• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

Ove   

True, I think we've covered all the different effects now. :)

Alan1989   

Anyone know what the result was in our youth teams game today? Usually has it on the Premier League site but I couldn't find it.

Codger   

No game today, Alan.

Fixtures are here and judging by the table it looks like a few teams have games in hand over us right now.

quote:Originally posted by Ove

If they're rushed into a first team appearance, while still being a few years away from first team quality, couldn't that put a lot of pressure on them to do better than what you could realistically expect of them?

id="quote">

id="quote">

The gap between Youth and Reserve level is realistically bridgeable. The gap between Reserve and 1st team isn't. It's a chasm. I continue to think that any suggestion for a single minute of 1st team time is absolutely ludicrous.

The idea of loans to Championship sides is one possibility, while knowing they'd likely never face a single player of PL standard. But I'm taken by mention elsewhere of Vitesse Arnehm. They're a top division side in a weak league, which will contain the odd few good standard players and might provide a much more realistic stepping stone from the Reserves.

Codger   

From TOCFCWS

Five youth internationals in action

Friday, Mar 31, 2006

Chelsea provided five players in yesterday’s Under 17s internationals. All are in their first year out of school, their first year full-time at Chelsea.

At Barnsley, England drew 0-0 with Bulgaria, having drawn 2-2 with Italy two days before. England’s full-backs were our youth team captain and central defender Jack Cork on the right, our left-back Ryan Bertrand on the left, and our top scorer Scott Sinclair on the left of midfield. Sinclair was substituted with 20 minutes to go having demanded the best save from the Bulgaria keeper and then he hit the post. Against Italy the three Chelsea boys played the whole game.

In Portugal, midfielder Ricardo Fernandes and winger Fabio Ferreira both started against Ukraine in a 2-2 draw. Fernandes was substituted with 20 minutes to go, Ferreira played the whole game.

Both teams are in tournaments and have more games to play.

64blue   

This bodes well for the future. Is this an above normal occurence for us or do we normally have/supply this amount for U17 internationals?

Duffski   

...stick these guys in the first team, show them how we, the less well-paid guys do things... I can see it now...

"Sinclair with the ball for Chelsea, skips past Gerrard, evades a pathetic challenge from Hyppia, nutmegs Carragher, and chips it over Reina who has his arms flailing in despair!... all with his eyes closed!

...just as it will be.... what?... shut up!