• Current Donation Goals

Boogle

Chelsea Reserve & Youth Team

Juni   

Nice post, thanks for that, a lot of it seems to fit with my opinions of the lads when I watched them in the Milk Cup last summer.

dooder12   

Great analysis! I'm a bit disappointed that Sinclair wasn't able to show his skills, maybe he is tired from playing a Reserve Game earlier in the week. Were the 2 young portuguese players, Ricardo Fernandes and Fabio Ferreira not playing?

I agree that Sinclair seems to be played out of position as a left winger. He has been disappointing playing there in the last few reserve games and it seems to have affected his confidence.

Ferreira looks brilliant on the right wing for the reserves and is definitely one for the future. Looks like a budding Ronaldo.

quote:Originally posted by DP89

Did Sam Hurrell play?

id="quote">

id="quote">

Only for the last three minutes when he filled in at left back after Bertrand limped off. There was no opportunity therefore to assess him but given the way he got his chance I'm sure Sam's working very hard to take it.

quote:Originally posted by dooder12

Were the 2 young portuguese players, Ricardo Fernandes and Fabio Ferreira not playing?

id="quote">

id="quote">

Yes both started: -

Ricardo Fernandes didn't have a particularly impressive game I'm affraid. He seldom produced the telling pass and didn't even manage to make a good contribution in terms of 'continuity' since too often he squandered possession. Jimmy Smith replaced him after an hour and looked far more impresive. I think Smith is more experianced and that showed. He played a little further up the pitch than Fernandes had done and his touch just seemed more assured and certainly more effective.

Fabio Ferreira is clearly talented and has a nice trick or two. What he seems to lack is the pace to really hurt people after he's fooled them with his trick. Defenders always seemed to be able to recover and have a second, or even a third, bite at him. The result of this was that he looked good but produced little.

My guess is that he will not succeed playing as a traditional 'winger'. I'd say he must build a solid passing game and play further up the pitch, whether that be wide or centrally, where it's less about going past his man and more about using his skill to buy time for the killer pass. Once again I may be wrong but, based on this performance, I don't see a future for Fabio as an out and out winger.

Alan1989   

So, judging from what you saw yesterday, do any of the current academy boys have what it takes to step up to the first team?

Valky   

I saw the first half and thought the number 10 with the shaggy hair looked a bit good. It's been ages since we had a decent youth team!

quote:Originally posted by Alan1989

So, judging from what you saw yesterday, do any of the current academy boys have what it takes to step up to the first team?

id="quote">

id="quote">

I don't really think I'm qualified to judge Alan since I've no experiance with which to decide how well the form I saw on Friday might translate to first team level. With that 'health warning' in mind however, my feeling is that Bridcutt (DM); Cummings (CF); Hutchinson (RB), Smith (AM) and Watkins (CF) all have a good chance of making a carear in football. Whether any of them might do so at Premiership level I wouldn't like to guess. In addition Bertrand (LB) seemed to be on the cusp and could make it too.

I don't mean to dismiss the chances of the others but these were the lads who took their opportunity to shine last Friday. I'm not confident that any of them could yet justify a place at Premiership level but Smith looks like he might be ready for a loan to a Football League side or perhaps to one of our continental partner clubs.