• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

Being at the top of a table is actually a bit of a concern, from my experience in other sports. If they're already among the best, the amount they learn from further games diminishes. They can get games in the reserve team to continue stretching them, but that leaves the reserves with nowhere to go unless they go out on loan to Championship sides.

We may well end up seeing a lot more of Morais to MK Dons and Hollands to Torquay to make up for that, though that will also help relations with feeder clubs at the same time.

Again, anyone who thinks being top of a youth table is some kind of target needs to reassess what the point is about youth development. It's nice but it's not the point.

quote:Originally posted by Harry Sideras

We may well end up seeing a lot more of Morais to MK Dons and Hollands to Torquay to make up for that, though that will also help relations with feeder clubs at the same time.

Again, anyone who thinks being top of a youth table is some kind of target needs to reassess what the point is about youth development. It's nice but it's not the point.

id="quote">

id="quote">

MK Dons and Torquay sound like exit trials rather than experience for the future - given the rapid inflow of new talent Arnesen is bringing, I guess players have to be pushed out.

I agree about being top - and many youth coaches have said the same. Being top of the league (PL included) is mostly about having the least bad 6th to 15th choice rather than about havig a few stars for the future.

quote:Originally posted by Droy was my hero

MK Dons and Torquay sound like exit trials rather than experience for the future - given the rapid inflow of new talent Arnesen is bringing, I guess players have to be pushed out.

id="quote">

id="quote">It doesn't follow that they're exit trials. But it is true to say that we have changed youth policy dramatically. Instead of now strolling round schools in the Battersea area and signing any kid who can kick a ball straight (or whose old man has a few bob and an executive box), we are now trawling overseas and are prepared to pay big bucks for potentailly talented players.

This is already paying off. Our youth side is looking exciting and a few have already graduated to the reserves (Sinclair in particular). However, there is still a lot of dead wood in the reserves and I expect something of a cull in the summer. And not before time.

Its highly likely that at least one, maybe more will graduate to regular first team football. But not for a good 3 years or more.

id="quote">

id="quote">

They may well be. I wouldn't presume to second guess what's happening there. Hollands isn't bad but he's relatively old and won't get a look in with us to be honest, and I've always thought Morais flattered to deceive.

With the step change in the youth players we've brought in it may just be a matter of development time that keeps a lot of Reserve players with us just for the moment.

Going to teams at the bottom of tables is interesting if it's deliberate. They have to drag the rest of the team up and can't expect anything to be done for them, which teaches leadership. It may also be that they're in the shop window to look good and for other clubs to pick them up.

But I'm guessing - we'll see.

poona   

With the recent young signings.. Tereja etc, it wont be long before the reserves are tanking the 1sts.

Alan1989   

Good to hear the youth doing so well, hopefully we'll see a few playing in the Premiership this season if we wrap up the title with games to spare, also in some pre season friendlies this summer.

quote:Originally posted by Bazzablue

id="quote">

id="quote">It doesn't follow that they're exit trials. But it is true to say that we have changed youth policy dramatically. Instead of now strolling round schools in the Battersea area and signing any kid who can kick a ball straight (or whose old man has a few bob and an executive box), we are now trawling overseas and are prepared to pay big bucks for potentailly talented players.

This is already paying off. Our youth side is looking exciting and a few have already graduated to the reserves (Sinclair in particular). However, there is still a lot of dead wood in the reserves and I expect something of a cull in the summer. And not before time.

Its highly likely that at least one, maybe more will graduate to regular first team football. But not for a good 3 years or more.

id="quote">

id="quote">

I agree that we have some dead wood. Danny Hollands probably falls into this category. However, I am suggesting that the youth players, like Smith and Sinclair, are given debuts for a few minutes. Both have already become reserve team players and rarely feature for the youth team these days. The futute is bright because we are looking to have a good base of homegrown players in 5 years time. Sometimes, if a youngster gets a taste of the first team, it really drives him on to get more action. Other times, a talented youngster looks to be developing well, then has a poor season, and then improves again. Anthony Grant may be a good example of this.

Ove   
quote:Originally posted by grantdesmidt11

However, I am suggesting that the youth players, like Smith and Sinclair, are given debuts for a few minutes.

Sometimes, if a youngster gets a taste of the first team, it really drives him on to get more action.

id="quote">

id="quote">

Couldn't it have the opposite effect as well, psychologically I mean. If they're rushed into a first team appearance, while still being a few years away from first team quality, couldn't that put a lot of pressure on them to do better than what you could realistically expect of them? Say they get a few minutes against Birmingham, then if they don't get any games next season, it would be easy to conclude that they've failed to deliver.

It's good to see the Chelsea youth improving. I'm not going to be surprised if they're going to be big someday.

quote:Originally posted by Ove
quote:Originally posted by grantdesmidt11

However, I am suggesting that the youth players, like Smith and Sinclair, are given debuts for a few minutes.

Sometimes, if a youngster gets a taste of the first team, it really drives him on to get more action.

id="quote">

id="quote">

Couldn't it have the opposite effect...

id="quote">

id="quote">

Yes, you make a good point, it could put pressure on the youngster, but I think it sends out a good message. That is, if you do well for the reserves, you will get a chance to train with the first team, and maybe get a few minutes if the opportunity arises. It may spur Smith/Sinclair etc on, and it may spur on some of the other players to emulate them. Also possible, right?