Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

12,025 posts in this topic

Hmm... isn't buying talented youngsters and put them in the youth academy for a few years also considered a 'home grown'? Much like Robert Huth. I'd categorise him as a home grown. Well I say look at Man United. So they don't buy youngsters eh? Yes I know the Manc will tell u their history again that is in 1999 they produced the likes of Becks and Co. How long has it been since a decent player came out from there? And all they do is to go back to 1999, 1999, 1999.

Stupid suggestion, but thats Spurs fans for you. If we produce a few quality players per year, then yes they will be true blue, but would also have played together in the past, so would need next to no time to gel.

I think we should keep it and improve it - I.e. top facilities, good coaches, and I think we should make more of an effort to get top youngsters in - I know we are trying recently - but Arsenal always have amazing reserves - Lupoli, Senderos, Fabregas - and Man U have had Scholes and Beckham coming through. We never seem to have top youngsters, only mediocre ones e.g. Nicolas, Rocastle

Nicely put about JT. We def. need a YA academy and even if we have RA's money our goal is still to become self-sufficient and that means growing some of our own talent so that we dont have to buy every single player we use for millions.

We need an academy but it amazes me that we produce young players that can't even get a place at other teams.

I understand we will only get a few into the team over say 5 years but what does it say about the coaches that they train boys for sometimes ten years and at the end of it kick them out and they are not good enough to stay in pro football.

Our talent spotting needs to improve. Most clubs just pick the biggest boys for their age and hope they develop into something.

I’m afraid you are all looking at this with blue coloured specs. Yes we all like home grown talent, it makes us feel good. But if you look at it from a financial viewpoint, does it make sense to keep an academy, when you produce 1 Jt every 5 years and in between you get Leon Knights and not much else. Can the costs of keeping an academy be written off for tax purposes like Glaxos R&D costs are? I don’t know. Glaxo actually fund a lot of other companies now, to do their R&D and then take on the product if it looks like being a success...possible route for CFC

If we want to become a financially viable club, rather than just existing on Romans largesse, then these are the questions that have to be asked and addressed. You cannot keep pouring good money after bad.

I think this is something that needs and will become very important for the future of Chelsea Football Clubs success. Our youth team setup and reserves needs to be extremely strong...because JM is a manager who believes in himself, I belive in him too. He feels he only needs a squad of 24/25 players, and I doubt his opinion will change for next season. I see him shipping 2 or 3 players out in the summer and replacing them and also bringing in a left back a midfielder and an attacking winger to add to the squad. I expect next year we will have a squad of 26/27 players. BUT JM needs to start fulfilling his plans for a superb youth set up very soon! Because it is times like this, late on in the season with lots of games and when injuries and fatigue start to occur, you want to be able to call on good young players to play the odd game to replace people like Bridge etc if they get a bad injury. If you look at Arsenal and UTD they do have a strong youth setup and good youth players who can come in, whereas at the moment we are forced to play our players out of position I.e. Gallas, Ferreiera or Smertin at left back! Where I feel if we could call upon a young left back from our youth system to fill in for 4 or 5 games it would be great for the future and would be better for our team as a whole to have a naturla player for each position. If you get what I mean.

Before anyone moans at me I know JM wants to do this and we are aiming to set it up but I just feel it needs to start pretty soon, and we need to start recruiting the hottest young talent. What do you think?

I think the "hottest young talent" wont take kindly to playing reserve team football at Chelsea when they could be playing first team football elsewhere and probably staking a claim for an International spot.

When I turned on the televison this morning(Singapore), I saw this TV programme showing a U-15 Club Tournament Man utd hosted. It involved clubs such as Kashima Reysol(Japan), Corinthians(Brazil), Man Utd(of course), Man City, some African team, A USA club and some top European club and South American club, and lastly Arsenal. I saw Ferguson attending this youth tournament. I think this is an extremely good idea as this led to them having get all those talented home-grown talent. This is one of their way that made Man Utd one of the leading clubs with many talented home-grown youngsters. After the tournament, they get go on and sign the " MVP of the tournament" and sign the tournament's gems. I believe we should be following them (once Cobham is built), we should start hosting this kind of tournament,so we could scout youngsters easily. And recently we made our first step towards signing young talent by grabbing Lewis Baker and James Page (the 10 year old striker, 2 times goldenboot winner from Essere Soccer School), signed few months ago. We hosted a small tournament, which involved Chelsea, Leyton Orient, Pompey and Luton Town and we grab Baker after his impressive performances. Really love the way the club is running and the plan to sign more youngsters than spending millions.

Interesting post. Thanks.

Chelsea's youth movement is a long term investment. There is no one in our reserves or youth program at the moment that is ready to have the kind of impact that Gerrard or Adriano would have.