more for the huge investment we made in the youth this year. Scott Sinclair, Bertand, Fernandes, Ferreira, and Worley just to name a few, are top players in their age group. I was hoping, as the team did (from what I read on the official website) that our young boys could get a round further in the FA youth cup, then they ever have before.

ChAoS   

the postives we can take from this loss is we have got such a talent in Scott Sinclair. Who needs Theo Walcott at 15million pound?

Alan1989   

Most of the players on the pitch were first year scholars and it was their first season in the youth cup.

I think we'll see next season how good these players really are and how many of them can break into the first team.

Scott Sinclair does look very Henry like, one for the future definitely.

Codger   
quote:Originally posted by dooder12

No need for a character swipe Grahame. I was just pointing out that I expected more for the huge investment we made in the youth this year.

id="quote">

id="quote">It wasn't a character swipe. Brighton are a team used to playing together, and up until December (at least) hadn't lost a game. People's perceptions are often skewed by comparing names, but in the youth (and other leagues) it's often irrelevant.

After all, Arsenal lost to Brentford in the 3rd round.

Yes, we invested considerable sums in the Academy but it's going to take time to pay off. Our reserve team is wierd, being an extension of the youth team and place to returning first squad members to get some fitness, and should a youth team player show some sparkle, they get loaned out or languish in the reserves. The only players I'll be keeping my eye on in the Academy at the moment are Scott Sinclair and Michael Mancienne. I had high hopes for Dean Smith at one time, having watched him I thought he was a great looking right back. He signed pro papers two and half years ago, and how many times has he played in the first squad?

I realise I'm completely off-topic now, but things need to change somewhere. Arnesen has been at the club just a few months and we've seen some positive changes - the signings you mention, the sum total of which is nothing like the money being talked about for Walcott and he'd end up in the Academy - off the pitch, but on the pitch I'm not so sure. Arnesen has just started, Rodgers and McGiven have been around for a while. I wonder who's more worried about their job.

Or, shock horror, perhaps José is just crap when it comes to youngsters...

We were out-muscled in midfield.